Eating Aoudad

Aoudad burgers this evening. They were fantastic! As with other wild game burgers I did not add fat other than a little olive oil and I drained the meat in the fridge overnight. I find that dry meat with no blood in it stays together very well with no fat added. I grilled them to medium or maybe medium well.
FE8D8556-0896-460F-B66F-257D873D4A23.jpeg

A80590EE-467B-4360-BCD7-BDCCEF9C874B.jpeg

Ok been trying to drop some pounds. (Lost about 8lbs this month) diet is high and I mean high protein, medium carbs and very low fat. So darn that mean lots of game meat and vegetables.

Today's lunch today was some Aoudad backstrap and sweet potatoes. Took the Aoudad and cut 1/2" thick steaks then pounded them out to about 1/4" and seated in a cast iron skillet with a little steak seasoning. Tender and delicious.
3CE1C62A-A0A6-4DC9-88E1-FD6B040A2A24.jpeg

Speaking of OJ I do venison fajitas with 1/4 C OJ and white vinegar, 2T season salt, 2t cumin, pinch of cayan, pinch of black pepper, garlic, 1T lime juice, fresh chopped calentro.

I am not surprised the OJ worked well in your Aoudad recipe.

Speaking of OJ I do venison fajitas with 1/4 C OJ and white vinegar, 2T season salt, 2t cumin, pinch of cayan, pinch of black pepper, garlic, 1T lime juice, fresh chopped calentro.

I am not surprised the OJ worked well in your Aoudad recipe.
Sounds good.!

Ok. Not healthy but everyone in the family needed some comfort food on a cold cloudy day after a little family hike to look for bighorns.

Aoudad chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and broccoli. The broccoli was only there to pretend like we tried to be healthy. Cubed the steaks and hit them a few times with the meat mallet to get them the right thickness.
65014E9A-AA83-4827-B07B-DDF008C9F802.jpeg

5CF0DFE1-2305-41BA-9127-89A7F54CFE7C.jpeg

855CC6C8-4BBB-4788-A39A-7BAA3F088930.jpeg

Ok, I'm up against this same problem. I normally eat anything I kill. I'm doing Aoudad in 2021, and my West Texas guide is against taking the meat. Doesn't even work with a local butcher. I'm flying in, so I have no way of dealing with this, or butchering myself. I do want to butcher the entire animal, even if I have to grind the tough cuts. Any suggestions ?

Ok, I'm up against this same problem. I normally eat anything I kill. I'm doing Aoudad in 2021, and my West Texas guide is against taking the meat. Doesn't even work with a local butcher. I'm flying in, so I have no way of dealing with this, or butchering myself. I do want to butcher the entire animal, even if I have to grind the tough cuts. Any suggestions ?

I'm thinking that guide has someone came later that gets all the meat for him LOL.

There are several videos on youtube on how to quarter and butcher an animal, now if you are paying for that hunt you have the right to keep the meat so, study and learn and be ready for it.

Tough cuts dont always have to go throught the grinder, nothing wrong with burgers and sausage, I love thwm too, but they can be cooked like roasts overnight on a slow cooker, they come out tender and delicious.

Hope this helps and stay safe

Like Bear Grylls says, you can eat anything with 4 legs, some just taste better than others ;)
Comes down to their environment & what they eat.

But for me it comes down to age of the animal, the older the animal the more gamier the flavor, you either like it or you dont.

I'd try it for sure, it looks great.

Personally I like to add pork fat when mincing to keep the meat moist but each to their own.

If I am making a stew & its quite gamy & will blanch the diced meat in salted water to get the meat to release the blood, this reduces the gaminess in the meat.

So our guide said the same thing. Something about how he'd rather eat a piece of cardboard and that a 5 star chef that hunted with them couldn't make them edible. Here's my opinion FWIW. I personally thought the flavor was excellent. Was it tough? Yes. But what 12 year old animal isn't? Anyways I would start calling around to and see if there are any local butchers that can take care of it for you then ship it or at the very least Debone the meat then get it in a freezer before putting it in a cooler to fly fly home as checked baggage. I would like to hunt another aoudad and I would not leave the meat behind. Mine has made fantastic hamburgers, tacos and chili, I did the Shanks in the instant pot for delicious and tender roasts, and after making cube steaks I chicken fried them which was great, and it made great jerky as well. My point is that while it's not a critter I would make lots of steaks with there are lots of different ways to cook them that are great eating.

AOUDADEATER, er...I mean @Elkeater thank you for this thread. I appreciate the open mindedness and willingness to experiment, not to mention the spirit of not wasting meat. I'm following your culinary adventure with great interest!

I had the good fortune of going Tuna fishing in the Florida keys with some experienced salt water fishermen. I caught a nurse shark and they said throw it back—can't eat it. Well I refused. And we had a mighty tasty meal that night of nurse shark steaks that were delicious! And I made converts of those salty fishermen.
I was born in Florida and I've caught a bunch of nurse sharks but never thought about eating them now I'm wondering what I missed