Eating Aoudad

It really disturbs me when people go on about "oh that's not fit to eat it taste like blah blah blah". Good for you elkeater bringing that wonderful animal out to eat . Looks good and I'm sure it tastes great. Keep it up

It really disturbs me when people go on about "oh that's not fit to eat it taste like blah blah blah". Good for you elkeater bringing that wonderful animal out to eat . Looks good and I'm sure it tastes great. Keep it up
Ya the only animal I have ever shot that I didn,t eat was a coastal brown. They eat carrion in the spring and I don,t think I need to explain further. ;)

I'm not sure. it's worth a try. My only concern would be that the canning process may destroy the enzymes you need for this to work.
I thought of that too.Thanks for telling me how to do it. A rutty whitetail or mule deer needs a little help sometimes. I love my homemade polish sausage mixed deer and pork but a good steak or roast is good too.

I went on an Audad hunt in West Texas and killed a nice ram. The rancher that I was hunting with said cut the head off and leave the meat. Me being a born and raised southern guy, I thought I've eaten nutria rat and beaver that tasted good so it can't be that bad. I cut it up and hauled it out of the canyon I was in and brought it to camp. I cut the back straps up and threw them in some Tony's Chachere seasoning and some white flour and deep fried them up to a golden brown and they were very tasty.
I also ate Javelina and jackrabbit on that trip. I wrapped bacon around the javelina with a slice of cream cheese and jalapeños, sprinkled with Tony's with a side of Jambalaya and a loaf of garlic bread.

Tonight is moroccan Tajine with plums. Made with Aoudad. It's spiced with a chopped onion, salt, pepper, fresh ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander and a bundle of parsley.

I'll be serving it with a plum sauce and spiced rice in an hour and a half. I'll let you all know how it goes.
image.jpg

AOUDADEATER, er...I mean @Elkeater thank you for this thread. I appreciate the open mindedness and willingness to experiment, not to mention the spirit of not wasting meat. I'm following your culinary adventure with great interest!

I had the good fortune of going Tuna fishing in the Florida keys with some experienced salt water fishermen. I caught a nurse shark and they said throw it back—can't eat it. Well I refused. And we had a mighty tasty meal that night of nurse shark steaks that were delicious! And I made converts of those salty fishermen.

When i marinade any meat with olive oil and garlic I always add a little balsamic or red wine vinegar also, it gives it great flavor but the acid in the vinegar helps tenderize the meat, the olive oil does nothing but flavor and act as a browning agent while cooking. By the way it looks great to me! Good job.

Tajine Tasted good bit I should of pressure cooked it. The meat wasn't tough but it wasn't as tender as a wanted it. It did taste pretty delicious with the spiced plum sauce and my kids at nothing but the meat at dinner.

This is definitely a learning process when it comes to cooking Aoudad.

Tonight is moroccan Tajine with plums. Made with Aoudad. It's spiced with a chopped onion, salt, pepper, fresh ginger, cinnamon, turmeric, coriander and a bundle of parsley.

I'll be serving it with a plum sauce and spiced rice in an hour and a half. I'll let you all know how it goes.View attachment 178269

That looks so good. Again thanks for sharing.