Eberlestock Gunrunner - a Question

Mike027

I will be taking along my Remington Sendero when I hunt Idaho in a October and Im looking for a good way to lug it up the hill each morning. I typically just hunt with a day pack and come back with a pack frame the next day if successful.

The Eberlestock Gunrunner looks like it may fill the bill. I have never seen one so I'm not sure of the exact size.

Can anyone tell me if it can fit a Sendero with bipod?

Are there any other day pack w/scabbard combos I should consider? I'm hoping to keep the costs low as Im saving for the trip. I can keep my eyes open for something in the classified section.

Thanks all. Mike

Well, it fits my Savage 11 LRH 338 Lapua (but the **** rifle sticks up too far to negotiate Michigan pine trees very wel)l so I usually have my 11 lightweight 308 hunter in the scabbard, the barrel is more manageable.

I like mine just fine. I put in a hydration system (feeds out through the shoulder straps). Carry my shooting glasses and some granola bars and camera and I'm set for a day hike. You can cinch it down to a small area without cramping the scabbard at all. Has all sorts of pockets inside and it's quality made, maybe not Kuiu quality but good enough for the price.

Won a complete Kuiu gear package a while back including an Icon pack which Jason thoughtfully allowed me to trade for a Kuiu mummy bag (and some cash). Don't need an Icon for what I do, the Eberlstock is just fine.....

That just leaves you with camo choice....

better aff, my 338 always has a Harris 2 axis bipod on the front..... forgot that,

I have one that I've never used, I find it cumbersome. I just pull on the rain cover and call it good.

Kind of reminds me of a Kuiu Guide Beanie with too many straps.....lol

Wyodog did you also get the scabbard butt cover for the stock? Mike

No just the pack. I have have also used the rifle scabbard to carry my spotting scope when I'm not using a rifle by folding the bottom of the scabbard into the pack.

I finally remembered where I bought mine (a couple years ago). I bought mine right on this site from Len. At ther time, the butt cover came with the pack plus I got the rain cover and a ditty bag that attaches to the waist belt.

Anyone need a butt cover, let me know. I'd part with it for a couple bucks plus shipping. It's in realtree camo btw, never used.

Well I talked to my hunting partner last night (he lives in Idaho) and it sounds like the plan for this year is to camp out for the first couple days when I arrive. This means I will need a pack that has a bit more room to carry additional gear. Maybe I need to look at the "Just One" pack although I noticed that it has a mesh front to allow for air flow to cool off meat. I'm not certain if the mesh is strong enough for carrying gear as I have never seen one. Mike

Your first choice expands way out if necessary, I'd go look at their website for the cubic inch interior dimensions. Far as mear goes, get yourself a couple meat bags and strap the bags on the pack, if necessary.

One issue arises with the bigger packs and that is they don't really work as a day pack, becauer they don't compress fown as compactly.

Mike,

The Just One would be a good fit for what you're describing. It expands big enough to handle your multi-day camp plus it compresses small for day-pack mode.

I've found that the mesh panel holds up fine to carry my camping gear. You end up wrapping the multiple horizontal and vertical compression straps around the back of the mesh panel which gives a lot of support. There is an accessory zip-in solid panel to cover the mesh if you want.

Andy I think that is the direction I'm headed. It sounds like a good pack. I watched a couple of review videos on YouTube.

Including the muzzle brake the barrel is 27 1/2 inches long. Is the scabbard long enough to handle that?

Mike

The gunrunner is a terrible pack. Its to narrow so it flops around on your back. The gunsligger 1 or 2 are much better options as is the low drag. The just one and slightly more ridgid dragonfly are great as well and either of those would be my choice if planning on taking out the animal with the pack. I have gunrunner in pretty goodshape Id sell you for 50$ if you still wanted one

Thanks for the offer Pyro. After reading the good comments about the J34 I went ahead and ordered one a couple of nights ago. The brown truck is supposed to be here on Wednesday. Thanks everyone for the help on this. Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.