ELD-M vs Berger

For actual hunting, I use Accubonds or TSX. I just bought some Cutting Edge 180 MTH, I may try those.
I'll bet you'll love those. They sound like a dream for an all around bullet. I know some people have said that the Hornady's like to explode before the target, but I didn't experience it and I was running the 162 ELDM up to 3,228 FPS before I just stuck with the 180 for the better bc

If you are using the Hornady ELD-M or X then do yourself a favor and use the Hornady 4DOF program. It's free online and as an app. It uses Hornady's custom curves which are derived from Doppler testing and not BCs. They are very accurate. I have used them at a mile with the 7mm 180 ELD-M and have used it since it came out with my match rifles in .223, .308, 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor. 4DOF is very accurate.
I have the 4DOF app. Haven't mastered it though.
I been using the horndarys in 220gr ELD-X of my 300RUM with a 1n9 twist haven't had any problems with them
Good to hear!
I've also found 4dof to be pretty accurate for the most part. My last batch of 140 eld-m I had to adjust my form factor to 1.09 I think
You guys spouting words I don't understand yet lol
I'll bet you'll love those. They sound like a dream for an all around bullet. I know some people have said that the Hornady's like to explode before the target, but I didn't experience it and I was running the 162 ELDM up to 3,228 FPS before I just stuck with the 180 for the better bc
I'll let you know how they work out. That is if my dies ever get here.
Yes - I shoot the 230's out of my 10 twist. Have taken them to 2710
I will definitely be ordering some of those then! Thanks !

If you are using the Hornady ELD-M or X then do yourself a favor and use the Hornady 4DOF program. It's free online and as an app. It uses Hornady's custom curves which are derived from Doppler testing and not BCs. They are very accurate. I have used them at a mile with the 7mm 180 ELD-M and have used it since it came out with my match rifles in .223, .308, 6 and 6.5 Creedmoor. 4DOF is very accurate.

Their CDM for the 225 is significantly off. Meaning what i found is that the true curve wasn't as flat as predicted.

I buy lots of 500 in hopes that there is as little variation as possible.

With Berger, regardless of caliber, i might see .003 difference loading lots of 100. With Hornady, I've seen as much as .030 variation, that is not acceptable to me.

Sierras are also very consitant.

I also like the performance on game better with Berger vs Hornady.
I agree with this. The Bergers are more consistent bullet to bullet. I will load Bergers strait out of the box without weighing them first but I weigh and sort all my eld for consistency's sake.

My only issue with Berger, is the fragmenting part. What if you need to through the shoulder? I like quartering-to shots with an Accubond, Partition, or A-Frame. Especially with a TSX.

So that's my next question. If you go through the shoulder, does anything actually make it to the heart?
I used to shoot Berger , consistent , accurate, but had issues with big bones , if you hit in chest , in the ribs somewhere your fine, just my experience, shot a dozen deer with Berger's but not anymore, I know the hatters will respond.

I've tried both bullets in my 7mm Rem mag and my 338 RUM. The Bergers printed smaller groups more easily but both bc's held true for me out to 950 yards. Having said that, the 300 gr OTM dropped my whitetail buck at 550 yards. 2 minutes later he stood back up and began walking around again. I switched to the 285 ELDM and hit him again at 650, a bit high and severed the spine. Both the back straps were destroyed along with the tenderloins. I was never able to determine exactly where the Berger hit him because I only found a pinhole in his neck but no other damage aside from where the ELD nearly cut him in half. I'm switching to monos for next year
I also had issues with Berger's in past and went with Hammer hunters this year , very consistent very accurate took two dear and a cow elk all ran 25 yds and dead.

Not a "fan boy" of any particular bullet or manufacture. Having used them all recently, in .223, 6mm, 6.5, 7mm all bolt guns and verified drops out to a mile in various conditions. (Not with the 22 Wylde duh) Here are my favorites:
.223 Nosler RDF 77 grain
6 mm Berger 109 LRHT and Nosler 115 RDF
6.5 mm Berger 156 EOL and 153.5 LRHT and Nosler 140 RDF
7 mm Nosler 185 RDF and Berger 175 elite hunter. (I do like the 195 EOL just not as much as the 175 in the 7SS case, maybe the 7 Max will bring it to life for me)

the ones I personally will not buy again Hornady and Sierra. Tested match kings, ELDMs and some ATIPs ... they underperformed the Nosler and Bergers in my experience. To be fair may need more experience with the Sierra but it never came together in load development like the Noslers and Bergers seem to do almost effortlessly and predictably. The ELDMs were accurate and the ATIP was just not any better for the added cost and maybe even less consistent than both the Nosler and Berger in the 6.5 caliber. The main reason I will stay clear of the Hornady for anything hunting is I have seen their EL bullets in all of these calibers go up in a white cloud of smoke about 150 yards down range. The last thing we want and the first thing Murphy's law dictates will happen to me, is the day I have the once in a lifetime tag in my pack and that once in a lifetime ram in my reticle view, will be the day the first ELD bullet vaporizes for me and with it my dream hunt .08 seconds after leaving the muzzle. There are things we can control and things we can't. I can ensure a Hornady bullet will not do this on my hunt by never having one chambered in in my rifle in a hunting scenario. I have a few hundred laying around I will use them for fire forming and practice on steel and when they're gone they're gone. They are a great company, ran by great folks and will get it squared away and succeed, just will not have my biz when Nosler and Berger have knocked it out id the park for us on steel and game consistently.
Would you be interested in purchasing some rdf ? 6.5 and .308 ?

I used Hornady bullets for years and that's all I would use. Then I had some bad luck with getting some ELDs to shoot for me, so I tried some Berger's and haven't looked back. The Hornady ELDs work good, but as others have said they're not as consistent as Berger's or Sierras. I shoot Berger's in all three of my hunting rifles and have yet to have any accuracy or consistency problems with them. That's just my experience.
Question I just bought a6.5 prc anyone out there use them for hunting elk deer what grain would you use for a 65prc thanks

I know the Berger fan boys think the VLD is the greatest thing since sliced bread, and swear every other bullet in the world has false BC values.

The ELD's seem like they are hugely popular, so I want to know from the guys that have shot them to 1000 yards and beyond. Does the BC seem to be accurate with your actual shots. In other words, do the Ballistic charts line up with your experiences?

I had Bergers for my other 300 RUM. The tip of every bullet was deformed, and all in different ways. That can not help its BC.
I shot this group today with,
156gr Berger EOL, H1000
I went out to 500, 900, and 1100 yards today with the 156gr Berger and 153gr A-Tip. Both Preformed excellent and actually shot 2moa less than what my calculator said at those distances. Next thing to test is what one will work better on an animal at distance.

Attachments

• 2A580470-5F1D-4DF0-8391-273B042ED3C7.jpeg
    2A580470-5F1D-4DF0-8391-273B042ED3C7.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
When I started shooting ELR I started with a custom 338 Edge. That was over 4200 rounds through the same tube ago. Countless different bullets, powder, brass, primer combos. The barrel still shoots nearly hole-in-a-hole at 100yds and it shoots less than 1.0 moa at 1000, and cleans up at 2000yds. It shoots 285gr ELD-Ms @ 2980fps true to its posted 0.829 BC.. Has for years.

When I started shooting ELR I started with a custom 338 Edge. That was over 4200 rounds through the same tube ago. Countless different bullets, powder, brass, primer combos. The barrel still shoots nearly hole-in-a-hole at 100yds and it shoots less than 1.0 moa at 1000, and cleans up at 2000yds. It shoots 285gr ELD-Ms @ 2980fps true to its posted 0.829 BC.. Has for years.
That is some badass shooting sir!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.