Easy way to setup a magnetospeed off a barrel

I have the Sporter model and I only get it to work about 1/3 of the time. It is always a placement issue. But many times it is hard to solve. Modern shooting has a lot of barrel devices, muzzle breaks, flash hiders ect... I can always get it to work with a clean barrel but when is the last time any of us has shot a clean barrel?
My recent attempt was with a Palma contour barrel and a 419 break. No go. We just could not get the correct alignment.

The OP solution separates the alignment from the barrel but would make barrel placement over the sensor very critical. You would have to be very careful to not shoot the sensor. I am going to build my own shim kit. Sometimes you need to straddle a muzzle device and the barrel. So you might need less thickness in front of the mount and more in the back. So having some one inch square rubber shims would be nice.
I have the Sporter and use it on skinny barrels to Sendero contour and have never had a missed to record shot. You may need to contact Magnetospeed and discuss your issue. Good luck.

An added bonus to these home and aftermarket solutions is they eliminate one of the key limiting factors of the Sporter—barrel or suppressor diameter.

These off-barrel mounts enable the Sporter to be used for any barrel as well as suppressed ones.

Thank you mudmarine, I'll get right on that, and when I'm finished, I'll be left with a sporterized mannlicher stocked rifle. On the bright side, Magnetospeed will then work from the barrel.😁

OP's homemade solution is very cool.

If you have or can add a picatinny rail to your stock, Wiser Precision makes a carbon fiber mounting rod for the MS, with a QD pic mount. This keeps the MS off the barrel and you can shoot for both groups and velocity at the same time.

It has made it so convenient to collect data that I have velocity data on every one of the last 1200 rounds I have shot from a bench across 5 rifles.
6134513D-10E5-4D39-A9B7-1E3CA69C4BEE.jpeg

Made a fourth version yesterday. Bar will be clamped on the end of the bench. Used an old tripod head. Aluminum bar has a snug hole in it. The two knurled nuts allow for vertical adjustment. I think a tiny ball head would work better but this is what I had laying around the shop.

I need to get to the range next week and try out the four versions.

If the mannlicher does not have sights could you mount the Magnetospeed upside down on the barrel? Maybe you could get it aligned within Magnetospeed required specs?

I am not sure if upside down is allowed with Magnetospeed. Anybody know?

Would any of these accessories work on a mannlicher stocked rifle? I know, I know, someone always has to be difficult.
@AZShooter 's bench-mounted solution looks like it would be perfect for those without pic rails or not wanting to modify their existing stocks. Looking forward to hearing how the tests go!

I just got the go ahead from my eye surgeon. Cataract surgery. Shooting eye is once again 20/20!

Tried the aluminum bar setup. While it was easy enough to adjust, I found it tedious to have to relocate the front rest and rear bag to keep it aligned with magneto speed and target after each shot.

Going to try the movable aluminum box, as shown earlier in the post, which sits on the bench. Perhaps moving the magnetospeed to have it aligned will be easier.

I also use the Wiser Precision rod for my V3. The Wiser attaches to both a Pic and ARCA rail if you buy their adapter. If the rifle stock only has a sling stud, I use a Pic adapter that attaches to the sling stud like some bipods do. The Wiser then attaches to the Pic/stud adapter. I find the Wiser Precision very easy and convenient to use and with an adapter fits all my various rifle stocks.