E collars for dog training/ tracking ...

Wile E Coyote

A question for those who use E collars for their dogs. What brand and model do you use and why?

I've been using one particular model/brand for general obedience training for quite some time. Unfortunately it is discontinued and no longer available. Since I'll have to get a few replacements soon, I'm curious as to what others are using.

Briefly, we're obedience training and reinforcing training of rescued retrievers as companion dogs. We do only very little hunting training and then only on my own dogs. We quickly get them to the point where the tone feature is used 99.44% of the time. Thus tone is the most important capability for our needs as is a 1/2 mile range at a minimum.

Anyone? Thanks.

Pete

Pete,

I have been using Sport Dog 800 (discontinued but still have support and is replaced by Shop for SportHunter® 825 by SportDOG - SD-825) on Thor, my Karelian Bear Dog for the last 5 years with very good success and no problems. However, this model is only good for 1/2 mile and you might want to check out the models with further range for your purpose.

Like you, all I use on him these days is the aural tone.

Price, quality, reputation, ease of use, and features is what led me in purchasing this e-collar.

Good luck!

Ed

Attachments

• P2242142.JPG
    P2242142.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 18
Garmin/tritronics 550 pro it is as good as it gets. A good friend of mine uses them daily to train 30 dogs. And I use the a tritronic pro 500 daily for 5 years now with no problems.

Tri-Tronics Pro100 G3 EXP on my Drahthaar and its a perfect pair. Quality waterproof and just perfect performance for the last 4 years.

Highly recommend Tri-Tronics products.

Best of luck.

Brian

Have been using SD800's for a while now and when they work, they did almost everything we needed them to do. However, we have found them to not be durable enough. Over the past 6 years, the dogs (4) and I have been through 5 units and I'm down to one working transmitter and 2 receivers. These are cobbled together from the remains I have left.

I'm going to look further into the Tri-Tronics units because they have been recommended by several others also.

Thanks

Pete

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.