ELDX Performance on elk

Oops, thought I had done that. 270 and 145 gr. But keep em all coming.

My main concern is holding together up close.
My dad shot his elk with a 7mm at close range and it exploded. He does not use them any more. FYI that's my experience. Seems like others are using them well yet I'll only use them for deer.

My grandson and I both shoot 260 AI - Schneider barrels 1-8 twist, he shoots 129 grain Nosler Accubond LR- antelope kills to 505 yards, I shoot Nosler Accubond 142 grain LR. We both have killed a lot of pigs with these loads, he has shot several antelope and two WT deer with the 129, deadly on all game at any range we have shot inside the yardage of the 505 yard shot. I shoot the Hornady 103 ELDX in my 6 XC and my 243 AI and have had great results on feral hogs big and small.
Now you need too try the Hammers really easy load work up they perform at about any velocity I like Accubonds too great bullets

After reading this, should I be trading my 6.5 Accubonds for ELD-X ?
No way, both are good bullets but I would lean toward the Nosler Accubond bullets, both standard and LR when available. I have taken deer, antelope and elk with Accubonds from my 280 AI (160 grain Nosler Accubond) and my 340 Weatherby custom- Remington action, Shilen barrel ( 225 grain Nosler Accubond)

Here's one case where this particular elk was shot under 100 yards. 143 Gr. ELDX - the shot angle was a hard quarter toward us shot. The bullet passed through lung/liver and came to rest on the far side hide.

Impact velocity was a measly 2550 FPS. As you can see by the photos these are a fairly frangible bullet. If you shoot lightweight high velocity keep it off shoulders and the freezers will be full!

View attachment 286372
View attachment 286373
That's a great reply! Sincerely trying to help out an inexperienced member without the attitude...

Last edited:
@Longcruise. I have two examples of relatively close range performance with the 143 ELD-X. Both were from a 26" tube chambered in 6.5 PRC. The cow pictured was around 60 yards. She was bumped by another hunting group and emerged from a patch of timber seemingly dead set on running me over. I only had a cow tag, so I took the shot while she was running and making a turn attempting to avoid me and my hunting buddy, thus the rather sub-optimal shot placement.

The non-typical bull was bedded at ~205 yards. One shot and done. I tried my best not to grin, but as you can imagine, this was a difficult task.

I also included a pic of a boar I took in Texas. Again, one and done.

Boar.jpg
Bull.jpg
Cow.jpg

A few years back in Colorado we killed 2 bulls and a buck in 2 days with a 28 Nosler pushing 175 ELD-X just over 3000fps. Crazy thing is, the bulls were at 1,240yds and 1,170yds (2 hunters, 1 gun, 2 bulls out of the same herd). Excellent results on those 2 elk at extended ranges. We weren't able to recover bullets on those bulls, but the bullets expanded and did their job well.

The next day, I killed a muley at under 200 yards in the timber with the same rifle. That bullet was a true pinhole. Dropped the buck in his tracks, luckily, but not even a single drop of blood on him. Couldn't figure out where I hit him until we got him skinned out.

It just goes to show, there are enough variables in hunting situations, you can't take every anecdotal experience as gospel.

That being said, I think the pinhole was a true anomaly. ELD-X would be among my first choices for close quarters elk. They will often come apart to some degree with high velocity impacts, but still penetrate and hold together much better than most of your thinner jacketed match grade bullets. I think there are better options for true long range applications.

On the flip side, I killed a bull at under 100yds with a 6.5 PRC and 147 ELDM going 2970 in WY a couple years ago. Slight quartering shot with very little penetration, but what penetration it had was epically devastating. The bull took 2 steps and tipped over. Definitely operating at the margin of performance for that bullet, but what it lacked in penetration, it made up for in energy and sheer explosive trauma. That bullet's sweet spot for performance on game is 500 and out.

I shot this bull hard quartering to at 351 yards with the 143 ELDX. I was quite a bit higher in elevation. Impact just over 2600 fps in upper neck, exited low behind opposite front shoulder. I was happy with performance. He had a massive body. Only close shot performance has been on deer, and all have been one shot pass throughs.

Attachments

• ADAF14CE-E225-4423-89A6-64930FC5F405.jpeg
    ADAF14CE-E225-4423-89A6-64930FC5F405.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 202
  • 4DB88737-122C-4D6E-B1ED-B52551BFCA53.jpeg
    4DB88737-122C-4D6E-B1ED-B52551BFCA53.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 210
We've had extensive testing on elk with ELDX in a variety of weights and bullet diameters. Particularly 200 Gr (30 cal) 175 Gr. (7mm) and 143 Gr. (6.5 cal).

In our observations expansion/penetration is very predictable under 2900 FPS impact velocity (we always shoot for the crease). In our experiences we have found that regardless of caliber or bullet weight, any impact around 2650-2900 FPS the bullets have always made it to the far side hide - jacket/core usually separates, but still offers great wounding. In our experiences with the ELDX - It is VERY rare to see a full pass through on deer & elk sized animals (SHORT range).
Great information I do have one question what about velocities in the 3200 -3500 fps all three of my elk rifles are well above 3,200 fps 7mm STW, 30-378 and 26 Nosler. I normally use the Nosler ABLR and have never lost an animal but with the shortage have worked up some ELDX's

@jshepherd61 we haven't used ELD-X in cartridges that launch above 3k FPS. Judging by the expansion at modest velocity I would fully suspect minimal penetration with 3500 muzzle velocity.

Even then - if lung shots are taken that would be a LETHAL combo. However - oftentimes while hunting we don't always get the shot angles we want.

Last edited:
A few years back in Colorado we killed 2 bulls and a buck in 2 days with a 28 Nosler pushing 175 ELD-X just over 3000fps. Crazy thing is, the bulls were at 1,240yds and 1,170yds (2 hunters, 1 gun, 2 bulls out of the same herd). Excellent results on those 2 elk at extended ranges. We weren't able to recover bullets on those bulls, but the bullets expanded and did their job well.
Curious but why couldn't you recover the bullets? Exits?

No experience yet on game with 200gr. Killed 2 elk and bunch of deer and a antelope with 212. I'd avoid the shoulder. One bull elk was straight on chest shot at 68 yards. Bullet ended somewhere in the lungs. Broadside elk bullet under far hide. All my deer have been pass throughs with significant damage to the pump station/boiler rooms. I kind of like the 212 vs 200. Little slower hit at short range with the same energy

I've killed around a dozen muley, whitetail, and axis with the 143 eldx. Those were shots ranging from 60-300 yards and at those ranges the bullets expanded violently although still provided plenty of penetration. Generally either a large exit or around 30-40% of the bullet stuck under the offside hide and the rest having fragmented. This is the only elk that I've killed with them. 710 yards (2130fps impact velocity) hit him in the pocket and he ran about thirty yards and tipped over, he was done for but tried getting up so I sent another in the neck/shoulder junction area and that one him switched him off. That bullet wasn't recovered but the first hit was a perfect mushroom under the offside hide. Forgot to take pictures but it looked like there was little to no weight loss. As stated above I'd avoid heavy bone at closer ranges. When your working with a lower impact velocity they hold together much like "traditional" hunting bullet.

Attachments

• BB07CB0D-7AED-476C-957C-306A1285DB17.jpeg
    BB07CB0D-7AED-476C-957C-306A1285DB17.jpeg
    361.5 KB · Views: 138