Elk bullet comparison

The 215 hybrid?
Yes sir. Dozens of elk fall to that bullet every year either directly from Jeff himself or from someone in his hunting party. But all bullets you mentioned are good bullets. The one that shoots best is probably all you need to worry about at your listed ranges. I have never personally used an Accubond of any sort because my rifles don't like them. But the Bergers will do fine at any range, including close range. I would just avoid shoulder shots at high velocity as a small insurance

Using the 215 in a lone peak Ti and proof 24in barrel 300WM and my bullets have looked just about identical to the picture posted above. Nothing has gone more than 10 yards with a big blood trail.

I
Need some opinions: I am testing loads for elk hunting to 500 yards in a custom rifle chambered for the 300WM . I want to shoot either 210 Berger VLD Hunting , 210 Nosler ABLR or Berger 215 Hybrids. Defiance Deviant action , 24 " Proof bbl, and McMillan Stock. I can get velocities over 3000 and accuracy with all 3 but really am looking for the best HUNTING bullet. Performance in the field is my first criteria. Thoughts???
I wouldn't use a 215 at that range, I've personally had some really poor performance with them on elk even at LR.
They are explosive without a doubt, but I've also had them fail to expand.
I know a lot of guys use them with success but they are target bullets and behave accordingly.
Another bullet worth trying is the 200 grain edge TLR

Need some opinions: I am testing loads for elk hunting to 500 yards in a custom rifle chambered for the 300WM . I want to shoot either 210 Berger VLD Hunting , 210 Nosler ABLR or Berger 215 Hybrids. Defiance Deviant action , 24 " Proof bbl, and McMillan Stock. I can get velocities over 3000 and accuracy with all 3 but really am looking for the best HUNTING bullet. Performance in the field is my first criteria. Thoughts???
I've shot elk with all three of those and the only one I load in a 300 win is the 215, I've seen it pile up so many elk with one round from inside 100 to over 1000, I shoot them in my 308 also and it is a hammer there too.
I've watched bulls take them right in the center of the chest and rips them down. I've seen bulls shot from every angle and only saw one bull able to hold his feet long enough to hit him again, one bullet blew his lungs to shreds the second broke both shoulders at 500. It's thee most lethal bullet I've shot in a 30 cal, the 230 Berger is right there in larger cases like the RUM though.
The ABLR blows holes out the entrance then plugs through if enough of is left, largest entrance wounds I've seen since using the original Ballistic tips, I've never used it past a couple hundred though but I think it would be an excellent long range only but we do hit them in timber and the 215 made us happier.

When and where is your next elk hunt?

That said any of your choices will work. This is just me, but for elk to 500 out of the 300 WM I'd be all over the 200 Noz Part, or the 200 Accu or the 180 NBT.
Next hunt Wyoming hopefully this year. Got 6 points for 38

I use Berger drt each time never looked back 11 kills no tracking all were elk 125 yes to 700 yds

well you can move the 215 gr Berger Hybrid faster with less pressure then the 210 vld and they kill very good at long ranges use them on everything

I have never shot an animal with a 215 Berger, but I shot all of my animals this last season with a 210 ABLR out of my .300 WM. Closest was a bedded six point bull at 25 yards in the back of the neck/base of the head. Exited right below the chin. Shot a cow elk at 100 yards right through both shoulders. She stumbled forward and face planted. Golf ball size exit. Shot a mule deer buck at 618 yards behind shoulder and also a golf ball size exit. He dropped in his tracks. Two does at 80ish yards. One through the front shoulder and other behind shoulder. Both dropped in tracks and had golf ball size exits. Only bullet I recovered was in the dirt in the hillside behind the cow elk. Nice little mushroom that still weighed 170 something grains.
So in my experience they are an excellent hunting bullet. I would not worry about terminal performance. They were a bit more work to get a well tuned load. I ended with 78 grains H1000 and bullet seated .050 off lands and it would give me 2940 FPS with consistent .4-.5 inch groups. However, that was after a handful of attempts that were giving me 1-2 inch groups

Yes he's referring to the 215 hybrid. Google 215 berger for elk and you'll find several threads detailing the 215 from the Broz. Some are on here and some are on his site. He goes into great detail from starting out on antelope does through bull elk with pictures showing the damage.

Using the 215 in a lone peak Ti and proof 24in barrel 300WM and my bullets have looked just about identical to the picture posted above. Nothing has gone more than 10 yards with a big blood trail.

What kinda speed are you getting from your 24 inch Proof 215Berger ?

200AB, not the LR version.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.