Ejector Marks on Lower Loads?

samson

Good Morning. I have a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in a 6.5 PRC and am in the process of working up a load for the 143 ELD-X. I am using RL26 and seeing Ejector Marks at 54 Grains. This is at .050 off the lands. This seems a bit low for a charge listening to others and what they are shooting. I ran it thru a Magnetospeed and is showing 2983fps. No Hard Bolt Lift but a bit of cratering in Primer. I believe this is due to the larger opening of the firing pin. Any suggestions?

Did the bolt feel a little stiff on opening? The most common cause for this in a load that is not near max and the rifle is known to have no problems is some sizing lube still on the case or oil/cleaning fluids in the chamber. Try wiping down a cartridge with a little alcohol or brake cleaner on a rag and swab the chamber with the same then shoot a round or two and see if the ejector mark is lessened.

If you are not getting stiff bolt lift you are not likely having pressure issues. I have a Ruger than gets ejector marks on normal pressure loads; just the way some rifles are.

Well, I think i figured out what was going on. I am shooting suppressed and realized that the suppressor was only rated to a 308 Winchester. The 6.5 PRC was too much pressure for that can. Stupid Mistake. I do have an appropriate Yankee Hill can that i can swap.

I don't trust any type of marks on the brass for the most part since some brass like Hornady are very soft. I always go by bolt lift. Also, primer indentations can be very deceiving too.

I don't trust any type of marks on the brass for the most part since some brass like Hornady are very soft. I always go by bolt lift. Also, primer indentations can be very deceiving too.
^^^^^Same here^^^^

A lot of information can be gleaned from the feel of the bolt lift; whether it occurs early in the extraction cycle or a late cycle 'pop' or 'click'.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.