Effective Game Killing - Part 1

ADMIN

Administrator
For hunting purposes the primary task of the projectile is to provide a fast humane kill. This minimizes suffering to the animal and simplifies location of the carcass. Destruction of the major nervous centers such as the brain or forwards portion of the spine cause the fastest killing but such targets are often difficult to hit. Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Effective Game Killing - Part 1, By Nathan Foster. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

Last edited:
For anyone who hasn't visited the authors webpage, please do yourself a favour, I learnt more on bulllet impact and bullet choice there in two days that 20 years of listening to "experts" at gun clubs. A great article, I hope he will do us the honour of writing more.

I have devoured Mr Foster's website and refer back to it often. In looking back at my 65 years of hunting experience with cartridge/bullet successes and failures, I now understand much better.
Thank you sir for sharing your practical experience with us. Hope to see more.

For anyone who hasn't visited the authors webpage, please do yourself a favour, I learnt more on bulllet impact and bullet choice there in two days that 20 years of listening to "experts" at gun clubs. A great article, I hope he will do us the honour of writing more.

I agree with this post and I would also add that I have purchased and read all of his books and there is a wealth of information there also. If you are serious about LR hunting and doing it right buy his books.

what am i missing here? newtons law, if i put on body armor and you shoot me with a 300 win mag you get hit as hard as i do? there has to be more to this than simple action equal reaction.

I dont want to sound like a dick here but there is at least 1 thing in this article that is written in a way that is misleading.. energy transfer to the bullet is hydraulic so can only be compared to hydraulic force at the target you cant say that energy transfer at the target is relative to recoil at the gun..Ive read a lot of Nathans stuff and he has certainly done a lot of testing how ever id go out on a limb and say he has tried to get to scientific in this article.. Just my opinion

I dont want to sound like a dick here but there is at least 1 thing in this article that is written in a way that is misleading.. energy transfer to the bullet is hydraulic so can only be compared to hydraulic force at the target you cant say that energy transfer at the target is relative to recoil at the gun..Ive read a lot of Nathans stuff and he has certainly done a lot of testing how ever id go out on a limb and say he has tried to get to scientific in this article.. Just my opinion

Hydraulic shock. Its real.

i was just rereading Vaughn's book , rifle accuracy facts and saw that he said the force accelerating the bullet is equal to recoil force.

Interesting for sure. I get the whole hydrostatic shock, but I think that immediate loss of blood pressure plays a huge role in DRT. When large arteries are punctured or destroyed blood pressure drops to zero in a very short time (seconds), and the brain instantly reacts by shutting down a lot of functions, including conscientiousness. Death is then a formality that happens shortly after.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.