ELD-M vs Berger

My only issue with Berger, is the fragmenting part. What if you need to through the shoulder? I like quartering-to shots with an Accubond, Partition, or A-Frame. Especially with a TSX.

So that's my next question. If you go through the shoulder, does anything actually make it to the heart?
I've gotten much better results getting a Berger through an elk shoulder than a TTSX or Accubonds, have yet to not get through with a Berger in fact.

I shot a spike at 280 yards with a 208 ELDM in a 300WM this year. Hit shoulder and a rib. Lots of devastation in the chest, lungs were blasted and the artery at the top of the heart was cut open. The bullet did not make it to the far side of the chest. This is a bit concerning to me at the close range but it was only a sample size of 1 animal.
The ELDM bullets do seem to fragment like the VLDs. Maybe worse? I'm not sure. They are accurate and the dope was right on in 4DOF.

Last edited:
I shot a spike at 280 yards with a 208 ELDM in a 300WM this year. Hit shoulder and a rib. Lots of devastation in the chest, lungs were blasted and the artery at the top of the heart was cut open. The bullet did not make it to the far side of the chest. This is a bit concerning to me at the close range but it was only a sample size of 1 animal.
The ELDM bullets do seem to fragment like the VLDs. Maybe worse? I'm not sure. They are accurate and the dope was right on in 4DOF.

Spike elk I assume? Interesting! My brother has shot a few whitetail with them out of a 300 WM and they seem to pass through with just decent sized exit wounds. That said an elk is a lot thicker lol Just curious because he was planning to use these on elk.

Spike elk I assume? Interesting! My brother has shot a few whitetail with them out of a 300 WM and they seem to pass through with just decent sized exit wounds. That said an elk is a lot thicker lol Just curious because he was planning to use these on elk.
Yes sorry I meant elk spike. I would bet without hitting a shoulder and rib it would have passed through at sub-300 yards.

1st off I do research 2nd half I don't use target bullets to hunt with I have a 6.5 creedmore that I make all my own amul for 783 Remington I get 5 rounds at a 100 yd to cover up a dime I've been shooting a long time Hi shoot once a week at least 30 round ammo I make and develop myself Five hundred yards I have a 3 and a 1/2 to 4" group sometimes I have drifters But every dear I have shot with the ELDX bullet has never gotten away The quotation from the gentleman that was talking about on this website was that the animals were getting away with ELDM bullet Up 57 years old I've been hunting since I was 12 have been reloading for 20 years I do my own research everybody have a great day

1st off I do research 2nd half I don't use target bullets to hunt with I have a 6.5 creedmore that I make all my own amul for 783 Remington I get 5 rounds at a 100 yd to cover up a dime I've been shooting a long time Hi shoot once a week at least 30 round ammo I make and develop myself Five hundred yards I have a 3 and a 1/2 to 4" group sometimes I have drifters But every dear I have shot with the ELDX bullet has never gotten away The quotation from the gentleman that was talking about on this website was that the animals were getting away with ELDM bullet Up 57 years old I've been hunting since I was 12 have been reloading for 20 years I do my own research everybody have a great day
I will never shoot at an animal with a target bullet either. For hunting, I've decided to use Barnes or just not hunt. I just don't get the frangible bullet angle. For self defense we don't buy bullets that come apart, because shooting angles are never a paper target facing us. Its hilarious Berger has changed absolutely nothing, but has a line called hunting bullets. Bergers shoot amazingly, but animals deserve better.

I will never shoot at an animal with a target bullet either. For hunting, I've decided to use Barnes or just not hunt. I just don't get the frangible bullet angle. For self defense we don't buy bullets that come apart, because shooting angles are never a paper target facing us. Its hilarious Berger has changed absolutely nothing, but has a line called hunting bullets. Bergers shoot amazingly, but animals deserve better.
Animals do deserve better, that why so many of us quite using Barnes!

I was literally at the point of not hunting again because all I shot was Barnes!!

I never use Barnes bullets for anything all I hear is bad stories from guys on here about how they do not perform animal deserves more respect from the human who is trying to harvest it not punch a hole through it and watch it run away hunt safe keep it in the ten ring

Now, theres no difference between people saying dont use target bullets and others saying use target bullets.

I use whatever bullet i want, whether designated as target or hunting. I like all the energy being dumped in the animal as opposed to going through with a small would cavity. Most times that falls under being a target bullet. I dont shoot into shoulders and have never had to worry about bullets not penetrating through. If i dont KNOW that i can miss the scapula and hit lung i get closer. But 99.9% of my hunting gets me within 600 yards and i consider that easy enough for proper shot placement.

Be humble, informative, and use what you want to.

It's all good everybody has their own opinions about what bullet to use to harvest the animal That doesn't mean my opinion is right in a doesn't mean yours is right it's all ethics about harvesting an animal without it getting away too many people talk about the Burger bullets and having problems with him passing right through the animal and it running off and never being able to find the animal Everybody be safe

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.