E-calls frequencies

I'm sure most have read how animals hear at much higher frequencies than most calls put out.
That being said, the newer Higher priced calls include tweeters. Whether they are ribbon tweeters or not I'm not sure.
Does anybody feel they call in more predators than the older say FP CS24 , Banshee or the lower tier FP. You can put the Icotec or Primos calls in the same category.
I have a Banshee and an Icotec Outlaw which both are good calls and I like the sounds on both. And are plenty loud enough. I have called in Coyotes with both. They are both pretty much the same Horn Speaker tho.
I was debating on maybe selling one and upgrading. I'm not sure if it's worth it though. I was wondering of others thoughts.
Thanks
Edit to add I should've phrased it better. Most rabbits and other animals distress sounds are at a higher frequency than a call will put out

Last edited:
IMO, it don't matter much, after all, the sounds that we currently use to call coyotes don't live in that upper range of frequencies. Another thing to consider is that the higher the frequency, the more directional it becomes. Meaning, if the high pitch isn't either loud enough or pointed in the right direction, the predator still isn't going to hear it.
I find it hard to believe that by adding a tweeter, a guy is going to call a coyote that would have otherwise not responded because he wasn't hearing the full range of frequencies. Now, my opinion would change IF the sounds that the coyote could ONLY hear were at the higher end of the frequency chart, BUT they're not. I'm not disputing that a coyote can hear higher frequencies then most calls put out, I'm just saying that it must not really matter when you look at the success that electronic calls bring.

About the only reason you might want to change calls is to have a whole new catalogue of different sounds at your disposal then you already have.

"He said the calls we use don't live in the upper range of frequencies" I'm confused by that.
Think of a dog whistle
The calls we use only go to around 20k khz. A coyote can hear to I think 40k khz. If I remember correctly a baby rabbit scream went up to 70k and mice went 90k. It's been a while since I read it.
I do know I've called a lot more coyotes with hand calls than I have E-calls and I feel there has to be a reason and it could be because it covers the whole range of frequencies.
You can say it's because everybody has a FP or whatever and the coyotes know the sounds but that's not really true where I live. And I've seen too many times where a place has been called to death where a person can come In with an E-call and call Coyotes.
Some tweeters (ribbon tweeters) can go to 40k khz and above. And I know Burnham Bros have been talking about releasing a ultrasonic call for a while.
I was asking if the people who have the newer calls with tweeters feel they call more predators in? It makes sense to me that it would be more realistic to a coyote.
Has anybody went from an older call to a newer one and noticed a difference?

I have been hand calls for 36 years, just have my 1st e-caller this year (roughneck) so I cannot answer your question...…….the e-caller sounds unbelievably realistic to me, but a week ago I had a coyote running in like crazy to my hand call. :oops: till she had cardiac arrest with a 39 grain pill.

For years when we didn't have e-calls we used tape calls they didn't reproduce the frequencies either . I used memorex tapes and made my own tapes but then the players couldn't reproduce them . We then got the e-calls at first they weren't good at reproducing the frequencies either , The newer ones do better but hand calls still do better at reproducing all of the frequencies and as we all know no two callers will call the same as another caller with the hand calls . A lot of the problems we see with the e-calls , in my opinion , is they are over used played too long , too loud and by too many people as they are easily available and as with most other things we don't really have any forms of training in their us we just get them then go out and use them . A lot of weekend hunters now have them it's a sport and we all enjoy doing it and it really takes study of the coyote to get good at calling and hunting them but then you have the e-calls that make it easy for people to use them and have some success . As one of my fellow control workers told me once , when you have someone that calls in a coyote for the first time they're hooked for life and may or may not advance in their skills . The ones that do are good the ones that don't make life hard for the ones that need to do it and the ones that advance in the skill of calling , but they still have the right to do coyote calling . In short e-calls are abused so hand calls will do better but take more on the users part to master and cheaper to buy and some aren't what they should be .

10 years ago or more Les Johnson gave one of his seminars on calling here and sold calls and for a few years, life afterwards was rugged for people that had been doing it a while. most of the new people eventually wore out there sightings and weren't able to call educated coyotes and quit, Dsheetz is right you either get better at your game or you get disappointed and quit. I am glad the hand call is always a great back up....been using one here for 37 years and a couple years in the old country, but I also have e-caller and a couple pairs of Binoculars...…..and a little bit of coyote understanding.

Last edited:
I should've phrased it better. Most rabbits and other animals distress sounds are at a higher frequency than a call will put out
Maybe you mean to say that part of a rabbits distress is at a frequency that the call can't put out, BUT fact is most of a rabbit squeal IS in the frequency range that calls, these days, CAN produce. Otherwise, no sound would be heard by us, or a predator. Does a tweeter make all the difference in the world, I haven't seen any noticeable difference since getting a call with a tweeter.
It's a dang rare occasion for me to blow a hand call these days. I always have a couple of calls on my lanyard, but unless batteries die, they don't get used.

TRnCO I have not seen a video where Les killed a quad, may have done it but I haven't seen it.....but you have quite a few (7 of them) 👍👍🤝👌 think about that......quit watching Les and start talking to Tim!!! I have seen lots of his shows lately that a pair comes in and he gets one, heck anyone can do that. Killing both consistently is different deal and he does it at times, but it is something we all strive for as the one that gets away is educated for that sound or scenario.

Last edited:
Tim I tell you what, I ain't known anyone that has done what you have done, 7 quads, that tells me you had quite a few triples.........and a six pack, wow! Reason I know you have had a lot of triples is.......when I shot trap doubles I had a lot of 99/100 in practice before I went 100/100 and then I shot 5 100 straights in practice before I did one registered.....that's how I know. You are kinda of a stud muffin silencer coyote killer😳😳😳😉🤝👌👌🙏 I listened to a tape of Bill Austin's where he killed either 4 or 5.......ol Dave may have had some multiples also......I still have a ways to go on learning 😔😉

Last edited:
Tim and Reemty , I hope that I never stop learning or wanting to learn . I also like to try and share my mistakes and things I've learned perhaps I can save someone from learning things the hard way .

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.