ELD-X

Willy34jc

Any personal experiences with the ELD-X. I am looking to go hunting in Wyoming for Mule Deer in October. I have a .280 BDL that is somewhat of a heirloom. I have a Leupold 4.5-12 VX-III CDS. I have previusly used Barnes TTSX in this set up, but looking at ballistics, the ELD-X will increase my effective range and kinetic energy by 200 yards using the 175 grain bullets. I have put in some bench time at 300-400 yards, but planning on spending a lot of time this summer at my 500 yard range since I"m a teacher and will have the summer off. Let me know your opinions. Thanks.

175 runs best with a 8.5 twist.

You maybe better off running the 162 eldx with IMR 7828 at 2930 like I do.

162 eldx at 2930 is a great load, easy on barrels also, check nosler manual #4.

IMR 7828 is very similar to R#23, and R#26 I have not tried yet. I use Remington brass.

agree go with the 162. on game experience for me is I reloaded my brothers 270 WSM with the 145s. He shot a bull elk at 350 yards. first shot centerpunched front shoulder knuckle joint completely destroying it but not penetrating much after loosing all energy on that. He simply hit too much bone for any bullet that size to penetrate. bull took off on a 3 legged scamper down hill. 2nd shot was dead center boiler room on the run dropping the bull. He rolled down hill about 30 yards and died. I felt the bullet performed well, first shot just happened to hit a poor location. I can't imagine anything smaller than a heavy 338 being able to get into the chest after encountering that knuckle.

agree go with the 162. on game experience for me is I reloaded my brothers 270 WSM with the 145s. He shot a bull elk at 350 yards. first shot centerpunched front shoulder knuckle joint completely destroying it but not penetrating much after loosing all energy on that. He simply hit too much bone for any bullet that size to penetrate. bull took off on a 3 legged scamper down hill. 2nd shot was dead center boiler room on the run dropping the bull. He rolled down hill about 30 yards and died. I felt the bullet performed well, first shot just happened to hit a poor location. I can't imagine anything smaller than a heavy 338 being able to get into the chest after encountering that knuckle.
Thanks for acknowledging the shot placement and not blaming the bullet. Bet that got a little western for a minute haha!

Thanks for acknowledging the shot placement and not blaming the bullet. Bet that got a little western for a minute haha!
It did! My little brother kept his cool. I told him to shoot again when I saw the bull was hit hard. The next day He and I packed the whole thing out 7 miles in Hells Canyon on our backs. The pain lasted for days, but the memory lasts a lifetime :)

145 eldx 270 win 2950 ft/sec 70 yd shot. Complete pass through tremendous blood trail. Buck ran 50 yds and piled up. Great bullet for deer as the Eldx have performed very well for me. Best wishes

kinda looks photo shopped but some how the trail camera snapped it with perfect timing.

Attachments

• 15F2D790-BC3E-46CE-8051-0892D8EC78E2.jpeg
    15F2D790-BC3E-46CE-8051-0892D8EC78E2.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 102
145 eldx 270 win 2950 ft/sec 70 yd shot. Complete pass through tremendous blood trail. Buck ran 50 yds and piled up. Great bullet for deer as the Eldx have performed very well for me. Best wishes

kinda looks photo shopped but some how the trail camera snapped it with perfect timing.
wow! amazing capture!:eek:

I recently posted this pic on another thread. Mature bull elk, 175 eld-x out of a 7x300@ 3150. Impact velocity of about 3100. Bullet stopped on offside hide after destroying both lungs. It was a direct hit to the heaviest part of the shoulder. Bullet weighed about 75 grains. Bull traveled a few yards and passed in a few seconds. We've harvested probably dozens of animals from antelope to elk ranging from 30 to 920 yards without an issue. My only complaint is some variations between lots. I generally buy as many of the same lot as I can to avoid that issue. They may have that worked out by now.

It's been my go to in both the 162 and 175 This year the 143 has done well in my 6.5 saum as well, but have only seen one mule deer taken with it (Youth hunt).
So far so good, it's a bit rough on meat with close shots if you get into the shoulder too much, but most of them are.
I'd love to see a 190 class 7mm eld-x, but for now, they are the most consistent bullet I have for killing from very close to 1000.
IMG_0570.JPEG

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts