Edict of asking for a timeline update with smith?

pods8

First time working with a smith (has a good reputation) but I'm aware timelines creep. I dropped my rifle off a couple months ago when my barrel blank arrived (which I had him order in Dec with a deposit), he said the work would likely be later May. I'm curious now where he thinks he's at but also don't want to be a pestering "is it done yet" customer. When in folks minds is a casual inquiry call appropriate?

Just to be clear I'm not a disgruntled customer, just very excited/antsy to start doing load work on the rebarreled gun. [Range opportunities and time are both limited for me, hoping to have things ready to go for fall...].

gun)

It's your money and your gun... You have a right to know when it's going to be finished. He said May...It's almost June. I'd call him and ask him. I wouldn't be pushy or rude. But it never hurts to inquire.

My smith is usually WAY faster than he says. If he says, "I'm backed up, it might take me a couple weeks before I can get to it..." He's usually calling me before that saying it's ready. LOL But my smith is one in a million, and very very few smiths have work turned out that fast, but because that is not his full-time profession, he is nowhere near as busy as those who do it everyday for a living.

Title should have been "etiquette", oops. :rolleyes:

Yeah he's got a 4-5mo backlog and stated that right off the bat when I first started talking to him so that part was clear/understood. Now I'm just antsy. :D

Absolutely no harm in making a call to inquire on the delivery date as long as you keep it respectful. The smith will appreciate a pleasant conversation and may expedite your order based on that.

I think Jerry puts it best responding to a similar query ...

The best way to answer you is, Each Gunsmith has "His" way of building rifles. Some build many at one time and others build them one at a time. If the smith builds more than one rifle at a time, you share the time with these rifles.

If one at a time it should only take 1 to 3 weeks if he has all the parts to complete the rifle before he starts.

Parts are the problem in most cases and beyond his control to some extent, but he can expedite
in some cases.

The main thing the gun smith should do is give you a completion date based on the delivery of all the components and stick to it.

Some hate to give long delivery dates in fear of losing the job, But honoring there commitments
is more important to most.

I tell vendors, "Don't tell me what I want to hear, tell me how long Before I get the item"
And if they don't meet there schedule, they go to the bottom of my vendor list and are only used if there are no other options.

Another thing is never pay 100% of the money up front. You should pay for all parts up front and pay labor as work is done or at completion.

J E CUSTOM

Patience, grasshopper...

If your smith said "Later May", I would say he's still on time. I'd give him at least a couple of weeks before I started pestering him.

While it's true that squeaky wheels get oiled, do you really want your smith to be doing a hurry up job because you're being pushy?

I've always had a gentleman's agreement with my smiths: You take your time and do the best job possible, and I promise to not pester you. If you hold up your end of the deal, and the smith does not, then find a new smith. If both parties fulfill the deal, then you've got the start of a great relationship.

If you must, drop the smith a friendly "just checking in" e-mail, if he does e-mail. E-mails can be responded to at his convenience during his morning cup of coffee.

-nosualc

I gave him a ring yesterday afternoon after some here thought it wouldn't be nagging and just inquired what he thought the status of completion would be. He acknowledged it was a gun he had slated to be completed before the end of May but had a death in the family and is running a week or two behind. After offering condolences I said okay keep me posted. While I don't want to be an annoying squeak if that call by chance bumped my rebarrel to next week instead of the week after I wouldn't complain. (There is a public weekend at one of the local ranges next weekend that would save me 3hrs of round trip driving to go shooting if I got it the following week).

Per the FEENIX post. Its a rebarrel job with a recoil lug addition, the barrel was in before and he's got the lugs stocked, all parts are there, just waiting for my slot in his schedule (which I knew of). Just a barrel deposit paid up front. All in all transaction is fine to date.

Well in contrast, I've had a bunch of guns built over the years, and so far the only builder in the chains(barrels, stocks, actions, every finish work, whole guns) that hasn't lied to me, is BAT machine.
These have been those touted as the 'best in the world', 'very reliable', 'great guy', etc.
It's been very consistent- bad business ethics.

IMO, you should assume you're being lied to, and develop a plan..
Don't let faith mess you up.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts