ELDx seating depth. 7mm Mag

thaught

Is there a sweet spot for loading these? I loaded a few different lengths and they didn't shoot well. I started .050" off the lands and went from there. Do they prefer to be seated closer to the lands?

I didn't mess much with them . this is the only target I can find that I saved . this would be from a 260 rem . by the looks of this target you want to go closer .

Attachments

• P2211498.JPG
    P2211498.JPG
    333.2 KB · Views: 198
You should try Berger's VLD seating test to find your seating. I would start at the minimum powder load for your given powder and run the VLD test to find the correct seating. I did one two weekends ago for a Bergara B14 HMR in 7mm Rem Mag, followed the recommended seating depth for Hunting and found the seating depth the rifle likes at .050 off the lands. Now I am in the process of fine tuning it to see if it can improve from .550 4 shot group. Give it a try, it should work for you.

I start all my loads the same way no matter what projectile it is.
And that is at 10thou off the lands, I go through the charge range & find the best group.
I then change the CBTO to 5thou, 15th & 20thou.
I have never had to go any further/deeper into the case before finding the right depth, even with Berger VLD's.

I have mine seated at .050, shoots .7 three shot group but that's the longest that will fit in the magazine box. Older savage 111, ADG brass, 66.5 grains Retumbo, 2980fps. I still working on my load.

Is there a sweet spot for loading these? I loaded a few different lengths and they didn't shoot well. I started .050" off the lands and went from there. Do they prefer to be seated closer to the lands?

I use the 200gr ELDX in my 300wm half MOA seated as per reloading books 3.340?? i believe it is

Don't know about the 7mm, but the 6.5s in my PRC like 20 off and closer.

I have been shooting these bullets in my sons 6.5/284 as well 300 wsm for hunting. My wsm seems to like them about 10 off. The 6.5 seems to be just about touching. I don't have a photo of the eldx groups that we have shot but the group that I am showing a photo of is a 5 shot group that my son shot off a bipod at 100 yds. I can say this that the 143 eldx shoots nearly the same. Last year before we went out west my son had his 6.5/284 at the 1000 yd club and shot it off the bench with a bipod and rear bag and he busted a clay bird at approximately 1034 yds on the first shot and then he went to a paper target at 1000 yds and shot 1 shot and was 4" left of the x ring.

Attachments

• 13887768-96D7-48C7-9E53-2D00AED57927.jpeg
    13887768-96D7-48C7-9E53-2D00AED57927.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 163
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.