EC Tuner Brake

nksmfamjp

Anybody shoot this thing? How is the recoil reduction? Especially compared to the MBM or APA Brakes?

I have to pick mine up from the gun smith. I had an ATS tapered tuner put on a .338 Lapua in front of a MBM Super Beast 5 port brake

I believe Erik's EC tuner brake may work fine on calibers below .300 but for magnums above .300 I think you can get more brake for your money going w integration of the tuner and either an MBM or Terminator.

I wanted to use the EC Tuner originally w my MBM super beast but since my barrel is fluted, the gun smith said there would not be room for it as he did not want to be threading into the fluting area.

So, a tapered ATS would fit. Thats what I got. I'll post my results someday when I get it back and go shoot it and tune it.

I wish Erik would partner with MBM to make a tuner brake that is exceptional as a system even on the large magnums. But if you have a rifle less than .30 cal and its not a magnum, I'd say the tuner brake could be sufficient as is.

I have to pick mine up from the gun smith. I had an ATS tapered tuner put on a .338 Lapua in front of a MBM Super Beast 5 port brake

I believe Erik's EC tuner brake may work fine on calibers below .300 but for magnums above .300 I think you can get more brake for your money going w integration of the tuner and either an MBM or Terminator.

I wanted to use the EC Tuner originally w my MBM super beast but since my barrel is fluted, the gun smith said there would not be room for it as he did not want to be threading into the fluting area.

So, a tapered ATS would fit. Thats what I got. I'll post my results someday when I get it back and go shoot it and tune it.

I wish Erik would partner with MBM to make a tuner brake that is exceptional as a system even on the large magnums. But if you have a rifle less than .30 cal and its not a magnum, I'd say the tuner brake could be sufficient as is.
LOL! I agree and sure would love to see Nathan's version.

Also, like you I was seeking advice on muzzle brakes and a tuner.

If you go through this thread and look at all the videos, I think you will make a really informed decision.

Also, like you I was seeking advice on muzzle brakes and a tuner.

If you go through this thread and look at all the videos, I think you will make a really informed decision.

I looked. Looks like I have to choose between EC Tuner brake vs ATS Hunter + MBM….So, still confused.

You never said what rifle and caliber its for and your most intended use?

Hunting, Benchrest , both?

Maybe email Nathan at Muzzle Brakes and more. His email is
[email protected]

I personally think after watching all the videos of testing sleds on amount of recoil reduction, the 2 best brakes are MBM made here in the USA and the Terminator made in New Zealand.

I am guessing that Nathan might recomnend one of his 4 port brakes
maybe in carbon fiber because it will weigh less.

Check the product web sites and talk to a gunsmith but your muzzle has to be in the .85 to .90 inch diameter for certain tuners and muzzle brakes. So measure your muzzle dia with a micrometer on the end so you can discuss what muzzle brakes and tuners will even fit it.

If your barrel is fluted, that will also be a design detail or consideration for what may work out.

You can also talk to dealers for the EC tuner brake, and Im sure it will work, but if you want maximum recoil reduction then a custom solution may be the most optimum.
cost may also be a consideration.

Good luck to you.

Keep an eye on Ultimate Reloader. I just noticed that Gavin says that he's going to do a video on an EC tuner brake on his new build BR rifle. He'll be doing actual shooting to look at group size...

I came across Nathan - MBM on YT doin his Beast Brakes on a recoil sled test against many other top name brand brakes. After a few videio, I contacted Nathan. I got a Titanium 5 port Beast Brake for my .45 muzzleloader that I'm shooting a .453 sized 275gr bullet @2600fps ( my gun W/scope weighs 11+ lbs & I can now shoot that at under moa all day long now. The Beast Brake works fantastically & Nathan is a great guy. I've not bought my last MBM brake.

I love mine!!!
Put it on my PRC. I'm stuck shooting factory Hornady this year so I wanted to make sure it'd shoot dimes.
I started off at 0 and kepted working it. At 2 it opened up then at 3.5 it's friggin awesome!!!
Not sure how the gun recoiled before hand/without it. It still jumps but it's soft. Blast is definitely there but nothing like my vias. And I don't shoot anything anymore without plugs.

I'm working on tuning my .338 Lapua right now. I had a tapered ATS tuner put on with MBM's
5 port super beast. It is like shooting a .223 now. I have shot just a few rounds but got to load say 20 to 40 rounds to tune through all the turns. It had a stock Savage 3 port brake and I bet the new brake has reduced my recoil 50% more than the old 3 port.

Here's a picture of the install.

Got to get out to the range to find out how the tuner works next.

Sounds like you found the node in 2 or 3 turn settings.

Attachments

• 20210917_144915.jpg
    20210917_144915.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 59
EC tuner and tuner brake is the one I chose to install for the next project.
@BFD Guns didn't want to hijack the tread you mentioned this in.

Finally shot my EC Tuner Brake yesterday - 6.5mm model on a 6.5CM. At this point all I can say with any level of certainty is that it does change the shape of groups.

The fact that the groups were all significantly larger than when a 12oz suppressor was hanging off the end of the barrel not withstanding..... I liked it. I put 2# of scuba weights in the stock at the same time I added it so not sure if the weight or brake or combination made the difference in recoil, but there is essentially none left at this point.

I have enough rounds left over in this batch after running the EC tuner/brake through all ten settings to try the ATS tuner behind the suppressor next. It weights 6oz and will be held in place by the can, so I don't know what I'm expecting there.

This rifle is my Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range, it always had an annoying feel to the recoil. Can't describe it well other than that it felt "hollow" and like the stock was flexing behind the grip on every shot. The weight I used was lead shot in a nylon pouch, I packed it up in front of the cheek riser, and whatever was making the hollow "twooong" sound/feel on each shot is now gone.

I have a video of the brake while shooting, and the blast pattern is a very nice ~30* angle towards the shooter with a smaller amount going forward, so recoil-wise I bet the brake is effective. Shot-spotting wise it was easier to stay on target. I noticed I was ending up off to the right when I got back in the scope and sure enough I was offset to the left behind the gun, so I'll say it might have amplified by poor body position - not a negative at all, my fault and it made it pretty easy to see that.

Last edited:
@BFD Guns didn't want to hijack the tread you mentioned this in.

Finally shot my EC Tuner Brake yesterday - 6.5mm model on a 6.5CM. At this point all I can say with any level of certainty is that it does change the shape of groups.

The fact that the groups were all significantly larger than when a 12oz suppressor was hanging off the end of the barrel not withstanding..... I liked it. I put 2# of scuba weights in the stock at the same time I added it so not sure if the weight or brake or combination made the difference in recoil, but there is essentially none left at this point.

I have enough rounds left over in this batch after running the EC tuner/brake through all ten settings to try the ATS tuner behind the suppressor next. It weights 6oz and will be held in place by the can, so I don't know what I'm expecting there.

This rifle is my Browning X-Bolt Max Long Range, it always had an annoying feel to the recoil. Can't describe it well other than that it felt "hollow" and like the stock was flexing behind the grip on every shot. The weight I used was lead shot in a nylon pouch, I packed it up in front of the cheek riser, and whatever was making the hollow "twooong" sound/feel on each shot is now gone.

I have a video of the brake while shooting, and the blast pattern is a very nice ~30* angle towards the shooter with a smaller amount going forward, so recoil-wise I bet the brake is effective. Shot-spotting wise it was easier to stay on target. I noticed I was ending up off to the right when I got back in the scope and sure enough I was offset to the left behind the gun, so I'll say it might have amplified by poor body position - not a negative at all, my fault and it made it pretty easy to see that.
Really excited to hear your results regarding group tuning.