Eberlestock J34 pack: can you zip the Spike Camp Duffel in the bag with the opening facing out?

Macchina

I have an Eberlestock "Just One Pack" on the way and found a great deal on a few accessories (Spike Camp Duffel, Rifle Butt Cover, and Rain Cover) so I've been reading up on how they work.

I know one concept to the duffel is to:
-Pack in your camp in the duffel and place the duffel INSIDE the mesh portion of the pack.
-Shoot an animal.
-Put your camp back in the duffel, put the animal in the mesh portion, then zip the duffel to the OUTSIDE of the mesh with the duffel opening facing the mesh.

My Question: When the mesh area is empty, can you zip the duffel in backward as what is described above so the duffel opening is facing outward of the pack and the body of the duffel is pushing into the mesh portion of the backpack? In this way I could use the duffel and access it while using the pack while keeping the bags depth to a minimum.

Does this make sense?

Eberlestock Spike Camp Duffel:
a20791512f0f40534e14bc_m__59358.1405373488.1280.1280.jpg

Re: Eberlestock J34 pack: can you zip the Spike Camp Duffel in the bag with the opening facing

Can't answer about the J34. Have always had a tactical pack. Why don't you call Eberlestock? They have always been very friendly and answered my questions. Wish I had a pack like yours but where I hunt don't really need it. Nice pack but call Eberlestock, sure they can answer your questions.

Re: Eberlestock J34 pack: can you zip the Spike Camp Duffel in the bag with the opening facing

You can not do what you asked Macchina. That would make sense though...

If I'm understanding your question, I'd agree with Andy, it won't work. However, you can secure the duffle under the top lid and pockets/mesh section securing it with the two straps. But, this will depend upon how full the duffle is stuffed. I've done this several times. I've also put a full duffle inside an empty bag which makes it easier to carry.

As I'm sure you know, the whole idea about the use of the Spike Camp duffle is that you leave it at camp until you pack out. Doing so make the J34 a very useable day pack. I think you are going to enjoy your J34 as it is really versatile. The max load I can comfortably carry with mine is somewhere between 70 to 80 pounds due to the load lifters but, even minor torso adjustments on this pack makes a world of difference in comfort. Enjoy your J34. I have relied on mine for the past 3 years hunting elk in CO.

You are going to wonder why you didn't buy that pack sooner...I have the Dragonfly and Eberlestock packs are amazing. Regarding your question, no you cannot zip the duffel backwards.

Above answers are correct. You cannot zip it in that way. For what it is worth, when you have an animal inside the mesh, and zip on the super spike duffle, you will need the extensions to the compression straps and even the main vertical strap in order to button it all up. I have had way too much weight on my J34 (and it performed wonderfully), but when loaded up, the straps that it comes with won't come anywhere close to reaching each other.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.