Electronic Call testing?

Calvin is one of the quiet professionals I have spoken of . Years back he was in a couple of VHS videos of dogging coyote . I' not sure if he is still in Cambell county or not .

If any of you want to read an informative article about an animal's hearing , including humans , go to
burnhambrothers.com website , and open the BLOGS topic .
The first story there is titled "The Greatest Sounds for Calling are the Sounds You Will Never Hear".

In the story you will see a graph with the dynamic frequencies range that various animals are capable of hearing .
Also there is information on how laboratory grade audio test equipment was used to measure the sound frequencies generated by electronic calls versus mouth-blown calls .
How the really great predator callers (Humans) using mouth-blown calls can make sounds that most electronic calls can not duplicate .

Even when a Master caller such as Cal Taylor or D Sheetz is recorded , to produce a calling sequence , to be added to any of the premium E-Calls , the electronic calls are not able to produce the exact sounds that were recorded in the sound studio , due to the limitations of the speakers on the E-Calls , generally having a dynamic frequencies range that maxes-out at 25Khz - 30Khz .

The price of speakers capable of broadcasting in the ultrasonic-frequency range would probably be cost prohibitive for the E-Call manufacturers to incorporate them into their units .

That may be why Burnham Brothers has not released their Ultrasonic Game Call , yet .

If any of you want to read an informative article about an animal's hearing , including humans , go to
burnhambrothers.com website , and open the BLOGS topic .
The first story there is titled "The Greatest Sounds for Calling are the Sounds You Will Never Hear".

In the story you will see a graph with the dynamic frequencies range that various animals are capable of hearing .
Also there is information on how laboratory grade audio test equipment was used to measure the sound frequencies generated by electronic calls versus mouth-blown calls .
How the really great predator callers (Humans) using mouth-blown calls can make sounds that most electronic calls can not duplicate .

Even when a Master caller such as Cal Taylor or D Sheetz is recorded , to produce a calling sequence , to be added to any of the premium E-Calls , the electronic calls are not able to produce the exact sounds that were recorded in the sound studio , due to the limitations of the speakers on the E-Calls , generally having a dynamic frequencies range that maxes-out at 25Khz - 30Khz .

The price of speakers capable of broadcasting in the ultrasonic-frequency range would probably be cost prohibitive for the E-Call manufacturers to incorporate them into their units .

That may be why Burnham Brothers has not released their Ultrasonic Game Call , yet .
One of the few I think that got the original point of my post. We all have our own preferences and what sounds good to us I know what sounds and calls seem to work well for me. Some real world lab testing is what I was looking for. I'm curious if it's the same with live animal recordings because nearly all of the "good" sounds available now are live animal recordings.

I think that a lot of people have tried to find out about what E- callers reproduce the various frequencies the best but there just isn't a lot of information out there on the subject . I haven't seen any of the e-call manufacturers that advertise the frequency range of their systems reproduction capabilities . Most of us that hunt any animals realize that they have hearing capabilities in frequencies that we humans don't have . We just for the most part truly don't understand those capabilities because we can't hear in those ranges and really haven't studied them as it hasn't occurred to most of us that it might make any difference to us and our calling efforts . There are those of us that understand that by using hand calls instead of e-callers we are actually reproducing sounds in higher and lower frequencies then the e-callers are capable of . It's not always that we are on a budget and may not be able to afford the price of an e-caller we like the challenge of mastering the use of hand calls as well as their sounds and the satisfaction of achievement by calling animals with them . You started an interesting post that so many people might not have thought about before .

I've used quite a few e-callers over the years. They all seemed to be about the same effectiveness. All varying degrees of a pain to haul around and deal with.

However, one thing I can say with no equivocation is... when I started using my custom hand callers and stuck my e-calls on the shelf, I killed more coyotes. Especially more big mature males. The E-call craze has made a talented hand caller very successful. :) Lots of E-call users also tend to miss a lot... so I think they get educated to what an e-call sounds like very quickly in that instance.

I can head to an e-called area and be very successful, generally.

LblbWuQh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

To both of your points I certainly don't discount hand calling. To me they are all just tools in the bag, I use hand calls and diaphragms plenty. Situations dictate what I like to do, and I'm sure I'm not the only one that notices on certain days sometimes one thing just works better than others, whether that's a certain sound files or a certain hand call. Much like ecalls I'm sure we could all debate our favorite hand calls and diaphragms as well. I have a very preferred custom call maker for my diaphragms and a preferred production set of hand calls that come from a different custom call maker that I really really like.

What really kick started this whole thing for me is that i was looking for a different ecall. My current one is almost 5 years old and all but worn out. I have hunted over every major ecall out there. My opinion is that they all do 1 or 2 things very well but none of them really do everything above average or better. For instance Icotec has the best remote connectivity and reliability period. Stock factory sounds nobody comes close to Lucky Duck. Durability and supporting warranty and general customer support it's FoxPro by a mile. Pure sound quality to my ear it's Wildlife tech. I could also turn around and list 2 things that are trash about each one. Again that would all just be my opinion.

But what really struck me about current information out there is sooooooo much of it is purely opinion 🤣 much like my own already listed above. Just seems to me people, "reviewers", companies, "professionals" go to great lengths to show you why one product is different or better than another when it comes to every other piece of gear we buy. Still highly subjective but usually if you dig a little you can find helpful insight. In the ecall world it's like there's no effort. Pretty much they say "look it called this one coyote right here, it's the best!" what is out there is from their prostafs and that is...........useless, I have so many friends that run a company into the dirt until they end up on their prostaff.......I fully understand that dealing with a wild animal, one that is highly adaptive perhaps more so than any other animal in North America makes real world testing or "performance" is highly subjective anyways but man it seems like with what they want us to pay these days some degree of effort could go into it even if it's only on the labratory/scientific/engineering (not even sure what the word I'm looking for is) side of the equation.

I did end up buying a new ecall. After weighing my own opinions and the fact that so much of what I want to know we probably never will know I put my money as the top priority and bought the call with the best warranty and support even though I think it lacks elsewhere. It will go in to the arsenal with all my other calls and I'm sure it will do fine.

The point remains Some degree of real world scientific testing would be some of the most interesting information to come out of this pursuit in a long time. I'm sure if nothing else it would be enjoyable to watch the prostafs go to war over it🤣🤣.

Also as a side note Cal Taylor's name came up. He was recently on the O'Neil Ops podcast which I suspect is why his name has been getting a lot of buzz on the web all of a sudden. In that podcast he talks about some of his earliest recordings which became FoxPro sounds years ago. Mind blowing to hear they were basically just recording the sounds with video camera's 🤯. You think of a full movie setup with a giant microphone thing and it's just a couple ol boys with the wife's home video camera, good stuff!

Last edited:
What was said right above is true,have had 3 different brands of e-callers over the years.The perfect 1 has not been made.Each brand I have owned has likes and dislikes with me.Just waiting on the Burnham call to come out and see how it is.