EER / handgun scopes

The bolt handgun I just never got around to. But I do have a crazy Contender. I don't think the company that made the barrel is still in business. 7-30 Waters, sizing die cut with same reamer as chamber. For that gun you can get wood made for a special wood rest, can't recall the name right now but the forend and bottom of the grip have these huge flat sections that marry to the rest. The wood on the gun is fiddleback maple with barrel and action stainless. With my limited shooting skills can still do 1/2 MOA at 100 yds, and when I do that I do use the Burris Handgun variable to 12x. At the time I was younger, and with young kids so not the same funds for projects like this to go bolt action. But your point about brakes is a good one too. When I built that gun brakes on any gun were not common but today most people have experienced the amazing recoil reduction you can get with a good brake. I have a 300 RUM long range bolt gun with a Fat Bastard brake. Less recoil than my 18lb 308. But if you put anything light on the bench you will have to search for it after the first shot. Today can's are an even better options.

John.

Trying to be proactive-- looking at the "new" atty general/atf guidelines form 4999 (if they stay the same after the "suggestion" period) --- According to their points system, rifle scopes on pistols : "the presence of rifles scopes that have an eye relief incompatable with shooting the pistol 1 handed" receive 4 points, if you have 4 points on any section of the worksheet, your pistol is automatically considered an sbr since it is no longer intended to shoot 1 handed

I currently have 1-6 and 1.5-6 rifle scopes on my 2 pistols, the eye relief isn't compatible with shooting at extended arms length .
COH are you saying that there's a new regulation coming out that makes shooting riflescopes on specialty pistols illegal?

COH are you saying that there's a new regulation coming out that makes shooting riflescopes on specialty pistols illegal?
Possibly, the wording is cloudy ( as usual) -- it looks to be aimed at pistols with braces/stabilizers, but might possibly re-classify what the atf considers a "pistol" and an sbr.--- it has a weight limit, and a length limit that might roll over to all pistols too.
ATF is claiming that these "pistols" were never meant to be shot one handed, and can't be shot one handed therefore aren't pistols, but actually sbr's . As the atf definition of a pistol includes the words " intended and designed to be shot one handed"

A few things on the list could possibly roll into any pistol, if the pistol weighs less than 64 oz and is under 12 inches long its definately still a pistol for the most part, but it can't be over 120 ounces or 26 inches in length or its considered an sbr, or if it has a "scope with incompatable eye relief of shooting the firearm one handed"
Right now, the precursor is that the so-called pistol has a brace on it, but its in its preliminary state and the wording could change to include any firearm with a rifled barrel of less than 16" with a pistol grip.

Some states already have length and weight limitations for "pistols" but this would become a federal "guideline" and new "defifinition" of what classifies something as a pistol vs an sbr

IF this rolls over to change the definition of ALL pistols, then if you had a pistol (with no brace) but is longer than 26 inches, weighs over 120 ounce, or had a rifle scope on it --- it wouldn't meet the definition of a pistol, therefore it would fall into the "AOW" classification of an nfa firearm and would require "registration" and a tax stamp and accompanied fee.

Last edited:
Tell you what if there is one conservative in this country who doesn't get out and vote this next election I'm gonna find him and request they get a psychological evaluation.