Eld-x out of a tikka t3 and sako A7 300wm

Sandstrom22

Has anyone started playing with the eldx on a tikka or sako 300wm platform? I've tried doing a ladder test on my tikka with the 200 grain eldx and didn't have very good results. The sako didn't either I finally found some 178 gr Eld-x at fishermans marine yesterday and going to give them a spin, I loaded up a few yesterday and was seeing the same results . What's everyone doing for seating depth on them? I tried a few just off the lands and a bunch with a jump and still staying right at 1" to 1.3" groups at 150yds. Powder is h1000 started at 74 grains and went up to 81.5 grains without compression issues? I know the tikka shoots sub 1/2 moa with the bergers but really want these eldx to work out with the better bullet weight retention and performance that their suppose to have? Any help?

Thanks,
TJ

I have not shot the ELD X but just guessing you should try other powders. Even mess with primers. Barnes recomends startig at 10 one thousandths off the lands. Hope this may help kind og looked at these bullets myself.
I really like the barnes X bullets so the Hornady's should work equally well.

I've had good luck with IMR4350 out of my t3, but i'm also using lighter bullets. All I can really contribute.

I just ran some hornady precision hunters out of my newly built 300win. Factory ammo. 4 shots in 1 hole. The 2nd shot of my 5 shot group is less than 1/4" off the other 4. They advertise 2850 fps. So if you could get their load data or check yours to hit that mark. Or just buy the ammo loaded. It really pounds out of my rifle.

Crescent customs built by moon
300 win
700 receiver
PTG bolt
25" #3 bartlein
McMillan HTG
Nightforce Atacr 4-16x42

Pretty good build

With very little knowledge I have on bullets and reloading, the eld-x bullets need a 1-9.5" twist to stabilize. What does your rifle have for twist?? I bought a 7mag and I'm going to try the 162 eld-x and if they don't work then I'll be using a more preferred bullet out of my 7 mag.

Good luck

Most are running a little slower than expected for best accuracy. Also I loaded to mag length and got great results (220grn). I think the only ones so fare that I heard that needed seating longer than normal was the 212's. Even for the RUM Hornady is only loading them to around 2920 or 2930 is what I thought I seen on the box.

Has anyone started playing with the eldx on a tikka or sako 300wm platform? I've tried doing a ladder test on my tikka with the 200 grain eldx and didn't have very good results. The sako didn't either I finally found some 178 gr Eld-x at fishermans marine yesterday and going to give them a spin, I loaded up a few yesterday and was seeing the same results . What's everyone doing for seating depth on them? I tried a few just off the lands and a bunch with a jump and still staying right at 1" to 1.3" groups at 150yds. Powder is h1000 started at 74 grains and went up to 81.5 grains without compression issues? I know the tikka shoots sub 1/2 moa with the bergers but really want these eldx to work out with the better bullet weight retention and performance that their suppose to have? Any help?

Thanks,
TJ
You might find this thread informative. Lots of reading there now but it's a whole lot of first hand accounts of how the bullets have been performing.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/hornady-eld-x-official-thread-161172/

I am using Retumbo with the 200 grainers in my Remington 700 300 win mag. Mine are seated really close to the lands. They are shooting just great. with the help of my grandson & a few friends, we have put down 4 mulies & they are working very well. Have not recovered a bullet yet. My grandsons deer was a huge 5x6 shot at 560 yards. complete penetration & dead in his tracks.
Thanks, Kirk

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.