E-BIKES - the way to hunt in the west

Now if y'all had a good woman with strong legs, she would carry you from stand to stand with your Grear. NO NEED for "E" Bikes" and quite.

OIP.pslSzEZzFkjWJnA5gmdxjgHaOY
If I had one of those I'd be riding it all day and not hunting.

Keep in mind bikes and e-bikes are not allowed in designated wilderness areas.
And even some state lands it is confusing what it is allowed. Some of the rules are tough to figure out as finding them is a challenge on it's own

All E Bikers can do what they want as far as using them. My only request is they actually read the rules and regulations published the most current version and abide by those rules and laws! E bikes are regulated and legislated differently in each state and by each agency responsible for the land you operate them on. If I see one violating the restrictions I turn them in. With my sat communicator I now get to turn them in immediately with their GPS location and many times where their vehicle is located.

And even some state lands it is confusing what it is allowed. Some of the rules are tough to figure out as finding them is a challenge on it's own
Not if you really want to find the current and specific regulations in todays information availability at the click of a key or dial of a phone.

Not if you really want to find the current and specific regulations in todays information availability at the click of a key or dial of a phone.
Then you have had better luck then me. Certain land ownerships I had a tough time and even when I called people I know that currently work for the USFS they said many of the rules are still a little grey

Then you have had better luck then me. Certain land ownerships I had a tough time and even when I called people I know that currently work for the USFS they said many of the rules are still a little grey
Yep, If you get an office jockey or phone answerer they know almost nothing. I flagged down the USFS enforcement guy, and a county deputy who is contracted with the forrest service to provide patrols in our area where the ebikes are out of control. They gave me the specific information including the DNR, and wildlife lands information. I then looked it up and verified with my own reading what it said.

Yep, If you get an office jockey or phone answerer they know almost nothing. I flagged down the USFS enforcement guy, and a county deputy who is contracted with the forrest service to provide patrols in our area where the ebikes are out of control. They gave me the specific information including the DNR, and wildlife lands information. I then looked it up and verified with my own reading what it said.
Yep. it is still a little confusing. I admit to MAYBE taking mine once where I was not supposed to be due to getting lack of consistent info. Forest service land on established 2 track road. Got conflicting info if it was legal and I still don't even know for sure. The 2 track was established but was gated off to trucks. One person said if I stayed on the 2 track I was ok, the next said if it was gated off to trucks it was not. I know for a fact one of the places I go in Colorado it is legal, but the one I go to in MT may not. I for the life of me see no difference as they are both USFS land not in wilderness and both not open to trucks unless you have a key to the gate because you have cattle, or an easement. They need to work on the clarification

In southern Nevada the rules for where e-bike riding is legal have been made fairly clear and so far I see all e-bikers obeying them when I'm out hiking.
In fact my experience with both mountain bikers and e-mountain bikers is that mountain bikers are more likely to be riding too fast near and around hikers than are e-mountain bikers. Our trails in Henderson, NV see roughly 35% of the users as saome form of mountain biking.
I take delivery of my e-mtb in mid February and plan on a lot of trail riding to learn how to use it with skill.

CHARGING AN E-MOUNTAIN BIKE ON WEEK LONG HUNTS - my solution

1.) BATTERY-> BLUETTI AC200 MAX (has lithium iron phosphate media for thousands more charge/discharge cycles than lithium ion batteries and NO fire danger.) This LFP battery is only a tad heavier than Li-ion battery of the same power.
2.) SOLAR BLANKET-> Off Grid TREK (best, most portable foldable solar panels to charge the Bluetti)
3.) On returning to camp after a day of hunting I'll plug my bike into the BLUETTI "solar generator"as they are called. about 3 hours charge time is enough to top off batteries that are 50% depleted.

I don't want a small Honda gas generator and the many cans of gasoline I'd have to carry for it.
Additionally I can use this solar/battery combination to power home appliances if there is an extended power outage where I live.

Last edited:
Would that mean all the guys on ATVs are "too old for hunting"? I'm definitely in better shape for hunting than 80% of the guys I see riding ATVs but at 7,000 to over 8,00 feet that ridge running and gully jumping with a meat pack and rifle is a bit harder at my age. Covering more than one mile a day (one way) at those altitudes and on steep mountain makes for very little area hunted, thus the need for an E- mountain bike.

All I'm saying is that an E-mountain bile seems to make a lot more sense to me than an ATV.
innuits everywhere look at their snownmobiles and think "I'm so toxic. I should give this up and go back to hunting on foot"

innuits everywhere look at their snownmobiles and think "I'm so toxic. I should give this up and go back to hunting on foot"
E bikes for hunting? Yes , but which ones are capable of the hard use of traversing rough terrain and has the batteries to handle get there and back reserve power? Or you have to take multiple batteries along? There are so many on the market and fairly expensive to purchase to choose a model that doesn't do the job. To include repair kits etc.or are the tires foam filled. when I was 25 a day pack and a good pair of vibrams we would leave camp at 4:30 am and get back well after dark. Now my atv is my workhorse and trusted friend that I can put in the barn with no worries of feed and grooming other than an oil change once a year. So the e-bike does sound interesting.

First, I don't care about what happens in Canada. Canada has their own rules and management.

Second, places like Alaska, a snowmobile is used like a truck in the west. That's not the same thing as a geri having special exceptions, speeding past everyone else who has to walk. It's hard enough in public areas.

If It's a public road/forest service road or ohv…whatever.

If we are talking about opening up wilderness and so forth to motorized access, the cons out weigh the fact that when you get old, western hunting becomes harder if not impossible.

Last edited: