ELDX Wow

So I'd say ELD-M and/or ELD-X jacket breakup is another internet rumor based on one or two extreme situations. Jus' saying'...

Eric B.

NOT rumor and NOT isolated or extreme. I am a long time fan of Hornady bullets and it pains me to say this...

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/147-eld-coming-apart.3952796/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/more-problems-with-hornady-bullets.3952835/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/180-eld-ms-coming-apart.3952068/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/180-hornady-eld-m-bullets-blowing-up-in-air.202592/page-3

I have also personally witnessed this phenomenon with Hornady HPBT Match bullets, shortly after the introduction of the AMP jacket process. I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets and haven't stopped doing so, but caution is warranted.

I know some PRS shooters who also hunt with their match rifles. They prefer the 143 ELD-X for dual purpose use. I am not aware of any problems with that bullet.

Last edited:
NOT rumor and NOT isolated or extreme. I am a long time fan of Hornady bullets and it pains me to say this...

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/147-eld-coming-apart.3952796/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/more-problems-with-hornady-bullets.3952835/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/180-eld-ms-coming-apart.3952068/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/180-hornady-eld-m-bullets-blowing-up-in-air.202592/page-3

I have also personally witnessed this phenomenon with Hornady HPBT Match bullets, shortly after the introduction of the AMP jacket process. I shoot a lot of Hornady bullets and haven't stopped doing so, but caution is warranted.

I know some PRS shooters who also hunt with their match rifles. They prefer the 143 ELD-X for dual purpose use. I am not aware of any problems with that bullet.

not a rumor but a simple cause of making a hot round hot. do the same thing with a sierra matchking and you might be fine with a thicker jacket, but take a bullet with a softer jacket, especially a expanding bullet, in a overbore cartridge that is already pushing higher pressures and then hotrod it...and even worst, overdrive the twist in barrel, your going to run the risk of dusting some bullets. I would think this is common sense.

That's a loaded question. The examples given before were of people who wanted to overload a high pressure cartridge then put it in a faster twist barrel.

So if sticking to the same theme, if you follow manufacture, or better yet regular reloading procedures when loading any bullet....you won't dust it. If you think you know better then ballistic engineers and start making "custom"'flat shooting loads with over spin barrels....best do your own extensive testing because whatever happens is what happens.

I'm shooting my 6.5 CM ELD-X factory ammo in a Ruger American Predator with a 1:8 twist which is fine until I get past 150 grains, which I will not do.
So I think I'm fine with factory ammo in a factory rifle.

Eric B.

not a rumor but a simple cause of making a hot round hot. do the same thing with a sierra matchking and you might be fine with a thicker jacket, but take a bullet with a softer jacket, especially a expanding bullet, in a overbore cartridge that is already pushing higher pressures and then hotrod it...and even worst, overdrive the twist in barrel, your going to run the risk of dusting some bullets. I would think this is common sense.

The 147's aren't being hotrodded or over twisted. Clearly, you didn't read the linked discussions. I would think knowing the content of something before opining on said content would be common sense...

The 147's aren't being hotrodded or over twisted. Clearly, you didn't read the linked discussions. I would think knowing the content of something before opining on said content would be common sense...
Look at the reloading max velocities, then go back to your post and look at the velocities. Then come back on here correct.

Attachments

• 83EE4457-F88F-435E-A8E8-0CECC0C0D8C1.jpeg
    83EE4457-F88F-435E-A8E8-0CECC0C0D8C1.jpeg
    78.4 KB · Views: 123
Reloading max velocities are not analogous to structural max velocities. Try again...

Don't need to try again. Your very first link says:
"shooting 600 today, sling. 6.5 Creedmoor, 41.3 grains of H4350, .010" off (2.790") velocity 2750 fps, 147 ELD with 1/7.5 twist krieger."

you said "The 147's aren't being hotrodded or over twisted. Clearly, you didn't read the linked discussions"

Sounds hotrodding to me. Other post had issues with over twisting and more hotrodding, hence the reloading data. Not to show the difference between structural stability of the bullet when over pressured, but to show everyone that your opinion is one sided, not fact based.

I said, if you want to go outside factory recommendations, do your own testing.

You got butt hurt.

Cry about it.

Don't need to try again. Your very first link says:
"shooting 600 today, sling. 6.5 Creedmoor, 41.3 grains of H4350, .010" off (2.790") velocity 2750 fps, 147 ELD with 1/7.5 twist krieger."

you said "The 147's aren't being hotrodded or over twisted. Clearly, you didn't read the linked discussions"

Sounds hotrodding to me. Other post had issues with over twisting and more hotrodding, hence the reloading data. Not to show the difference between structural stability of the bullet when over pressured, but to show everyone that your opinion is one sided, not fact based.

I said, if you want to go outside factory recommendations, do your own testing.

You got butt hurt.

Cry about it.

No one is butt hurt. Get over yourself. I used YOUR words. If you have a problem with that, it is YOUR problem.

Even in a 7.5 twist, there is NO WAY that is enough to cause structural failure of a bullet and 2750 is NOT hotrodding by any definition.

Link #1: 2750 in a 7.5 twist. NOT excessive. Even Hornady hasn't asserted that and THEY would be in a position to know.

Link #2: Three different rifles with 8 twists (Hornady's recommended twist) @ 2880, 2915, and 3061. ALL well within typical 6.5 velocities for the respective cases. Are you really going to assert that the structural integrity of a given bullet is based on the case from which it is fired?

There is ZERO link between chamber pressure and bullet integrity. I defy you to prove otherwise. Your insistence that your assertions are fact based are laughably ignorant.

BTW, I HAVE done my own testing with this bullet, up to mid-2800's from a standard .260 with RL-26, in a Savage 8 twist. Fortunately, no structural failures as yet. My concern is that the problem may be related to specific production lots. Waiting to see how this issue shakes out before buying more 147's. I have a few hundred more of the 147's left, which I will continue to shoot while waiting for answers to the reported problems to emerge. Until then, 143's seem like a reasonable substitute. I know of others using them with good results.

The fact that this problem has also manifested with ELD-M's in other weights and diameters seems to hint at some sort of issue with the jackets. Given that I have personally witnessed jacket failure with early production AMP-jacketed 178 BTHP's, at sedate velocities in a .308, I suspect an issue with the manufacturing process. This is a phenomenon that did not seem to be common with the previous AMAX designs, which were pre-AMP process bullets.

I was using YOUR words and YOUR links. I'm not the one with the problem in the discussion.

However the rest of what you are saying is a good discussion, back on topic.
No I'm not saying chamber pressure has anything to do with anything. I'm looking at the velocities. Some powders obviously give you more velocity with less pressure, non of which being the point, what I'm saying is that there has been a set of guidelines, with listed and tested velocities, with listed and tested twist rates that when deviated from, can, but not always, but has caused issues with bullet structure. Again, these elds have different bearing surfaces and different density thickness in jackets, then like stated in my previous example, a Sierra match king

If deviating, from what's factory recommended then things like this happens.

So you saying that 2800s to 3000s is regular velocities for a 147 gr is not accurate. velocity to projectile grain does effect structure. So you laughing at my logic means you are misinformed if you think otherwise.

A 130 gr .264 Winchester mag...I say again 130 grain....magnum....is only getting around 3100 FPS....if you are getting that in a heavier grain...hot rodding.

Extremely high velocity can cause bullet problems with fast twist barrels because of the inertia of the bullet not wanting to rotate causing engraving issues and in extreme cases jacket separation from the core. The heavier the bullet is at the same velocity, the worse the problem.

However even with proper twist barrels, depending on bullet design, velocity, can still cause structural issues. Especially bullets commonly used today where the body is very short placing more load on the surface of the bullet body.
There are only three things that cause bullets blowing up besides manufacture defects....cartridge/bullet/twist combinations.
There's good combines and bad.

However, I'm not sure on the eld-ms but I know that the eldxs have a longer bearing surface. For whatever that is worth.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.