EDC ammo

bdlesh

I was wondering how often or if ever you change out your EDC ammo? I am a " worst case scenario " type and change mine every year. I know this is probably overkill, but I shoot up what I have for practise.
How long is to long to risk issues?

Thanks

I'll change out every year.

The mag that stays loaded in my pistol- I will change that chambered round out periodically.

the biggest risk is to the chambered round and how often you load/unload the gun. I do what I do just because I think a mag full of ammo is worth much less than my life. I live in an area of high humidity and temps that vary greatly. I've had ammo go bad just keeping it in the truck. May not be necessary to change it out every trip to the range, but it is for my piece of mind. I've CC'd for as long as they have allowed it, 20yrs?? and haven't shot anybody yet, so yes, I have wasted a lot of ammo. but you never know.

I was wondering how often or if ever you change out your EDC ammo? I am a " worst case scenario " type and change mine every year. I know this is probably overkill, but I shoot up what I have for practise.
How long is to long to risk issues? Thanks
Your yearly replacement plan seems prudent to me. Made me think about the last time I replaced my EDC ammo and it has been many years. I usually only change it when I'm moving on to something new (say, going from the XTP bullet to the FTX bullet.) Then I shoot a box of the 'new' stuff through the gun to be sure it's going to function fine, clean the gun, load up with the new ammo, and then that sits in the gun for as long as I decide I like that ammo/bullet choice.

But if a person likes a 'well-lubed' gun, oil is a danger to ammo longevity (primer/powder contamination?) and perhaps @Orange Dust has the best policy under those circumstances ("...change it out every trip to the range.")

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.