Eastern Elk

Maybe elk from the Kentucky and Michigan herds will some day be transplanted back into Yellowstone NP and the Rocky Mountain states to re-introduce and re-populate the species that has been decimated by the re-introduction of the Wolf into Yellowstone some 26 years ago .
------------- COMPLETE THE CIRCLE -------------

DMP25-06
Nope, wolves expanding here too. No so much in the lower but a few cold winters and they will be here.

I am from Ky. I apply every year for every tag. No luck for me. My dad drew a cow tag 10-12 years ago. Killed one the second day. We saw lots of elk. His girlfriend drew a bull tag this year. She killed a bull on a guided hunt. They were on elk every day. I will probably never draw a tag but I make my donation every year.

I can't speak to the draw odds in KY, but this thread inspired me to investigate the draw statistics in MI, where I live. The numbers were depressing. Sure it's only $5, but pretty slim odds.

Projections based on data from the MI DNR website, and some reasonable assumptions about how many hunters will continue to apply each year. Assuming 100 licenses per year average.

MI elk probability.PNG

Last edited:
I can't speak to the draw odds in KY, but this thread inspired me to investigate the draw statistics in MI, where I live. The numbers were depressing. Sure it's only $5, but pretty slim odds.

Projections based on data from the MI DNR website, and some reasonable assumptions about how many hunters will continue to apply each year. Assuming 100 licenses per year average.

View attachment 185975
I live here too, thanks for the depressing news. Lol. I guess if I want an elk I'll look west.

Going to southeast Kentucky is much closer then any Rocky Mt state with elk, so I am going to start looking at that. My question is, does anyone on this site have any experience hunting elk out East. I know there are limited tags but I can get info until I am lucky!
If you draw pm me. Buddy at work has a cousin who is a guide, has 1800 acres under lease. And access to much more if a big bull shows up some where.

Kyhilljack this is Dylan. I've been trying to figure out how to get this thing to work but without going through a old post. Any ideas?

View attachment 185975

I look at my MI elk application as donation to the program and if I drew a bull tag it would be better than winning a scratch off! So 20+ years into program and still waiting for the call! Like an old bridesmaid!

Kyhilljack this is Dylan. I've been trying to figure out how to get this thing to work but without going through a old post. Any ideas?
Try going to the Website and Forum Support thread and search that or just ask the moderator what to do. I tried to start a conversation with you like I have with your dad but for some reason it won't let me do that with you. So the problem must be on your end.

Try going to the Website and Forum Support thread and search that or just ask the moderator what to do. I tried to start a conversation with you like I have with your dad but for some reason it won't let me do that with you. So the problem must be on your end.
Pretty sure it's because he has so few posts. I believe Private Messages and posting/replying to classifieds is disabled at first. I believe you can pay $25/yr to get around it or make a number of posts first.