Easiest OEM Rifle to Build Off? Budget saver?

Good luck with your project. I just picked up a NIB Rem 783 in 270, will order a Criterion 284 to spin on and try as soon as I decide between heavy sporter or light varmint for contour.

Good luck with your project. I just picked up a NIB Rem 783 in 270, will order a Criterion 284 to spin on and try as soon as I decide between heavy sporter or light varmint for contour.
DLJ6, enlighten me on the Rem. 783; action any good, after market parts availability, easy or hard to work on, etc. I have a line on a cheap, used -06 and want to do a slight build and this would save me from thinking about sacrificing one of my Tikkas.

DLJ6, enlighten me on the Rem. 783; action any good, after market parts availability, easy or hard to work on, etc. I have a line on a cheap, used -06 and want to do a slight build and this would save me from thinking about sacrificing one of my Tikkas.
MTGeez, I shot you a PM with some links. Sorry for the delay.

Ok, what rifle is the easiest to utilize for a build such lot of the OE components can be used. For example, Savage receiver, trigger, stock, dbm - can you build what you want? Tikka actions for flexibility of length? I want to do another build but several major house repairs has cratered my budget so to do so I need to use what I can from OE. One of the biggest issues for me is the COAL for what I want to do with .270 Win with 1:8 twist. I have found a used Savage Storm for good deal and just to have a build I can just swap barrel for a "quickie" build. Barrel contours are issue for OE stocks as well. But open for other suggestions. My budget is about only $700 so this is without optics. I have some optics to swap around. I should wait but at 70 I feel like I don't want to wait a year for budget to recover. I really want to have this ready for fall muley hunt if I draw tag.

Let's get creative! I even looked at new Browning LR .270 at 26" but wth still 1:10 twist. What are they thinking?
Savage if you can purchase the donor with a stock you like at a good price or find a deal on a savage stock. I've found it hard to find a deal on a nice savage stock where as nice Remington stocks can be more available to find a nice used stock for a good price. In the end if you have to spend more for a savage stock, completed cost may be really close to a budget remington build. I've done both. No regrets either way.

So the price was decent for the Savage 110 Storm in .270 but the stock was really gnarled up with gouges but that wasn't the issue. The "accustock" felt like absolute crap in my hands. Functional as advertised but man did I not like the feel or fit etc. Thinking that over some more while keep looking for a Remington. Had a 700LR in 7RM but to switch it over to standard is PITA so passed on it though the stock was great in comparison. Now I am thinking converting my 52 yr old 110C over to AICS or internal box with a Boyd's. $$$$$ is not what I was hoping to do. Then a new barrel may still be "close" to budget!
I see in later post that you already went a different route than the savage, but here is what I did for future references. I too hated the feel of the "accustock" so I got a little creative. I took a grinder and went to work, removing a bunch of material. Removed the cheesy adjustable riser, added some bondo with some sanding/shaping, added some paint and "whoala" now I love it. Spent $20 on Supplies.

Attachments

• E2871EF0-A273-496B-B3A3-34814AC58CC9.jpeg
    E2871EF0-A273-496B-B3A3-34814AC58CC9.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 73
  • C2BD5AD0-F723-470F-91AB-9F74DF081154.jpeg
    C2BD5AD0-F723-470F-91AB-9F74DF081154.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 61
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.