Eastern Elk

Lahunter76

Going to southeast Kentucky is much closer then any Rocky Mt state with elk, so I am going to start looking at that. My question is, does anyone on this site have any experience hunting elk out East. I know there are limited tags but I can get info until I am lucky!

Likewise, my annual donation. Most folks who I know who have gone have acquired their tags via charity auctions. They do give them out but I've not been lucky enough to get one. The bulls that each of these individuals bagged were quite impressive, used local guides. Both were taken with bows.

I have not ruled out anything, I mean, I don't mind donating app fee to put in for the Elk in Kentucky. I am very happy they are doing well, wish other states would do more to help reintroduce them in the smokies. I would still want to hunt out west also one day! Dream!

To my earlier point, KY F&W do give out a number of tags to charitable organizations around the state to auction off. You will pay a premium (historically) but may be a wash when you figure in travel costs.

I've been donating to the MI elk application for Lonnggggg time and yes it is a donation in my eyes but maybe one day I will get lucky. We take rides to see the critters and they are as big as anything you see out west. It is nice to see what was once here and now surviving and thriving.

I'm from central KY , my father got a cow tags few years back ( successful )and all of a sudden that 300 WM ( cannon as he called it wasn't a waste of $ . I've known several ppl that have drawn and had 80-90% success .ive donated every year and still no luck but maybe one day. Historically I believe the odds have been better for out of state applicants than residents due to tag numbers / Nonresident applicants ratios. If you get lucky you have a real chance of a monster bull !
winters here are mild , very little predator , and more abundant food . It's definitely worth the $ for a ticket. Just bought my chances two days ago online.

I'm from central KY and my advice would be don't waste your money. i drew an archery bull tag 5 years or so ago and hunted on my own. saw a lot of big bulls that i wasn't able to get a shot on, finally killed a small 5x7 late in the year. With that being said, things have changed greatly. The area i hunted, elk are never seen and not there. The same goes for many many areas that elk once were. And as a note, this is not the west, they aren't migrating. They have been overhunted/poached/traded to other states. Fish and wildlife was warned for many years by biologists and others that they were taking too many animals but that money was just too hard to turn down i guess. the success rate has been reduced greatly, even with a guide. A DIY hunt, good luck is all i can tell you. As hard as it is to even find elk in the first place, you also have to deal with outfitters that have 250 acres leased laying claim to 2500. As i mentioned, even a guided hunt, success rate has gotten what i would consider quite low, maybe 60%? and most killed are raghorns. Theres a few big bulls watched and saved each year though for those with plenty of money so i guess thats an option

Also in Michigan. About an hour outside their primary ranges. Seems they are thriving. But I'm also in the TB zone. We'll see how that plays out if they grow into this zone. The TB restrictions have killed any industry dealing in beef. I've seen random sign they're spreading, a shed in Alcona, a track in Iosco. The state says the average to draw is 10 years.

Maybe elk from the Kentucky and Michigan herds will some day be transplanted back into Yellowstone NP and the Rocky Mountain states to re-introduce and re-populate the species that has been decimated by the re-introduction of the Wolf into Yellowstone some 26 years ago .
------------- COMPLETE THE CIRCLE -------------

DMP25-06

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.