Easiest OEM Rifle to Build Off? Budget saver?

Muddyboots

Ok, what rifle is the easiest to utilize for a build such lot of the OE components can be used. For example, Savage receiver, trigger, stock, dbm - can you build what you want? Tikka actions for flexibility of length? I want to do another build but several major house repairs has cratered my budget so to do so I need to use what I can from OE. One of the biggest issues for me is the COAL for what I want to do with .270 Win with 1:8 twist. I have found a used Savage Storm for good deal and just to have a build I can just swap barrel for a "quickie" build. Barrel contours are issue for OE stocks as well. But open for other suggestions. My budget is about only $700 so this is without optics. I have some optics to swap around. I should wait but at 70 I feel like I don't want to wait a year for budget to recover. I really want to have this ready for fall muley hunt if I draw tag.

Let's get creative! I even looked at new Browning LR .270 at 26" but wth still 1:10 twist. What are they thinking?

Savage hands down. Remington also since the Remage barrel set ups came out. Remington offers better stock options for sure. Not all cheap ones but more than savage does.
VLD, looking to find a used Remmie but impossible so far. The real winner would be old Sendero, good luck on that. Hitting even pawn shops.

With all the new super long high BC bullets coming out, being able to seat them out near the lands while still being able to fit into a magazine might be a problem on just about anything.
I've got a safe full of rifles that I've used Savage action's with. But, Tikka's are a lot smoother and also have decent factory triggers.

That would be great! I have a G1 Sendero that absolutely love to shoot in 300WM. Just does everything I need it to do LR.
I have a Rem 700 Sendero in 7mm magnum. Been in my safe for years. Killed a few deer with it but it mostly sits today. I'm not big on selling guns so it will go to my kids or grandkids. I have so many guns I've built that I rarely use any of my factory guns today. Occasionally I'll get the old traditional bug and take out an old semi auto loader to hunt with but rarely. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

So the price was decent for the Savage 110 Storm in .270 but the stock was really gnarled up with gouges but that wasn't the issue. The "accustock" felt like absolute crap in my hands. Functional as advertised but man did I not like the feel or fit etc. Thinking that over some more while keep looking for a Remington. Had a 700LR in 7RM but to switch it over to standard is PITA so passed on it though the stock was great in comparison. Now I am thinking converting my 52 yr old 110C over to AICS or internal box with a Boyd's. $$$$$ is not what I was hoping to do. Then a new barrel may still be "close" to budget!

You know the 700 is like a small block chevy parts original and after market are every where and pretty cheap makes it hard to not work off of one if you dont want to use a smith a barrel nut system works just fine and makes it easy to swap barrels at any time savage is always a pretty good option also

For sure! I recently did a Remage on 300WSM that went perfect so that is definitely an option as well but then again a 06AI in 26" barrel may be interesting with 180 HH's.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.