Earliest rifle pronghorn hunts?

Guy M

My son's college starts on/about September 20th this coming fall.

Anyone know of a pronghorn rifle season prior to that? I'd like to take the young man for pronghorn, but he has to work around his school schedule...

We're in Washington State - but don't mind an 800 mile drive to Wyoming or wherever if necessary.

Thanks, Guy

Pronghorn Antelope seasons before school starts can be found in Nevada, Oregon, Utah, and others, but by the time you get drawn it might be your grandson you take. Wyoming
and Montana in units that have good drawing odds can have access issues. Wyoming applications are due March 15. Their units don't all have the earlier start dates.
If you don't have the details ironed out consider a guided hunt. They often have the access to tags that are easier to draw. I'd call Sy Gilliand at SNS Outfitters 307 266-4229. They've got hunts of varied expense (Montana and Wyoming) and is real up front about the details on all their hunts. I hunted elk with them a few years back and was extremely pleased. If nothing else he can probably explain the application process to you. Good luck

Hey HARPERC---Where did you hunt elk with Sy? Might it have been in unit 48 on the Orchard Ranch?

Guy M---Wyoming would be out for you, as all the seasons that start between 9/3 and 9/10 require several or more PPs to draw a tag!!!

Last edited:
Topgun 30-06

Yes that elk hunt with SNS was unit 48 the orchard ranch. about 10 years ago now. I'd have to hunt down my tag to be sure. Have we crossed paths?

Agree most of the antelope units with those dates require points. I just wasn't certain if some unit with private land in Montana or Wyoming met his needs. This non resident stuff gets more complicated every year.

I was on a horseback hunt with Sy for mulies when he was first getting started down there in 1994. The reason I asked where you went is I believe that's the only area he does elk hunts in other than in the operation he just bought out way over in the Greys River area several years ago. They operate very good camp IMO!

Topgun 30-06

I"ve been looking through this years brochure and I think you're correct about the Grey's River being their other elk hunt. I'm building points in Wyoming and if the wolves don't put everything else on the endangered list I might try the Grey's River moose/elk hunt. If not I'll probably go back the Orchard ranch hunt. Literally the most fun I ever had in my life. I usually hope to lose a few pounds on a hunting trip gained a few on that one.
Got to finish up getting my son through college, then maybe one more horseback trip if I'm still able.

Topgun 30-06
Yes we saw a lot of animals, and I took a nice 6x6. However, the highpoint of the trip was
having a herd of about 300+ elk between us and camp at dark. We rode through the middle of them. Elk all around us moving out just in front of the horses, just shadows in the moonlight-cows calling-making noise like seagulls at the dump. Big bull bugling within about 50 yards. Ponies dancing on their toes. Quite frankly it was one of those surreal things that if it hadn't happened to me I'm not sure I'd believe. It was one of those trips that was so perfect you hesitate to go back thinking maybe your expectations will be too high.

Were you staying down along Trout Creek in the tent camp where they now have nice buildings or up higher on the mountain to the southeast in their cabin? What did you see in the way of mulie bucks on your hunt?

Topgun 30-06
I stayed in the lodge/cabins. I saw a fair amount of mulie bucks. Enough size to keep an average mulie guy like me intrigued, but nothing that would cause palpitations in a hard core trophy mule deer slayer.

Back in 1994 it was about the same way, but I think the buck numbers were down somewhat compared to when you were there. I don't think the genetics in that whole area is conducive to real good deer racks for some reason, at least not ones like I'm looking for! Sy had wall tents along Trout Creek when I was there and then some time ago made some buildings and that lodge you are talking about. That probably makes it a lot more pleasant stay down there when you get off your horse at the end of the day!

Topgun 30-06
The camp is nice-almost too-nice. it's a temptation to just sit by the stove play cards, swap lies, and drink coffee all day. If you still get his brochure-this year, page 14, top dead center is me

Just got the brochure the first of the week. That's a nice bull with real nice 4ths. Did you have him scored? I'm going to guess that he is a good 340", but it's a little hard to tell in a picture that small. The draw was real tough when you got him before they started the PP sytem and still takes near max PPs to draw. How manys times did you try to draw the tag and how did you pick SnS to do that hunt?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.