ELDMs Blowing up mid flight

My 28 nosler has approximately 120 round down the tube as of today. Its a 26" proof 1:8. The first 100 rounds did well, mainly for load development, zeroing, etc. I've been using 1 box of Hornady 180 ELDMs (just opened a new box for these last 20 rounds), N570, with ADG brass. My 180's are from several different lots (tough times finding bulk supplies).
As of now, my load with 82 gr of N570 is pushing the 180's to 3130 fps.
Today at my local range I was finally setting the zero stop on my scope. These rounds were with the new box of 180 ELDMs. First 3 rounds were fine, made and adjustment, then I get this on the target, 3 inches high, when I have yet to touch the elevation:
View attachment 298557

At first, I thought the bullet just tumbled. Well, it did tumble, but it was also coming apart. Upon closer examination, you can see the gray marks on the paper when part of the jacket impacted the paper, with a shape that is not just a tumbling bullet. Started to think well, may be it was due to me recently stripping down the barrel and just shrugged it off.

Went 5 for 5 with no issues. Even let the barrel get rather warm during that string too. It was fine. Then the next 3 groups of 3 had issues, with at least 1 round going way off target and never making the paper. I had a friend observe the impacts as well.

I was lucky enough to catch another separation on paper. This one you can clearly see the gray marks on the paper where the deformed jacket was striking the paper.

View attachment 298559

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read about 28 noslers having ELDMs blowing up completely when speeds exceed 3200 fps. I'm also aware that QA/QC has probably gone down the drain too, given the state of the industry.
With this experience, the expense to shoot this rifle, and me needing to have it dialed in before November, I ordered 150 rounds of 177 gr hammer hunts. At least with solids the odds of them coming apart are slim mid flight.
Yes this is a very well known problem from 2018-19 lots of info on it. Not just a 28 Nosler problem or a .284 ELDM problem it's a Hornady ELDM problem. Fast twist barrel with enough velocity fears the billet apart. It can happen go bergers too with enough velocity in a fast twist as the Berger team had a gun ripping apart bullets this year at the Nightforce ELR match. I was at a match where a top shooter lost 12/200 180 ELDM rounds and it cost him the win and he was shoot 284 Winchester 🤷🏻‍♂️. I have witnessed this happen with .223 ELDMs where you see a puff about 50 yards out. This is one of the reasons we load moderate pressure and velocity in our fast twist barrels necessary to stabilize the new long heavy bullets. The last thing we want on the shot at the buck or bull of a lifetime is a projectile failure.

Thats the problem with picking a twist thats spinning a bullets faster than necessary, now your bullet selection is limited.
I agree, or just slow it down a little bit and find another node. At that point what's the sense in shooting a 28 Nosler instead of a 7mm Rem Mag though? Idk. That's why I have a 1:8 and and shooting either 177gr HH or 195gr EOLs, it's all about full potential for me.

Agreed 195 EOL Berger's are the answer especially if you are running N570 in a 1-8 barrel. It's definitely a hunting load I use RL 33 for practice loads in my 28 and find it definitely isn't as hard on the barrel and still has good accuracy. Never liked the ELDM in the 28 just couldn't get any consistency out of them but my 308 and 6.5CM love them! Basically echoing what everyone else has said! 🤷🏻‍♂️ Good luck in your pursuit of THE LOAD!!!

Ya, I tried eldm's in a couple different weatherby calibers just for plinking and they don't work. Wondering if I can slow them down enough in a 22 creed for target shooting
If these targets are were shot at 100 yds., I do not see any bullet fragmentation. Bullet fragmentation would look like small shotgun impacts and I don't see it. What I can say is that you may be over pressuring the bullet, through a powder that is to slow or over powder. Pressure should climb until 3 inches from the end of the barrel and then drop, if pressure runs out the end of the barrel you will have powder flare and erratic bullet behavior as the uneven burn makes the bullet waft and tumble as it pushes the unconfined bullet past the crown. I would start with five grains less or step down 1 on the burn chart and rework my recipe. Happy shooting.

I have two boxes of 175 eldxs I might give a try. I've heard their jackets are a bit thicker. But at this point, I'm about to just give up on hornady bullets in the 28. I'm running out of time to get this gun dialed in before November.
I'm a big fan of the 140 eldms in my 6.5cm. With a MV of 2700, they are devastating on whitetail sized game and are easy to los for. I've also had good luck with the 212 eldx in my 300wm too. I'm running the 212's at 3015 FPS and never had a problem.

Does anyone have a lead on a box of 195's?

I have two boxes of 175 eldxs I might give a try. I've heard their jackets are a bit thicker. But at this point, I'm about to just give up on hornady bullets in the 28. I'm running out of time to get this gun dialed in before November.
I'm a big fan of the 140 eldms in my 6.5cm. With a MV of 2700, they are devastating on whitetail sized game and are easy to los for. I've also had good luck with the 212 eldx in my 300wm too. I'm running the 212's at 3015 FPS and never had a problem.

Look at the Berger 180's, either the Hybrid or the Vld-Hunting, both shoot great.

The 195's are great bullets too, just harder to find. No leads though, but that's what I'm running in my 28Nosler.

Look at the Berger 180's, either the Hybrid or the Vld-Hunting, both shoot great.

The 195's are great bullets too, just harder to find. No leads though, but that's what I'm running in my 28Nosler.

How do Berger's non hunting VLD's and Hybrids perform on game? I've heard the 215's a great in 30 cal but have not found much info on their non hunting 7mm rounds.

My 28 nosler has approximately 120 round down the tube as of today. Its a 26" proof 1:8. The first 100 rounds did well, mainly for load development, zeroing, etc. I've been using 1 box of Hornady 180 ELDMs (just opened a new box for these last 20 rounds), N570, with ADG brass. My 180's are from several different lots (tough times finding bulk supplies).
As of now, my load with 82 gr of N570 is pushing the 180's to 3130 fps.
Today at my local range I was finally setting the zero stop on my scope. These rounds were with the new box of 180 ELDMs. First 3 rounds were fine, made and adjustment, then I get this on the target, 3 inches high, when I have yet to touch the elevation:
View attachment 298557

At first, I thought the bullet just tumbled. Well, it did tumble, but it was also coming apart. Upon closer examination, you can see the gray marks on the paper when part of the jacket impacted the paper, with a shape that is not just a tumbling bullet. Started to think well, may be it was due to me recently stripping down the barrel and just shrugged it off.

Went 5 for 5 with no issues. Even let the barrel get rather warm during that string too. It was fine. Then the next 3 groups of 3 had issues, with at least 1 round going way off target and never making the paper. I had a friend observe the impacts as well.

I was lucky enough to catch another separation on paper. This one you can clearly see the gray marks on the paper where the deformed jacket was striking the paper.

View attachment 298559

Has anyone else had this problem? I've read about 28 noslers having ELDMs blowing up completely when speeds exceed 3200 fps. I'm also aware that QA/QC has probably gone down the drain too, given the state of the industry.
With this experience, the expense to shoot this rifle, and me needing to have it dialed in before November, I ordered 150 rounds of 177 gr hammer hunts. At least with solids the odds of them coming apart are slim mid flight.
Yes!! Using a 26 Nos 26" However it was the 95gr Hornady varmint pills. First 3 were ok then the following 3 broke up. IIR was ~ 3500FPS. switched to Mono pills, same load better results. I did load some slower powder (around 3000fps) and the VMAX were fine.

How do Berger's non hunting VLD's and Hybrids perform on game? I've heard the 215's a great in 30 cal but have not found much info on their non hunting 7mm rounds.
I've mainly hunted game with the 180 H-Vld and 195 Eol in .284. I've killed a few animals with the Hybrids. The trick is to make sure the tips are clear for optimal performance on game and reliable expansion. Many people use the 180 Hybrids for game and swear by them.

I use a small "wire drill" (look it up) and run into each tip for proper expansion. You can get a little kit pretty inexpensive and is a good practice for hollow points.

Berger Tech's, ARE, "Experts" on THEIR Bullets and, they "say", NOT to use, Target VLD's for, a REASON !
H-VLD's, Classic's and Elite, Hunters, ARE,.. BEST !
WHY, "Play" with, the "UN-known variable's" and possibly, cripple and LOSE,.. a Big Game animal ???

not sure what they're worth

Attachments

• 16320821505798387504355206532078.jpg
    16320821505798387504355206532078.jpg
    938.5 KB · Views: 60
Maybe I'm just lucky but Ive shot the 180 eld-m in a factory 700, proof 8.4 twist, and a bartlein 8.75. Also shot the 147 in two 6.5s. Shot the 88 eld in two different 7 twists. They've always made it my 500 yd gong. Ive pushed them really hard in everything but the proof 8.4 twist and the factory 700. I have no doubts about reports of them blowing up. The proof is the only 4 groove I run them in. The rest are 6 groove and one 5r.