ELD-M vs Berger

I used Hornady bullets for years and that's all I would use. Then I had some bad luck with getting some ELDs to shoot for me, so I tried some Berger's and haven't looked back. The Hornady ELDs work good, but as others have said they're not as consistent as Berger's or Sierras. I shoot Berger's in all three of my hunting rifles and have yet to have any accuracy or consistency problems with them. That's just my experience.

All great replies! Exactly what I was wanting to see. Ive got the 212, 220, and 225s because its what I was able to get right now. I'm just starting in the long game, so I'm learning.

Will my 1:10 shoot a 230 Berger?
I know of a guy shooting 230s out of a 10 twist 30 Nosler. He is getting very impressive accuracy with hand loads.

Ive shot 230s out of many 1:10 twist big 30 mag rifles very accurately. Regarding the eld line, we have shot at least 10 elk, deer and antelope in the last two years with 147m, 175x, 180m and 225m. Havent lost one yet and one deer needed a second shot due to a spine shot. Happy with them

I'm having a barrel made for my 30-06 and the barrel maker was insistent That we increase the twist, 1-10 twist in the 30-06 is just about standard and has a great range of bullets it will shoot well. His point was that bullets are getting longer, if not heavier. and that with the longer bullet, increased twist would be a great help in shooting them accurately. So on this barrel I'm going to go 1-9 and if that shows promise maybe 1-8 in the future.
1 in 8 would be for the 250 A-Tips, and the .30-06 would be lobbing those with the trajectory of a mortar. No offense meant.

I have killed game with the 180 ELDm out to 863 yards this year. The are more violent expanders than my 180 bergers. Too violet up close as you do not get a pass through even on 80 pound does(muzzle velocity 2960fps). I really like them at impact velocity from about 2650 to 1800. Above and below that threshold not so much.

BC wise I have them running a g1 of .735 and that is exactly correct for my rifle. A lot of people on this forum do not shoot their rifle enough to have DOPE. All they have are estimations based on a manufacturer or a ballistics app. Applied ballistics said my g1 bc was .705. I was shooting high at all ranges tweaked around with the BC value and stumbled upon .735. That is

DATA
OF
PREVIOUS
ENGAGEMENTS

Not an estimation. The biggest issue with the hornady eldm and eldx are their base to o give variation. If your rifle like them I suggest you buy in bulk and sort all of your bullets accordingly.

I primarily shoot Berger but my shooting partner only shoots hornady. He's had fantastic luck and has taken them too 1100 yards with great results. I use to shoot the amax and love them, and actually picked up a box of 80gr amax while looking for the eldm's to try out of a new 223.

Last edited:
I have killed game with the 180 ELDm out to 863 yards this year. The are more violent expanders than my 180 bergers. Too violet up close as you do not get a pass through even on 80 pound does(muzzle velocity 2960fps). I really like them at impact velocity from about 2650 to 1800. Above and below that threshold not so much.

BC wise I have them running a g1 of .735 and that is exactly correct for my rifle. A lot of people on this forum do not shoot their rifle enough to have DOPE. All they have are estimations based on a manufacturer or a ballistics app. Applied ballistics said my g1 bc was .705. I was shooting high at all ranges tweaked around with the BC value and stumbled upon .735. That is

DATA
OF
PREVIOUS
ENGAGEMENTS

Not an estimation. The biggest issue with the hornady eldm and eldx are their base to o give variation. If your rifle like them I suggest you buy in bulk and sort all of your bullets accordingly.
My only issue with Berger, is the fragmenting part. What if you need to through the shoulder? I like quartering-to shots with an Accubond, Partition, or A-Frame. Especially with a TSX.

So that's my next question. If you go through the shoulder, does anything actually make it to the heart?

Last edited:
My only issue with Berger, is the fragmenting crap. What if you need to through the shoulder? I like quartering-to shots with an Accubond, Partition, or A-Frame. Especially with a TSX.

So that's my next question. If you go through the shoulder, does anything actually make it to the heart?

This I want to know as well from the Berger experts.

You'll have the same issue with thw ELD, but I believe that's where going heavier comes in to play, meaning, I'll use the 180gr vs the 168gr in my 7mm Rem Mag or you the 210gr vs the 185gr. In my experience the heavier the bullet the more penetration you get.

If you are still concerned then a bonded will work best but provably not as high BC for longer range though. The quest for the magical do it all bullet Lol.

That said I still would like to know if the heavier Bergers do go through the shoulder of a larger game animal and smooch the lungs.

Stay safe

1 in 8 would be for the 250 A-Tips, and the .30-06 would be lobbing those with the trajectory of a mortar. No offense meant.
The crazy thing is that even with the slow start those a tips bc is so high that according to my ballistic calculator (which we all acknowledge isn't gospel truth but close enough :) ) the 30-06 stays supersonic to over a mile with that bullet. Interesting...

I still do intend to give Berger's a try. I've been so satisfied with hornady so far I haven't tried much else but (and this is embarrassing on this forum) i have yet to shoot further than 500 or so. Inside 500 any inconsistencies that may be present in hornady haven't proven to matter. The most inconsistent bullets have to be Speer (and my 243 gobbles those up like candy) and interestingly enough the only truly unacceptably inconsistent box of bullets I've bought was Nosler, not what I expected. But it was a one time thing.

225 eld m is awesome out of my 300 win mag. Took my deer with it this year (not a monster, first thing I saw truth be told, only had one day to hunt) Not that it told much about terminal performance...neck/high shoulder junction quartering towards me downhill, 350-ish yards, right through the spine. I suspect a 55 grain fmj would have procured similar results. But it's accurate.

Attachments

• 8F844DD1-60A2-4A48-BA2B-B4EE125BFB52.jpeg
    8F844DD1-60A2-4A48-BA2B-B4EE125BFB52.jpeg
    868.7 KB · Views: 135
I shoot both bergers and elds in my 338 RUM. I like them both. The elds need to be seated atleast .20 of the lands or further where as the bergers can be loaded a tenth off the lands. I load them with H1000 or R23. I am starting to prefer R23 over H1000 as the SDs seem to be lower. The elds are 285 and with 88.5grs of R23 I am getting 2820 and they stay supersonic to 2100 yards. The bergers are 300 over 91grs of H1000 @ 2773 and are supersonic to 2000 yrds. Both group well! Both will group sub moa to 1250. I really don't think you can go wrong with either but I am leaning toward the elds. I have been shooting 168gr amaxs in my 308s for years. I shoot bergers in my 6.5 and 300WM.

Both seem to have a consistant bc. I have not had to adjust my dope much out to a 1000. If anything they both tend to shoot flatter out to about 1000 yards.The problems tend to show up beyond that.

I have about 200 bergers through my 338 and around 50 of the elds but just worked up another 50 to head to the range latter in the week. I have several thousand bergers and amaxs through the others. Good luck! Both companies make great bullets.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.