Easy Tick Removal - True or False?

I've been using E-Limi-Tick clothing made by Gamehide for at least 10 years. It is great and they have quite a large selection to choose from.

I've never worried about the head staying in . I don't think it causes a problem . the tick will over suck your blood and throw up . when it throws up it's stomach contents will be what makes you sick . so you want to get them out without causing them to vomit . I don't think I've had , or have , Lymes disease . I have been on the 30 day antibiotic treatment . I've also taken 2 huge antibiotic pills as treatment . doxycycline , I think it was . I try to get them out asap .when I get home from out in the woods I get a shower . usually I feel them while getting cleaned up . I had one that got sore , it felt like a festered wood splinter . the ticks seem to like warm spots on your body . behind your knees , arm pits , behind your ears , your private area front and back . I get them around my waist , under my belt . here is a pic of my tick tools . the spoon came from the veterinarian , it's called ticked off .

Attachments

• P6120896.JPG
    P6120896.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 59
I hate ticks. Never tried your method. Now an ounce of prevention....
I tape my pants, etc, and use that nasty bug repellant spray in the yellow bottle.
Tick checks are key.
I know four people who contracted lyme and weren't discovered until advanced stages. What a horrible condition.
Back when I was younger, if the tick hadn't burrowed too deeply, we would heat the tip of a blade, touch it to the jaws of the tick. It *would* let go and fall off.
This method works.
I live in the country ticks are a major problem until it gets cold I've never had limes disease I'm sure that's terrible but last year I contracted Rocky Mountain spotted fever I've never been so sick in my life I lost 36 pounds in 32 days I would not wish this on my worst enemy I read on the Internet if treatment is not started within seven days it can be fatal it was nine days before I sought treatment it wasn't until the stomach cramps fever etc. That I sought treatment I thought I was simply sick due to Working outside in the summer heat

Spray clothing, tape pant legs and generally do everything to avoid ticks. "Removal" is a last resort when everything else fails. Removing ticks can easily cause them to inject the spirochete (sp) which causes lyme disease.
I live on Long Island and we are loaded with ticks, both deer ticks & lone star ticks. Many people have had serious complications from tick borne diseases here. I bow hunted here for many years (firearms are not permitted) but eventually gave up because the consequences of contracting a disease from the ticks seemed to outweigh the time enjoyed afield.

From the CDC:
icon of a tick

Avoid folklore remedies such as "painting" the tick with nail polish or petroleum jelly, or using heat to make the tick detach from the skin. Your goal is to remove the tick as quickly as possible–do not wait for it to detach.

I heard all those things growing up too. Irritants such as heat or nail polish simply cause the tick to discharge contents into the victim, increasing likelihood of disease.

Also here is the CDC link on Lyme disease; all you need to know.
https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/index.html

On this one I disagree.

I have been hunting and collecting ticks and chiggers most all my life, and Prevention is no doubt the best way. BUT, when they get you anyway if you remove the tick wrong, you will pull it's head off and it will stay in you and fester and itch for days if you are lucky, and transmit anything it has, You now have. Any way you can get the tick to back out is best.

When the environment goes bad, he wants to get the heck out of dodge and find a better place.(The reason the preventive measures work is he is looking for the best spot and he doesn't want to bite in the first place . I wouldn't know if a tick throws up on or in you but if removed properly the irritated area around the bite goes away By the next day, if it stays red/irritated, you left something of his in the bite.

When you grab on to the tick to remove it, in order to get a grip to pull him out, you squeeze him and inject the contents, I was taught never to do this, so I encourage him to relocate and take the opportunity to end his blood sucking life.

J E CUSTOM

Lyme disease is everywhere now....personally know a guy contracted it 35 years ago....he was about 20...southwest coast of Oregon.....he had huge complications...died before he was 30.....ugly death...just keeps eating at you....
Know a lady from Canada got it....ruined her marriage...and with their socialized medicine couldn't get treatment....she had to come to the states for treatment...if it helped..who knows...

Have heard of the 'gel treatment'...anything that can create an air barrier so the tick cant breath....soap..vaseline..motor oil..babyoil.....something that disrupts the ability of the tick to breath....i wonder if submerged in water would do it.....
Heck...maybe dropping scolding hot water on your skin....might not get the tick out...but you'd be 'ticked off'....😆
Word, only in the last two years will they admit we have Lyme disease in Canada, my neighbor was sick for a year with it.
Alcohol on a swab only works if they've barely started biting, otherwise use tweezer/jack knife to make sure their head gets removed from your skin when you detach them. That's my experience anyways lol

They are bad this year! Haven't had to remove any since I started applying tea tree oil to my cuffs/collars. Seems to work alright as long as one doesn't mind smelling like a hippy :p

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.