ELDMs Blowing up mid flight

My guess if the ELD-M's were run in a 9 twist in the same scenario they would be fine, that being said im not a Hornandy bullet fan.
I have also read several reports of the ELDM coming apart.
I do know of a 220 Berger coming apart in a 300NMI in a 9 twist also.

My 28 nosler has approximately 120 round down the tube as of today. Its a 26" proof 1:8. The first 100 rounds did well, mainly for load development, zeroing, etc. I've been using 1 box of Hornady 180 ELDMs (just opened a new box for these last 20 rounds), N570, with ADG brass. My 180's are from several different lots (tough times finding bulk supplies).
As of now, my load with 82 gr of N570 is pushing the 180's to 3130 fps.
Today at my local range I was finally setting the zero stop on my scope. These rounds were with the new box of 180 ELDMs. First 3 rounds were fine, made and adjustment, then I get this on the target, 3 inches high, when I have yet to touch the elevation:
View attachment 298557

At first, I thought the bullet just tumbled. Well, it did tumble, but it was also coming apart. Upon closer examination, you can see the gray marks on the paper when part of the jacket impacted the paper, with a shape that is not just a tumbling bullet. Started to think well, may be it was due to me recently stripping down the barrel and just shrugged it off.

Went 5 for 5 with no issues. Even let the barrel get rather warm during that string too. It was fine. Then the next 3 groups of 3 had issues, with at least 1 round going way off target and never making the paper. I had a friend observe the impacts as well.

I was lucky enough to catch another separation on paper. This one you can clearly see the gray marks on the paper where the deformed jacket was striking the paper.

View attachment 298559

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read about 28 noslers having ELDMs blowing up completely when speeds exceed 3200 fps. I'm also aware that QA/QC has probably gone down the drain too, given the state of the industry.
With this experience, the expense to shoot this rifle, and me needing to have it dialed in before November, I ordered 150 rounds of 177 gr hammer hunts. At least with solids the odds of them coming apart are slim mid flight.
ELD out of 28 nosler

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210528-094404_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210528-094404_Gallery.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 81
Spoke to Hornady today. They were pretty much useless. They said that with my twist rate and speed, these bullets will not hold together. Their threshold is 282,000 rpms. Hornady offered to test the bullets in one of their 7mm mags to see if its an issue. I told them that the testing would be similar to comparing apples to oranges and they agreed. They offered to swap with ELDXs but I declined.

I asked them why they do not have a disclaimer on the boxes of these bullets stating that if shot at _ twist rate and ___ FPS, failures would occur, even though the bullets have a 1:8 twist rate on the BC listings on the box. The rep simply said they could not do that.

Hey, he's just an employee doing his job and he did not make the bullets so I could not be angry with that individual. I did not expect much from the call, but I at least had to give it a whirl. I've moved on from Hornady bullets in my 28 nosler. Lesson learned!

I'm surprised they admitted a problem, my guess is they stick that 1-8 on there to claim all the B.C they can

not sure what they're worth
I know what my box of 195gr Berger EOL bullets were worth . Nothing to me .
So , I mailed them to a fellow member here on LRH who was trying to find some for his new rifle , AS A GIFT .

They were given to me as a gift . I had no need for them , so I gave them as a gift to someone who could use them .

All of us are facing shortages of items that we use .

I shoot the 130 ELDM out of my 6.5 Creedmoor target gun. lights out tag driverHowever I would not shoot them out of my 65 300 Wby
Yup. I loaded some 140's in my 6.5-300 to about 3150 and they were still coming apart. Not every time. It was kind of entertaining though a waste of primers which wasn't a concern at the time. There's a bowling pin hanging at 500 meters and nothing caused as much devastation as those 140's if the timing was just right. Hate to admit how many times we shot it before I pulled the rest ha ha

So , I mailed them to a fellow member here on LRH who was trying to find some for his new rifle , AS A GIFT .

They were given to me as a gift . I had no need for them , so I gave them as a gift to someone who could use them .

Kudos to you DPM

nice to see people more interested in helping others and not just lining there pockets

Spoke to Hornady today. They were pretty much useless. They said that with my twist rate and speed, these bullets will not hold together. Their threshold is 282,000 rpms. Hornady offered to test the bullets in one of their 7mm mags to see if its an issue. I told them that the testing would be similar to comparing apples to oranges and they agreed. They offered to swap with ELDXs but I declined.

I asked them why they do not have a disclaimer on the boxes of these bullets stating that if shot at _ twist rate and ___ FPS, failures would occur, even though the bullets have a 1:8 twist rate on the BC listings on the box. The rep simply said they could not do that.

Hey, he's just an employee doing his job and he did not make the bullets so I could not be angry with that individual. I did not expect much from the call, but I at least had to give it a whirl. I've moved on from Hornady bullets in my 28 nosler. Lesson learned!
if your interested your RPM is 285300 with your listed velocity of 3170

View attachment 298605View attachment 298602Not a good picture, but this was the throat of the 28 after the first 30 rounds and a light cleaning. I understand what you're saying now! Cleaned a bit more after this picture and a lot of it went away.

In regards to overspinning, the eldms have 1:8 on the box (I'm assuming for their BC estimates).
Many different bullets will come apart with excessive spinning. Not sure why you choose ELDMs for hunting. But since this is a match bullet the skin is thinner than a hunting bullet. So since we all know speed doesn't kill. There are many other manufacturers that make heavier bullets to help tame the speed/spin issue or slow it down. But your spinning a light skin bullet at 288000 RPM.

View attachment 298605View attachment 298602Not a good picture, but this was the throat of the 28 after the first 30 rounds and a light cleaning. I understand what you're saying now! Cleaned a bit more after this picture and a lot of it went away.

In regards to overspinning, the eldms have 1:8 on the box (I'm assuming for their BC estimates).
Many different bullets will come apart with excessive spinning. Not sure why you choose ELDMs for hunting. But since this is a match bullet the skin is thinner than a hunting bullet. So since we all know speed doesn't kill. There are many other manufacturers that make heavier bullets to help tame the speed/spin issue or slow it down. But your spinning a light skin bullet at 288000 RPM.

You know what there worth, don't turn this into GB.
You having a bad day Sherm, or becoming a "Karen"? You seem to have a lot of negativity in this thread.

Normally i appreciate your experience/input on things.

OP was looking for something i had and i offered it to him. No idea what i have into them or what they sell for (Normally) didnt bother to look.

Are we here to judge others and put them down, or are we here to help, share, learn, brainstorm,have fun?

You're right, lets not turn this into some other sites

Seems your into name calling, if your offering something then put a price on it or offer to trade, you know what you paid for them simply as that.