Elk bullet comparison

zeeman

Need some opinions: I am testing loads for elk hunting to 500 yards in a custom rifle chambered for the 300WM . I want to shoot either 210 Berger VLD Hunting , 210 Nosler ABLR or Berger 215 Hybrids. Defiance Deviant action , 24 " Proof bbl, and McMillan Stock. I can get velocities over 3000 and accuracy with all 3 but really am looking for the best HUNTING bullet. Performance in the field is my first criteria. Thoughts???

My only experience is a cow from last year with a 215 berger at 2950 shot at just over 200 yards.

Dead center shoulder shot and it dumped her like a neck shot.

I also took a WT at 235 with similar results. I think the 215 far outshines the 210 due to bearing surface and a little bc.

No experience with the ablr other than I hear they're prone to impact splash.

Here's my recovered 215 from the opposite shoulder.

Screenshot_20200311-194631_Photos.jpg

Lol the new WM. Load the traditional Accubond. The problem with elk is you might find them at 50 yards, not 500. ABLR is much more fragile in my experience. I've taken elk from 30 to 501 yards with the Accubond, no issues.
I agree. I use Nosler partitions 160gr in my Weatherby 7mag, and Accubond 160 gr in my model 70 7 mag. I have shot most of my elk inside of 60 yards, some as close as 25 yards. Longest was 2 years ago at 325 yards.

Also depends on what you expect of your bullet once it makes it to the target. If you desire a bang-flop scenario, Berger all day. The 215 seems to be worlds above the 210 based on Jeff Brozovich's experience. And he has experience. The ABLR is a totally different design and purpose. Get access to a ballistic app and see where a number of different bullets fall at your 500 yard mark as far as velocity and energy go. That should help some

All of your bullet candidates are excellent and you'll have fans of all of them here. I like the Bergers in the field and have killed elk well with them and their accuracy is outstanding but there is no question they border on frangible. Here is a collection that includes recovered bullets from many elk, so instead of just talking opinion, you can see actual performance variations:

Ya I don't wanna be that guy but seems you had all long range high bc bullets for closer range shots. Nothing wrong with the bullets you picked but none of them I would use at those ranges. I have a load for the 215 Berger for my 300 win mag for long range stuff but I use mostly 181 hammer hunters for 800 and closer. Cutting edge would be another good choice for that range. Like stated if one shows at 30 yards you don't want any doubt.

When and where is your next elk hunt?

That said any of your choices will work. This is just me, but for elk to 500 out of the 300 WM I'd be all over the 200 Noz Part, or the 200 Accu or the 180 NBT.

Also depends on what you expect of your bullet once it makes it to the target. If you desire a bang-flop scenario, Berger all day. The 215 seems to be worlds above the 210 based on Jeff Brozovich's experience. And he has experience. The ABLR is a totally different design and purpose. Get access to a ballistic app and see where a number of different bullets fall at your 500 yard mark as far as velocity and energy go. That should help some
The 215 hybrid?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.