Edge questions

Cruizin

Well I'm getting close. Well not really should have my stock in 5 months, but getting ready to order some stuff and had a few questions. I was wondering what brass to go with. Looks like its Rem or Nosler. I've heard Nosler wasn't that great. How is the Rem brass? Are there any other options out there?

What die system have you guys used? I was going to go with Redding neck dies but what do you guys use to open the case mouth?

I have a Rem 700 action and will be buying a Nightforce 5.5 x 2.2 x 56. My goal it to hit a target at a mile. Will the 20 moa bases get me there?

i just ran exbal with 300smk @2950 zero at 100 and came up with 58moa so it would be close better to go with a 30-40 moa base thats what i'm getting to put on my 338-300rum. i'm going to use rem brass i know that i don't shoot good enough to see a differance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif so i'm going with the cheaper rem brass and wieght it out to get some close to the same

The nightforce scopes have 100moa travel. I was thinking of going with the 40moa bases but is it really necessary? I don't think I will be trying any shots past a mile.

i would lean your scope just far enough to get to your farthest shot. reason is, i like my scope trackin in the middle of it's travel for "most" of the shots i will take.the base on my 338/300 has about 34 MOA and with 60 MOA travel in the scope,i was close to a 500 yd zero.with a 20 MOA base and 100 adjustment in the scope, you will have no problem getting to a mile.with a 100 yd zero you'll probably be in the 60-65 MOA at a mile.

I'm using Remington brass and its just fine. I'm on my second and third loadings and they still look good. I use the Redding full length sizing dies and all I did was use them to size the neck up, I deburred the flash holes and started loading. I got a .24 inch group at 100 yards just doing that. I know some seperate cases and bullets and all that, but I didn't even bother.

I have the Nightforce 5.5 - 22 x 50 with 20 moa base and I can get to 1 mile easily.

Federal was making 300 RUM brass which is pretty good, I haven't bought it in a while so I don't know if they are still making it. You might want to check it out as well.

AG

I just checked my Nightforce scope and with the 20 moa base, I have 75 moa of up left in the scope. This is more than enough to get to 1 mile. My data is showing that I'll need around 65 moa to get there.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.