edge or lapua mag???

The 338-408 will be a significant step up, to about 3200fps or more with the 300SMK. It comes at a price though and would not be my choice for a primary or only LR gun. It requires a custom action and will get to be substantial in size and weight. Not a carry gun without going to extreme measures to reduce weight. I'm not restricted to weight here in PA but do want to try to keep mine to 16# if/when I get around to building one. It will be a limited use hunting gun with a lot of COOL factor.

Performance wise these two and the 338 RUM are virtually identical so you must look at other issues. All are equally accurate. I built and chronographed many variations of these back in the 90's when these cases came out and I had my shop and shooting range.

The only difference is cost. If you want to get into a big 338 the cheapest the 338-300 ultramag or 338 RUM is the way to go because you can use a standard magnum donor action, screw a barrel in and your good to go. Brass is cheap. Those are the benefits of the 338-300 ultramag and 338 RUM. They give you a slight performance gain over the 340 Weatherby at the same cost as the 340.

If you are going with a custom rifle or have a Weatherby mk 5 action then you definitely want to step up to the lapua, 378 wby or 416 Rigby case. With those you can improve those cases in 338 and go well beyond anything off the ultramag case in performance. If you are interested in the Lapua then do the improved version and get the performance of it. No need leaving performance laying on the table because at extreme long range performance/velocity is everything to eliminate as much wind drift as possible plus killing power. Brass is more expensive and the rifle is more expensive but you get what you pay for performance wise.

I have built well over 100 variations of big 338's including all the ones commonly discussed on this forum. To me the cost is worth it for the extra peformance because when I get that once in a lifetime shot at a true trophy class animal I want to know I have the best to make that shot. I do not use anything off the ultramag case if I am hunting where I think the shots are going beyond a half mile or about 900 yards. It can kill animals beyond that but why fool with it when there are much better choices to carry you to extreme long range. With 300 grain bullets accuracy loads for the ultramag cases and standard Lapua are going to hit 2750-2850 fps. Some of the others I mentioned will get you to 3050-3150 fps. That gives you an advantage over the ultramag cases at long range with less wind drift and elevation to consider plus killing power.

If you are considering spending the money for a custom build then look at the lapua imp or something bigger if you want the best at extreme long range. Get your info from people who have been there and done that for years, not hawking proprietary cartridges, and don't listen to BS on the internet from Joe Blow who has a particular rifle and made some good shots with it.

If you want to get there with the least expense build one of the ultramags and you will be very happy with it. With a lot of practice you can take animals beyond 1000 yards with it and save a lot of money over the faster cartridges. Unless you are considering extreme long range there is no need to spend the exra money for the bigger stuff. By the same token don't spend a lot of money and be stuck with something off the ultramag case because for the big money you can get much more performance.

Good luck with your choice, Really you can't make a bad decision with a big 338. This info is considering a hunting weight rifle. You have some good info through there and the 408 or 50 BMG case can get you faster but the weight as mentioned makes it a stationary rifle

Last edited:
There is lots of good advise to be had on this site. I was in your shoes about a year and a half ago I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted a Lapua an Edge or just go with the Rum. Than I got to talking with my cousin liltank and remembered that when I had my 338 Rem mag and was looking at my reloading manual I told him that i would love to have a 338 Lapua mag some day. So I decided to go with the Lapua. Then of course I kept changing my mind should I go with an improved version or the standard Lapua. I got to talking to my smith and he told me to try the standard Lapua first and see how it shot before going with an improved version that I might not need the extra case capacity. Well long story short I built a standard Lapua on a Savage target action with a 32" Douglas brl with a 1:10 twist. I am currently using H-50 BMG with the 300gr SMK's at 2754fps and good accuracy. I have been able to run the 300gr SMK with H-1000 at 2980fps. I currently have five reloads on the brass that I'm using with no signs of giving up the ghost. With that being said build what you want to build because you are the one that is going to have to shoot it feed it and lug it around. 2750-2950 fps is a good range to be at with the 300gr's. Keep in mind that these are gonna thump you at those speeds no matter what you decide to shoot in the big 338's. Mine is in the 20# range with no brake and still has pretty good recoil to it, so you will also want a brake on it. Good luck in choosing a caliber to build on, no matter which one you choose it will be a good one.

I had the same delimma to start with, Lapua or Edge :)
I looked at everything, like for like the Lapua seems to be about 30 fps faster, 300 SMK, 30" tube.
I wanted a light carry rifle, that didn't cost a fortune, so the Lapua lost.
My rig weighs 9.5 lbs with scope & 30" tube.
The accuaracy is unbelivable, the biggest problem is me.
The Edge load is so forgiving in my rifle, so easy to get accurate.
I am more than happy with my decision & will probably build another one :D
Having said that I am looking at a factory rifle in Lapua at the moment for a different role so weight isn't a problem & the rifle is way cool, not sure whether to improve it or not ?.

Good luck with your decision you won't regret it either way :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.