Eberlestock X2 Athletic Tape Trick for Squeaking - Specifics?

Agar426

I ended purchasing the X2 pack with optional scabbard for my Barbary hunt, and any future hunts of course. Question - in my research, many people recommended wrapping the frame in athletic tape to minimize the squeaking.

1) Where do I apply the tape?
2) Do I need to cover the entire frame, or is the squeaking isolated to a certain spot?
3) The bottom of the frame is covered in a plastic sheathing...do I cover this up with tape as well?

Thank you!

With the bag on I marked the frame of my X2 with a magic marker at each end of the fabric on the top corners and in the middle of each vertical tube and bottom corners where the 1" cross straps touch the frame.. After removing the bag I taped the areas where the fabric or straps touch the frame. It is a minor amount of effort to stop the squeaks. Mine has seen a lot of hard miles since taping and it still doesn't squeak.

In a valiant attempt to derail your thread, how do you like the x2 with the scabbard. I have heard wonderful things about the x2 but nothing about the scabbard? Until seeing the X2, I had planned to go with the X3. Any info is appreciated.

In a valiant attempt to derail your thread, how do you like the x2 with the scabbard. I have heard wonderful things about the x2 but nothing about the scabbard? Until seeing the X2, I had planned to go with the X3. Any info is appreciated.

So far so good....haven't put any miles on it yet, just around the yard testing it out. The rifle is a tight fit, which is good so it doesn't rattle around as I hike. Have tested it with about 25lbs, well.....including the rifle about 33-35 lbs. That helped....was able to work the adjustments. Still working that, but it will be fine for this weekend. Hopefully I get to really test it out!

Any tricks to getting it back together? Once I taped the frame, it was nearly impossible to get back in the bag. I felt I was gonna tear the bag. I bailed..

Any tricks to getting it back together? Once I taped the frame, it was nearly impossible to get back in the bag. I felt I was gonna tear the bag. I bailed..

The pack needs to be completely "relaxed". ie. Unbuckle everything and empty all pockets and compartments. Then ,with the frame oriented with the arch toward the bag, slide it under the harness and insert the top corners into the top pockets/straps. Next with some stretching insert the bottom corners in the appropriate corner straps and cinch the cross straps tight. The tight fit is necessary to keep the pack and load from shifting. Keep at it. It will go back from whence it came.
I had the same problem and finally decided to use enough pressure to get the frame back in place.
If you are concerned about tearing the corners call customer service at Eberlestock. They will have some suggestions I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.