Electronic Powder Dispenser

Guys - I'm new to this forum so sorry if this has already been discussed.
I am trying to find out which electronic powder dispenser system is the best (trouble free and most accurate). So far I know about RCBS and Lyman. Todate I have been using a RCBS manual dispenser, throwing my loads a little short and then using the powder trickler to finish them off. Just looking to speed this process up a little.

Thanx for your input.

RBH

We use the rcbs electronic powder dispensor and have had real good luck with it. We load everything from 5.7x28 to 325 wsm and a few 357 mags. Very consistant and dependable. It loves ball powder the best as does any powder thrower but is just fine with the big extruded powders. we use everything from lil'gun to imr 7828.gun)

where's the best place to buy the rcbs powder drop? i was looking and it seems that they are in the 360$ mark. Is that good? My shooting partner and i are starting to require better consistancy than we can get from the manual powder drop. Is the rcbs the best value? What sould we buy and where?

thanks guys

You can find it for around $300 a lot of times. You just have to look around. Look at Midway, Midsouth, Natchez, ect. If I can remember right Natchez had them for $299 a little while ago.

sweet. i'm really looking forward to doing so real precision loading. I think i'm gonna be done with light bullets and go for the highest bc and least bullet drop possible.

"i'm really looking forward to doing so real precision loading."

If you're expecting a digital dumpster to give you that you're gonna be disappointed. Precision powder charges may be the least critical element in precision handloading.

I bought the RCBS based on the reviews on 6mmBR.com.

I was dissapointed with the variation in the output so I ended up using it as a very quickly settable drop for charges about .2g low, then trickle them to charge on my 10-10 beam balance.

I am quite happy with the RCBS unit in this role. Testing it I find it will give me charge weight variations of as much as +/- 0.2g with out telling me it is high or low. That was not acceptable so I use the beam balance, which I set with check weights within a half grain of the final charge weight, as the second step.

The check weights give me long term repeatability.

What ever scale you use, get a set of check weights.

Fitch

is the scale on the rcbs nota accurate to .1 grain? I saw a video of a guy doing what you said. set it a bit low and trickle a bit after. i thought this would be good for that.

is the scale on the rcbs nota accurate to .1 grain? I saw a video of a guy doing what you said. set it a bit low and trickle a bit after. i thought this would be good for that.

The scale on the RCBS is statically accurate, that is it always reads the check weight when I put a check weight on it. The issue is with the dynamics of weighing while powder is falling on it. The powder is scrolled out of the tube and can clump, more with some powders than with others. The scale can't retreat, that is it can't remove powder to get an accurate weight, it can only add and then try to stop at the right time. The clumping can result in it going over.

The other part of it is settling time - the digital electronics need to sample the scale weight free of any dynamic effects from the powder dtopping on it. You can see the software trying to wait for the scale to settle before weighing as it approaches the correct weight.

The dispenser is more accurate/consistant with ball powders like W760 and AA2460 than it is with stick powders like IMR4350 and IMR7828 which is a bit dissapointing but completely understandable. It's dissapointing because the stick powders are the ones you would most like to have it work the best weith since they don't work well in normal powder measures. The ball powders work fine in normal manual powder measures.

All that said, as a premeasure the ChargeMaster is a very very good tool. It adjusts to a new charge as fast as you can punch in the numbers which makes it great for loading test ammo in .2 or .5 grain increments, an arduous task otherwise.

All that said, I like the ChargeMaster. I use it all the time. I'd buy mine again knowing what I know now, but I don't use it to measure powder and blindly dump it in the case with out running it over a beam scale or a lab grade digital scale first.

Fitch

I have one design complaint with the chargemaster. When it is finished dispensing and weighing, it beeps. This beep is the same whether it hits the target load, or is an overcharge. How hard would it be to make a scale beep twice/louder/different when it detects an overcharge? If you are not paying attention or like to seat bullets while weighing, you could easily dump an overcharge. The soda pop straw trick also seems to help decrease any overcharges. It does "a decent" job of what it was designed to do and as boomtube states, slight powder charge variations might not be all that critical when considering all the masses of variables involved

There are a few DIY enhancements for CMs, and one is a length of straw in the trickler tube.
I use one ~1" long in mine.
This reduces clumping of extruded powders some.
Mine is also program adjusted, and I've added a manual speed adjustment for different powders.

The best way to read a completed charge is to disturb the pan after the count for a second 'independent reading'.
After alot of experimenting & testing with a far more accurate scale, I'm confident I can consistently dispense charges more accurately with my CM than it's rated.
I am inside .1gr, and detect the slightest overcharge quite easily. I get these around 1 in 30.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.