Effectiveness of Glass Bedding

KadeL99

I own a Savage 116 FCSS weather warrior in 300 Win Mag and I am looking to improve my rifles accuracy. I am at around 1.25-1.5 MOA at 100 yards and the rifle is completely stock. I am wondering about the effectiveness of glass bedding a Boyds stock or any other modifications I could do to lower my grouping size. Shooting 195 gr Hornady BTHP.

Yes I feel your rifle will be more consistent with a (properly) bedded action, compared with a Tupperware non accustock stock. Remember to float the tang when bedding Savage acions.
Do you reload?
Try 185 Berger Hybrid target or 180 Elite hunter with h1000 or Reloder 25.

You will do WAY more accuracy tuning on a rifle with the ammo.

Also I recommend Devcon 10110 steel for bedding.

Epoxy bedding can only help with accuracy, especially in a Boyd's stock. Like most aftermarket stocks they are generically inletted. The Boyd's is very strong and rigid and are available in several styles. I've bedded a dozen or so Boyd's and all benefited greatly. The Savage action is a bit more difficult to bed than most. If you're experienced in bedding, great, but if not find someone who is. Good luck

The answer is "it depends".

It depends upon what's causing your accuracy troubles. There are a thousand different things that could be causing it. Bedding isn't going to fix a bad barrel.

It's one of those things that needs to be right for a rifle to shoot but bedding it might not fix your problem. Then again, it might.

The Weather Warriors have the aluminum bedding block stock. Called the Accustock. I would try to work with that before going to a Boyd's and bedding it.
I would make sure the recoil lug is firm against the bedding block and the action screws are torqued 50 to 65 inch pounds.
Start at 50 shoot go to 55 etc. And see how it does.
Then like others said reload with a good bullet and work up a load. Nosler 180 GR. Ballistic Tips are another accurate, forgiving and easy to load for bullet.
Should be easy to get it 3/4 MOA.

I look at it as; Every rifle is bedded, not all bedding will get the most of the rifle.

Yes I've seen some amazing accuracy improvements from fixing problems in the stock. I've been certain a barrel replacement would be need to get on track, only to change the stock, and find out not.

What Barrelnut said. Work with your Accu-stock first. I recently got a model 11 Longrange Hunter with Accustock. Out of the box when testing for max load, it seemed to throw everything almost in the same ragged hole. Then I took it out of the stock to adjust the trigger and have nothing but problems with it. Bad vertical stringing. After poking around about, I found this:
http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?265-Proper-Torque-Sequence-For-The-AccuStock

It made a very big difference by backing off the front screw 1/2 turn (as per the instructions) and running the torque up to 45 inch pounds in 10 i.p. increments. 45 i.p. seems to be the spot on mine. Mine doesn't have the wedge but it still pertains.

If you're still having troubles after trying the stock changes consider getting a quality barrel.
do you know of any that you would recommend ? I am just starting out in precision shooting so any help at all is much appreciated.

I own a Savage 116 FCSS weather warrior in 300 Win Mag and I am looking to improve my rifles accuracy. I am at around 1.25-1.5 MOA at 100 yards and the rifle is completely stock. I am wondering about the effectiveness of glass bedding a Boyds stock or any other modifications I could do to lower my grouping size. Shooting 195 gr Hornady BTHP.
My 30-06 shoots 1.25-1.5 " at 100 yards so I deemed it a 200-300 yard rifle. Then I shot on paper at 300 yards, it shot a consistent 1.5". So then I shot at small plastic bottles at 450 yards, no problem to hit those either. My point being you may try it on paper at longer distances before doing anything.

do you know of any that you would recommend ? I am just starting out in precision shooting so any help at all is much appreciated.

I would recommend Bartlein, Benchmark or HawkHill, but of course those are just the ones Ive used and have had excellent results with, I'm sure there's many more great barrel makers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.