ELDM vs ELDX (construction-wise)

Petey308

It seems like this is always a common debate and topic. So I wanted to make my own thread on the matter, showing the comparisons between the Hornady ELDX and ELDM. They're not the same and are actually both improvements on two other Hornady bullets. The ELDX is simply just an improved SST and the ELDM is an improved AMAX.

The AMAX and ELDM are constructed the same, for all intents and purposes. The jacket thickness is the same (.024"), the core is the same, etc. The only difference is a slight change in the aerodynamic profile to boost the BC on the ELDM and the ELDM has the newer acetyl resin tip rather than just a basic polymer that the AMAX has. The ELDM and AMAX perform the same terminally, the ELDM just boosts max range capability and there are now many more options in each caliber than there were with the AMAX, even before they were discontinued.

The ELDX, like I said, is essentially just an improved SST. The jackets are the same thickness (.051") and taper out thinner the same amount, and both also have interlock rings. The ELDX, however, does not have a cannelure like the SST has, but it does have the newer acetyl resin tip. They're also available in other weights compared to the SST and they have a slightly more aerodynamic profile to boost BC. Not having the cannelure also reduces parasitic drag and thus increases BC as well. Terminally, the ELDX and SST perform the same. The external ballistics of the ELDX are better though.

Note: to my knowledge so far, there is one exception to all this. The 285gr .338" AMAX and now ELDM both are constructed more like an ELDX rather than the typical AMAX/ELDM. They have thick jackets and an interlock ring. They should be treated like an ELDX as far as terminal performance is concerned.

Hunters need to be aware that the ELDX has a significantly thicker jacket than the ELDM, plus it has the interlock ring, but overall the ELDX is still a relatively soft bullet- in that it's not actually fully bonded and the jackets taper in thickness. The ELDM does not taper in jacket thickness, nor does it have an interlock ring.

Even though it's constructed tougher, with too high of an impact velocity the ELDX can still suffer from poor penetration and over-expansion. Where they differ the most from the ELDM is on the lower end of impact velocity. The thicker jacket and interlock ring will really start holding the bullet together more so than the ELDM at impact velocities dipping below like 1800fps, especially with lower resistance upon impact as well. So the ELDM shines the most if you need a bullet that performs very well still at impact velocities around 2000fps and less.

For close range shots, what you need is a sufficient amount of sectional density, which is the amount of mass behind the frontal area of the bullet. How much you need will depend on the bullet construction and your expected impact velocity. An ELDX will still do better with more SD for close range (high impact velocity) shots due to how thin the jackets are at the ogive. If there's not enough mass behind the ogives, there might not be enough bullet left to do the job after the front starts coming apart on impact.

A bullet with thick jackets, but without tapering, would actually be better with less SD. You'd want less SD to lower the amount of penetration so that you can still achieve sufficient expansion. The Sierra TGK is a good example (I'll make a thread on these next). The cores on those are also made of a harder lead alloy and that will lower the rate of expansion as well. That type of bullet will come apart at a slower rate having the same thickness at the ogive as at the bearing surface area. With too much mass, it'll just punch right through before it has a chance to fully expand. Lowering the mass (SD) will lower the rate of penetration and balance out the expansion versus penetration. The same goes for actual bonded bullets too. If you go with a version with too much weight (SD) you'll end up with more penetration than expansion. Lowering the weight helps balance the two. Same concept with copper bullets too, but high impact velocity is even more crucial with those. You want relatively low SD and a high impact velocity for best results with those.

My point here is just things you still need to consider with the ELDX and even the SST if you're still using those.

Below are some side by side comparisons of similar size and weight ELDX and ELDM bullets. There's a pic of an AMAX too showing the jacket is the same thickness as the ELDM.

I have more bullets I can compare like this too, such as the 250gr .308" A-tip, 300gr .338" A-tips, etc. I'm always open to having any other bullets sent my way to cut open and post the results too.

Edit: here's some links to similar threads of mine for those interested:

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/norma-bondstrike-tipstrike-and-j-a-abram-bullets.312663/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/sierra-tmk-vs-tgk-gamechanger.312653/

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/bullet-construction.283735/

9FD974E0-91AD-437D-B888-566A138607F8.jpeg
1C946404-0E7B-4738-BCA3-5A0E0A7F5623.jpeg
671B8001-E98F-4D20-95AC-9BE36A4BA30B.jpeg
223274DE-5903-49D7-A587-05E32D3E70A4.jpeg
7C8547B9-DAB1-4EBB-A3A1-E063B9437958.jpeg
34C57DFD-5F09-4A93-86D0-170F43686F05.jpeg
A46793BD-1C17-4B38-9CD4-CF0CED59EF7F.jpeg
6DEDA2CC-6377-4976-9E1E-678C06C3F7AA.jpeg
D0E6008D-8223-4BB1-9DF4-BA4F1B166631.jpeg

Last edited:
This really helps me as well as everyone else in deciding what will work for each given application

BTW What is it you use to cut these in half?

If you get some I'd like to see a 168 AMAX, ELDM, and 165 SST comparison. Nice work!

Wow, excellent information. I assumed the 220 ELDX was the same bullet as the 225 ELDM but with a thicker jacket, thus the lower weight. I have shot the 220s a few times in two of my RUMs and didn't notice any difference out to 800 but my sample size was pretty small. I will probably use the 220 on a Dec deer hunt in Eastern CO but might use Hammers.

Wow, excellent information. I assumed the 220 ELDX was the same bullet as the 225 ELDM but with a thicker jacket, thus the lower weight. I have shot the 220s a few times in two of my RUMs and didn't notice any difference out to 800 but my sample size was pretty small. I will probably use the 220 on a Dec deer hunt in Eastern CO but might use Hammers.
In a lot of scenarios, they will perform very similarly. The ELDM will just shine better when impact velocities start dipping below like 2000fps and especially below 1800fps.

At close range (high impact velocity) though you'd see similar performance since both are high on sectional density but the the ELDM having slightly more SD but also being softer constructed will allow it to still handle high impact velocity shots well. It's a bit a "best of both worlds" type bullet in that regard.