Eberlestock gunrunner?

emmagator

Does anyone have this pack and use it for hunting? Im looking at this pack to use as a light daypack that can still carry rifle. Also is looks like a buttbucket could be attached to carry a bow also. Anyone have experience with this pack?

Yup. I have one and it works great. My only complaint was that the hip belt was not big enough so I sewed a larger belt on it. Basically it was just sewing the belt that was on it onto a larger eberlestock waist belt. And it actually holds quite a bit of stuff--way enough for a day hunt. It's not gonna pack anything out but thats why I have horses..........:)

Randy

Yup. I have one and it works great. My only complaint was that the hip belt was not big enough so I sewed a larger belt on it. Basically it was just sewing the belt that was on it onto a larger eberlestock waist belt. And it actually holds quite a bit of stuff--way enough for a day hunt. It's not gonna pack anything out but thats why I have horses..........:)

Randy

I don't know if you bowhunt, but in your opinion could a bow be strapped externally in this pack with the use of eberle's buttbucket attached to the lower molle straps on pack?

Well, I do bowhunt but with a longbow. And yes, you could strap one of those "machines" in a buttbucket---it would work fine. I have a friend who hunts with a compound and he uses that setup. The buttbucket is pretty versatile---I think you can strap it onto about anything.

Randy

Well, I do bowhunt but with a longbow. And yes, you could strap one of those "machines" in a buttbucket---it would work fine. I have a friend who hunts with a compound and he uses that setup. The buttbucket is pretty versatile---I think you can strap it onto about anything.

Randy

Cool, thanks for reply. One more question, will it pack a full size spotter and tripod, with spare room? Sorry can't get my hands on one locally, so I'm trying find as much info as possibly via net. Thanks.

I've got one and really like it. I bough it here at the long range store. Don't know if he still does, but Len used to offer a free accessory pocket with purchase. I got two big pockets that strap to the sides of the pack. When marmot hunting I carry lunch, a Camelbak, rain suit and fleece jacket, all my shooting tools, tripod and spotting scope, and my 13.5 lb rifle. Carry's great.

Cool, thanks for reply. One more question, will it pack a full size spotter and tripod, with spare room? Sorry can't get my hands on one locally, so I'm trying find as much info as possibly via net. Thanks.

Yup---I carred a full size Zeiss and outdoorsman's medium in it. I also used my last year in the Vortex challenge on Utah and it worked great while "running"..........

Randy

I ran into the same problem with the belt and ordered the larger belt to replace the original. The only problem with the larger belt is, that they only come in a light tan color, no other colors? I got two of them to test dying them and got it right on the first try. So I have a brand new large belt that I dont need. If anyone needs one you can PM me.

Interestingly, Dvor (optics planet outlet site) had G2 Gunrunners on sale at one time but I haven't seen them on there again.... and a poster on here got me there and I bought one.

I like it just fine. The only difference I can see between the G1 and the G2 is the G2 has double straps for the top cover and some additional pockets inside and the inside compartment is accessable from the front and top.

If you aren't toting a rifle, the bottom rolls up and tucks inside the pack and straps so the tailpiece (that sticks down) isn't sticking down.

I can easly fit my 338 with magazine attached and scope inside the pouch, the issue is that the barrel (or butt) sticks up quite a ways, not good for woods work but my shorter barreled 308 rides just fine. Mine also came with a top cover for the rifle compartment but I leave that at home and use the elastic raincober.

The G2 has sleeves on both sides of the inner compartment for hydration bottles and slits on each side for the hoses. I just carry bottled water in them.

I think the full capacity is around 2200 cubic inches.

For me, it's ideal. I can cinch it down and make it compact for just carrying my rifle and some snaks for a day trip or I can load it up for a longer trip.

I recommend the raincover, the one thats reversible (orange/camo) for states that require hunter orange.

Len has them in his Long Range store on this site btw..... Hope that helps.

Its made offshore BTW. All the stuff (Eberlestock) is.....:)

I like mine for a shooting/range pack, but stopped hunting elk with it. It carries fine with a rifle, but once you take the rifle out it gets sloppy. It also gets ungainly with a 5x5 elk head strapped on (carried it, but not gracefully). I couldn't strap quarters on either. It also has an annoying habit of collecting snow in my rifle's action/trigger/bolt. The last is easily fixable with a cover, but limits your quick draw ability. All in all, great for deer & speedies (likely coyotes too), but not up for the abuse of elk. I really do like it more than this post makes it seem...

That, it do.... (get sloppy) not a lot but a bit. I just cinch it down tighter but then it entails removing the pack. The II has double straps which IMO are a PITA. Too long and difficult to deal with.

I bought the pack for the rifle carrying ability. I don't care for the outboard carrying that most pack systems offer.

My one difficulty is carrying a long barreled rifle in the woods, it sticks up quite far and makes for some interesting encounters with low branches. My physical height (6-2) adds to the issue I guess. If I was short it wouldn't be an issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.