Eating Coyote

geo4061

I read some where about a year ago some one was wondering how a coyote would taste. Well I was always taught you eat what you shoot. So the challenge and bucket list item was on. A few days ago I shot a young female in great shape. The perfect coyote for the test. I cut out one side of the back strap. I then cleaned all the silver and connective tissue I could and cut it in small pieces. Marinaded it in butter, salt, and, pepper. Then cooked it rare in a hot iron skillet. Amazed that the flavor was very good. However, it was like eating very very tough, jerky. PS- One piece was enough. My dog would not even eat the rest.

I read some where about a year ago some one was wondering how a coyote would taste. Well I was always taught you eat what you shoot. So the challenge and bucket list item was on. A few days ago I shot a young female in great shape. The perfect coyote for the test. I cut out one side of the back strap. I then cleaned all the silver and connective tissue I could and cut it in small pieces. Marinaded it in butter, salt, and, pepper. Then cooked it rare in a hot iron skillet. Amazed that the flavor was very good. However, it was like eating very very tough, jerky. PS- One piece was enough. My dog would not even eat the rest.

Generally, I'm one of those gotta try it for myself types, but I think this is one time I'll just take your word for it. ;)

you used the wrong recipe for dog.

chinese-takeout-box.jpg

Well Boys, Y'all are just tougher than I am (Or hungrier). In a survival situation I was taught to eat almost anything, but only if I had to.

I got some chilly in Mexico that i suspected was made with dog meat
and it had a blue tint and was tough, just as you described and one bite later, I was through.!!!!.

I love most wild game, but you can take cat and dog off my bucket list.:)

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Over deer season I was told the same thing...

I slowly backed out of the room.

So funny, a friend killed a mountain lion during a javelina hunt. It froze almost immediately and the taxidermist asked what we wanted to do with the meat. We were well taken aback to know they were being eaten. We pit BBQed it. Was the favorite of the 50+ people there. The over-the-counter tags are $15 here in Az.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.