Eld x vs berger

Watching this thread as I'm loading for 260 Rem and want to get the 143 ELd-x to work. Any advice on loads that might use H1000 (nothing too encouraging yet so far with this powder), H4831 (untried as of yet), or H4350 (soon to arrive)? Have a bunch of the 140 Berger VLDs loaded for weekend testing but not fully confident with terminal performance and like what I hear about ELD-x.

I have no experience with a 260, but would think h1000 and 4831 would eat up too much cause capacity with the 143s unless your 260 is a savage sa or tikka and you open it up to long action length. This is largely conjecture

Reading posts about ablr bullets: my local gun salesman stopped selling them because guys were having such accuracy issues.
I wondered when I saw that long boat tail on the 210s and mild ogive...seemed to me the center of gravity would be too far forward on the bullet.

I am running RL26 in my Creedmoor. It should be good in your 260.
Thx for the tips all. I have RL17 and 15 on hand but not R26. Possibly a future purchase. Bought the RL17 after reading some positive comments on it for the 260 but then saw enough comments about it being fickle so I hadn't tried it. Chamber was set up so 140 grain bullets would just touch at magazine length so I can load out to nearly 2.880.

H1000 and H4831 do seem to fill the case quickly as pointed out above. Would love to settle on a powder that is as temp stable as possible as it's a hunting rifle.

Thx for the tips all. I have RL17 and 15 on hand but not R26. Possibly a future purchase. Bought the RL17 after reading some positive comments on it for the 260 but then saw enough comments about it being fickle so I hadn't tried it. Chamber was set up so 140 grain bullets would just touch at magazine length so I can load out to nearly 2.880.

H1000 and H4831 do seem to fill the case quickly as pointed out above. Would love to settle on a powder that is as temp stable as possible as it's a hunting rifle.
RL 23 might work too and is said to be very stable. Personally, I have found 26 to be pretty good and I am pretty sure it will give you top velocity!

In my 257 I went back to nosler ballistic tips, dropping to a lower bc for reliable expansion. Had a vld pencil through a deers heart, he only went 30 feet and died, but if that had been a lung shot could've been a tracking job.
Been hammering coyotes with 143eldx, so far the terminal performance is extremely consistent. 2" exit wounds on the dogs. Very happy with them.
IMO I would take eldm hunting before vlds
Too bad Sierra didn't put tips on their Matchking...that 200gr 30cal would be wicked out of my 300wby!

Hell ELD-Ms seem to perform pretty adequate on medium size game. Does Sierra not have a 200gr TMK?

Watching this thread as I'm loading for 260 Rem and want to get the 143 ELd-x to work. Any advice on loads that might use H1000 (nothing too encouraging yet so far with this powder), H4831 (untried as of yet), or H4350 (soon to arrive)? Have a bunch of the 140 Berger VLDs loaded for weekend testing but not fully confident with terminal performance and like what I hear about ELD-x.

As for powder choice for the 260 depending on barrel length my go to would be Varget, 8208 XBR, RL16, and then RL26. According to quickload RL16 with the 6.5x47 has around a 110% fill ratio at well below max pressure. I'm compressing 41.2gr of RL16 with my 123s and am getting 2850 out of an 18" tube. Only pushed to 42.8 QL states a max of 43ish. Friend of mine was getting 2900 with RL16 and 140s out of his 6.5CM out of a 26" tube. I can't attest to whether that was safe or not, but i've continually seen many load well past max with RL16. I've not run into any pressure signs, like i was doing with 4451 and 2000MR.

2000MR will easily get you some great velocity as well though i can't attest to it's temp stability.

Last edited:
The 6.5 Sierra 150s have the same drop as the 147eldms out of my creedmoor. I'm able to get about 40 FPS more with the 147s. The sierras will not hold the accuracy at long range in my rifle even though they have a slight edge at 100.

The 6.5 Sierra 150s have the same drop as the 147eldms out of my creedmoor. I'm able to get about 40 FPS more with the 147s. The sierras will not hold the accuracy at long range in my rifle even though they have a slight edge at 100.

Would stability be causing the loss of accuracy you think?

It's possible. It's only an 8 twist but it's still should be stable. Maybe loosing some bc but should be stable.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.