East Texas Feral Hogs

chickm1

While not a long range hunt, I took my great-nephews on a feral hog hunt this past Saturday, in East Texas. They shot 5 hogs, at distances between 100 and 168 yards. All good one shot kills. I was quite proud of them. One is 16 and the other is 13.

Attachments

• hogday.jpg
    hogday.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 104
I Went to Del Rio Texas in spring 2011 and the hunting was terrible. I was disappointed with the number of hogs we saw based on people saying how many hogs there are. Have any of you had many long range hog opportunities? Most of what I have seen on tv is short range shots under feeders.

In NE tx we have about 9k acres of crop land.. Where we do get some long shots... Problem is i usually dont wait.. I just chase them with the truck...:)

I love hunting, and I love marksmanship. I shot NRA High Power, Long Range and Smallbore. Coached my county's 4H Shooting Sports Rifle team for 8 years, and saw my son win the Lousiana State Jr. High Power Rifle Championship and a number (don't know how many) of Gold Medals in the Texas State Shooting Sports Games. But, with all that, I have some issues with Long Range Hunting. Knowing about ballistics, mirage and wind drift, I know that there are way too many people that think they can accomplish this, and only end up flinging lead way off, or worse, wounding game. So, I normally don't even work to find long range opportunities past 400 yards, even for myself. I fully understand that there are many who have the skills and knowledge that enable them to take quality shots at over a 1000 yards and beyond. I also know that when hunting, you are not dealing with a static target, but rather a target that can move. When you are dealing with a long range target and a bullet flight time of 3 seconds, that animal can move, and result in a wound, even for the most skilled marksman. So, even though I have 6000 acres of leased timber company land, with a pipeline running the complete length, I just don't look for those long range opportunities that some seek. With that said, as I pointed out, there are situations that you can set up for those long range opportunities. Mostly, in East Texas, we are dealing with woods, though. Good Hunting!

I love hunting, and I love marksmanship. I shot NRA High Power, Long Range and Smallbore. Coached my county's 4H Shooting Sports Rifle team for 8 years, and saw my son win the Lousiana State Jr. High Power Rifle Championship and a number (don't know how many) of Gold Medals in the Texas State Shooting Sports Games. But, with all that, I have some issues with Long Range Hunting. Knowing about ballistics, mirage and wind drift, I know that there are way too many people that think they can accomplish this, and only end up flinging lead way off, or worse, wounding game. So, I normally don't even work to find long range opportunities past 400 yards, even for myself. I fully understand that there are many who have the skills and knowledge that enable them to take quality shots at over a 1000 yards and beyond. I also know that when hunting, you are not dealing with a static target, but rather a target that can move. When you are dealing with a long range target and a bullet flight time of 3 seconds, that animal can move, and result in a wound, even for the most skilled marksman. So, even though I have 6000 acres of leased timber company land, with a pipeline running the complete length, I just don't look for those long range opportunities that some seek. With that said, as I pointed out, there are situations that you can set up for those long range opportunities. Mostly, in East Texas, we are dealing with woods, though. Good Hunting!
The whole point of this site is long range hunting. If you have a problem with that then ...

:) haha. We're good. It all depends on where you want to put your personal limits. He asked about if we had opportunities for long range targets. The answer is yes, but I generally am not recognizing the distances he is probably looking for, simply because I am not looking for them.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.