Eberlestock team elk pack for a heavy load?

palerider3

Has anyone used this pack with a heavy load, 100 lbs or more? I am looking at this pack for a 3 or 4 day Idaho mule deer hunt and maybe for archery elk as well. It would need to be able to haul my gear and a boned out buck for 5+ miles. Also how long of a rifle will it hold? If it would hold a rifle with a 24" barrel and 6" of suppressor that would be a plus. Thanks guys.

It's too small of a pack for a heavy load and doesn't have a good frame.

If you want to go with Eberlestock I'd suggest looking at the F-1 Mainframe Transformer and combine it with the TransformerPack.

With 100lbs plus if you are carrying it more than a mile you really want a good, stout, external frame to hang it on.

I carried out a couple of 100lbs plus loads with my G3 Operator and it was not a pleasant experience at all.

The F-1 mainframe is essentially the same frame that is in the Team elk pack.

I've been hunting with a team elk pack for the last 2 years and here's my take.

It is not large enough to carry camp and meat.

It is sturgy enough to carry heavy loads. Both years I have carried 90 lbs in it consisting of meat and gear.

I use this pack as my day pack so that once I have an animal down I can pack out a first load. But when I go back for the rest I take a dedicated meat hauler.

That was what I was thinking. I have a good pack frame but I leave it in the truck when hunting. What length and weight rifles are you guys carrying?

Hoyt Charger or T/C ThunderHawk .50. I only use the bow holder if I am in steep terrain and need two hands climbing. I like the water carrier since it seems like I am always drinking at 8500ft during Sept. or early Oct.

I have the Eberlestock J34 or Just One pack and it is great. my heaviest would be about 80 lbs with gun, spotting scope and a bear I packed out last year. You can add the gear duffle zip in to make is a super big pack to carry meat and a camp. I'm not sure of 100 pounds though, but I love this pack and it has a great gun holder. I use it bow hunting and riffle hunting in the spring/fall. My wife came through big time a couple Christmas' ago with this pack.

I had one and sold it. I think you would be pushing it a 100 lbs. The gun holder is sufficient, but I found it too small if you want to carry a rifle barrel up. Also, look at the weight of the pack empty...heavy.

I too have a Eberlestock J34 which I really like for its versatility. For me, 70 to 80 lbs is about the max that I can carry comfortably in the pack. The load lifters are only marginally functional at this weight. But, at my age (63), that is the max I can carry anyway. What I do like about the pack is it is extremely easy to adjust and it makes a nice day pack albeit just a bit heavy.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.