Easy way to setup a magnetospeed off a barrel

AZShooter

It is so easy I am amazed I didn't think of it earlier. Ever since someone figured out a bench holder I wanted to make one myself.

Funny how things work out. The end result shown in pictures, required opening up two existing holes and a short bolt and nut. That is all that is necessary to make the magneto speed fit a tripod!

I decided to mount the bayonet with hardware through the hole in the side where the strap tensioner bolt and nut go. Drilled it out to 1/4 inch.

Messed around with a heavy metal base for the bench first. Drilled and tapped for threaded adjustable vertical shaft with upper end tapped for the 1/4-20 bolt. Added a longer 1/4-20 bolt through an extension on base for fore and aft movement like we do with our front rifle rests.

Here is proto type with the use of a base I had made for another purpose. Any chunk of metal would work. At this point I left the strap in place till I knew it would work. Sort of a messy photo

Got it to work then the lightning bolt hit me!!

I have a manfrotto swivel head with multiple quick release adapters. I took the "guts" out of the adapter plate. Put a 1/4-20 bolt through plate and it fit perfectly on tripod! Magneto speed bayonet was a bit offset. Decided to drill out one of the existing holes that are offset on plate. The pictures below show the results. Thinking the tripod can be used in front of the bench at the range and will be very easy to adjust.

Opening up two existing holes and a short bolt and nut is all that is necessary to make the magneto speed fit a tripod!

Do you strap your rifle into a clamp or fixture like a sled?

Just be mindful that changes in distance from the muzzle (vertically and horizontally) can result in errors or incorrect data. It is best if the rifle and Magnetospeed are connected making stock mounted options the best between the barrel and bench choices. If shooting of fa bench is the primary use then a Labradar is a much better option.

Don't strap rifle down, Thanks for suggestion. I am aware of rifle movement and consistency of magnetospeed placement. Intend to carefully align things before next shot. Just want to be able to shoot for group size AND velocity. With it hanging off the barrel it often affects accuracy.

I have never noticed any differences in group sizes when developing loads with the Magnetospeed unit attached to my suppressor's on the end of my barrels. The POI is usually about 1" - 1.5" different than shooting without the bayonet attached,but my groups stay the same. That's using it on everything from a 223 to 300 WM.
I've been using a Magnetospeed since they came out with the V1 and have had the V3 since it came out.

OP's homemade solution is very cool.

If you have or can add a picatinny rail to your stock, Wiser Precision makes a carbon fiber mounting rod for the MS, with a QD pic mount. This keeps the MS off the barrel and you can shoot for both groups and velocity at the same time.

It has made it so convenient to collect data that I have velocity data on every one of the last 1200 rounds I have shot from a bench across 5 rifles.

Last edited:
I designed and am producing another variant. The down side is that it has to mount to an ARCA, or PIC. Comes in two different lengths.
Works great for me. Wanted to share.

Attachments

• Ultimate V3 mount pdf.pdf
    478.5 KB · Views: 563
I am still at it. Not much else to do so I keep trying setups. Thinking of one more. Then will take all to range and see which will work best.

Used some offset clamps from some of my magnetic base dial indicators to make this setup that is attached to the front rest.

Last clamp has a small bolt that goes through the magneto speed hole.

Concepts....good tries....
What about a ski pole for a rod to attach the bayonet....some already have slight bends in them...and should be plenty long enough to get back to the rifle or the front rest...and should be strong enough to support lots of horizontal weight.....

i don't have a MS or a ski pole.....just ideas to help...

I have the Sporter model and I only get it to work about 1/3 of the time. It is always a placement issue. But many times it is hard to solve. Modern shooting has a lot of barrel devices, muzzle breaks, flash hiders ect... I can always get it to work with a clean barrel but when is the last time any of us has shot a clean barrel?
My recent attempt was with a Palma contour barrel and a 419 break. No go. We just could not get the correct alignment.

The OP solution separates the alignment from the barrel but would make barrel placement over the sensor very critical. You would have to be very careful to not shoot the sensor. I am going to build my own shim kit. Sometimes you need to straddle a muzzle device and the barrel. So you might need less thickness in front of the mount and more in the back. So having some one inch square rubber shims would be nice.