Electric Bicycles for Hunting

JE, Thanks for that video on E-bikes from "Yurp". I'll be in Copenhagen and Stockholm this July and will ask about what they have available.

Top speed is not my need, just lots of low end torque and battery durability - plus a mid mounted (crank area) motor. That way I can use the gears for the motor as well as pedal assist. Mid motors are spendy but nice to have for hunting E-bikes.

Eric B.

I've found a good source of mid-drive e-bikes at a local sporting goods store in Henderson, NV (McGhee's). They sell several Trek models with varying tire widths and power levels. The Trek e-bikes use Bosch motors and batteries.

I still feel e-bikes are generally overpriced and as their popularity rises the prices will likely fall somewhat - IF you stay away from carbon fiber frames.

Seems the Europeans are into e-bikes in a big way given all the sites they have.

Eric B.

I've found a good source of mid-drive e-bikes at a local sporting goods store in Henderson, NV (McGhee's). They sell several Trek models with varying tire widths and power levels. The Trek e-bikes use Bosch motors and batteries.

I still feel e-bikes are generally overpriced and as their popularity rises the prices will likely fall somewhat - IF you stay away from carbon fiber frames.

Seems the Europeans are into e-bikes in a big way given all the sites they have.

Eric B.
Very true on both points. In Europe, some countries sell more ebikes than conventional bikes now and they've around longer so they are very common all over Europe.

eBikes in the US are a high price point, last August the import tarriffs added 25% to the price.

Some good news surrounding ebikes on department land.

August 29th, the Department of Interior released a Secretarial Order relating to the use of electric bicycles, or e-bikes, on all Department lands, including lands under the management of the National Park Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of Reclamation.
The Secretarial Order directs those agencies to conform to the policy that e-bikes shall be allowed where other types of bicycles are allowed, to the extent existing regulations allow. This is a positive development for the use of electric bicycles, and will ultimately enable the Department to provide better bicycling experiences for more Americans.

Here's the full order: https://www.doi.gov/sites/doi.gov/f..._through_the_use_of_electric_bikes_-508_0.pdf

YEA!! Thank the Lord for this "reprieve". Whoopie! this is great for mildly disabled and seniors.
Thanks John for the link to the official document. How did you find out about it?

Eric B.

YEA!! Thank the Lord for this "reprieve". Whoopie! this is great for mildly disabled and seniors.
Thanks John for the link to the official document. How did you find out about it?

Eric B.
Litehiker, since I sell ebikes, I have my ear to the ground since the limitations and access/no access question comes up a lot.
I know the news won't make everyone happy but since most of my customers are 60+ and with some physical issue of some form, I know they will be happy to know they can get that bit further assisted.

I got my e-bike (https://shop.m2sbikes.com/collections/all-terrain-electric-bike-series/products/all-terrain-pro-r750) assembled together today ...

M2S e-bike 1 of 2.jpg
M2S e-bike 2 of 2.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.