ELD-M vs Berger

Now, theres no difference between people saying dont use target bullets and others saying use target bullets.

I use whatever bullet i want, whether designated as target or hunting. I like all the energy being dumped in the animal as opposed to going through with a small would cavity. Most times that falls under being a target bullet. I dont shoot into shoulders and have never had to worry about bullets not penetrating through. If i dont KNOW that i can miss the scapula and hit lung i get closer. But 99.9% of my hunting gets me within 600 yards and i consider that easy enough for proper shot placement.

Be humble, informative, and use what you want to.
All of my hunting before now, was with a Partition, Accubond, or just a regular ole Hornady Interlock. I've always shot for the shoulder to make sure to get the heart. Ive never heard of anyone intentionally shooting for the lungs only.

Also, not trying to make anyone mad, but I don't believe there is such a thing as "long range hunting". Anything over 300 yards, you're just sniping unsuspecting animals.

Question for you guys that have taken game at 500-1000 yards. Ive heard people say the meat is better because the animal doesn't smell you or suspect anything. Is that actually true?

The animal I've taken at a few feet taste the same as the animals over 1000, it all about taking care of them.

The entire goal of hunting is to kill unsuspecting animals, if that is your qualification for hunting, there isn't any decent hunter out there than is actually hunting!! I've killed elk inside spitting range and all it was was sniping an unsuspecting animal, some of the most memorable, hard earned hunts I've had ended at a significate distance!!

A lot of people around here were raised that shooting a game animal in the shoulder is wasting meat with a low percentage shot vs the lungs but we target a lot more elk and that in my region, a 300 yards shot on an elk during rifle season is more like a low average than far.

Using the 175 Berger Hunting VLD in a 300 Winmag, I've taken 5 elk from 350-550 yards with perfect terminal performance. My buddy borrowed the rig this year and shot a cow at 125yd. Apparently the shot hit the shoulder or leg, bowled the elk over, but it got up and ran off with no blood at all on the snow. I think the message is all ballistic tip style of bullet is risky at short range / high velocity if you hit a bone.; something like a CoreLok is probably the best bet for this scenario. Load it as the first bullet to shoot, followed by a good long range style like the Berger or ELDM. No single bullet is optimum for these extremes!

Question I just bought a6.5 prc anyone out there use them for hunting elk deer what grain would you use for a 65prc thanks
Used my 6.5 PRC for deer this year and it worked great. 156 Berger's with H1000. Double lunged. very accurate have shot out to 1000 yards

All of my hunting before now, was with a Partition, Accubond, or just a regular ole Hornady Interlock. I've always shot for the shoulder to make sure to get the heart. Ive never heard of anyone intentionally shooting for the lungs only.

Also, not trying to make anyone mad, but I don't believe there is such a thing as "long range hunting". Anything over 300 yards, you're just sniping unsuspecting animals.

Question for you guys that have taken game at 500-1000 yards. Ive heard people say the meat is better because the animal doesn't smell you or suspect anything. Is that actually true?
I believe the number 1 is taking care of it right after killed 2 what it eats 3 runs before/after being hit.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.