EE Quilt vs Kuiu sleeping bag

You lay on your pad and the use the quilt similar to a blanket. Mine has a sewn in foot box which most have something similar although they make some that snap together so if you unsnap it, it would make a flat blanket. Mine also has "connections" on the sides which I rigged up some cord that goes under the pad to keep it tucked in under the pad to minimize drafts. I also bought the long model since the extra weight is minimal and it's nice to be able to pull it over your head if you want to. For me, it is one of the best things I've bought and I sleep a whole lot better with it vs a mummy.

Do you sleep in your clothes or thermal bottoms? When I sleep in my mummy bag I just sleep in underwear and if it's real cold at shirt. I was just woundering cause it seams like I would sweat a lot lying directly on the sleeping pad.

Muleys talker - I usually sleep in a base layer, not that it's needed for warmth but mainly because I don't like to get dressed in a cold tent with only underwear. Sleeping on a pad never causes me to sweat, quite the opposite. If it's too hot, a quilt is easier to vent just like a blanket.

The argument FOR a quilt:
-> It eliminates the bottom of a mummy bag, which is compressed by body weight and gives little insulation g=for the weight. Some truth tho that idea and it's why some bag makers use synthetic filling the bottom 1/2 of their bags. It's less compressible.

The argument AGAINST a quilt:
-> It must have straps to hold the edges under a mattress and you need to wear a separate hood. Plus cold air can enter at the shoulder area by the mattress.

In summer I often use my mummy as a quilt B/C it's more like sleeping at home.

In winter I use my mommy AS a mummy. Mountaineers don't use quilts and for good reason, they try to save grams wherever possible.

Quilt users, like hammock users and no-frame pack users are in a cult of their own. But hey, HYOH. (Hike Your Own Hike)

Litehiker - I would certainly disagree with some of your post. I personally tried a quilt because I move around a lot at nite so for many years, I've not slept well in a mummy. They've always kept me warm but a poor nights sleep was my hope in switching to a quilt. So I agree they will be lighter than a mummy but the main thing for me was to sleep better.
I do not wear a hoodie but I often wear a stocking cap but I had to do that in a mummy as well as I couldn't stand to have a mummy hood cinched up at nite. Also not sure you have to have straps to go under your mattress but I think it's best and warmer that way, plus string weights almost nothing. So not sure why that'd be an argument against a quilt? Pretty easy to slip the pad on top of any strings/straps.
Not sure what you mean that Mountaineers don't use quilts because they try to save grams? I don't think there's any question that quilts are lighter for the same rated temps so it seems the opposite of what you're saying? I do think that a mummy is a bit warmer for the same rating in general because you are more sealed up in a mummy and you potentially can have more drafts in a quilt. However I have not had that problem but I don't typically camp in way below zero temps where that might be more critical. I was very skeptical of quilts before I tried one 2 years ago but for me, it's one of the best things I've done and now I get a good nites sleep plus save about 3 lbs over my mummy!

I zip my mummy down and sleep in it like a quilt. I just seem to get better sleep that way. I usually wake up in the morning on my belly sleeping directly on the pad. My next purchase will definitely be some type of quilt. I also like the ability to control my body temp by sticking a leg or arm out of bag, think that give a big useable temperature range for my bag. I have very warm nights and very cold nights during the same hunt almost every year so I think versatility is a plus,

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.