E-bike

I have checked out quiet cat, Rambo and a couple others want one very badly just can't do it right now

Bill,

I know what you mean I have been monitoring prices/comparing features and they have come down significantly in the last year or so. However, Rambo is not one of them. The newer competitors are the ones driving the prices down. My local Scheels has an e-bike for the same price as mine but it is only 450W and mine has more features and standard accessories included.

Ed

Bill,

I know what you mean I have been monitoring prices/comparing features and they have come down significantly in the last year or so. However, Rambo is not one of them. The newer competitors are the ones driving the prices down. My local Scheels has an e-bike for the same price as mine but it is only 450W and mine has more features and standard accessories included.

Ed

Agreed, which is exactly why I bought the Aspen model from Leon Cycles. Under $1300 and it's 500W.

Bill,

Ed
I have a decent mountain bike I've looked at the baofang
B31B98B7-65B9-4641-AA6D-91C402A9644C.jpeg
motors as well maybe I'll end up going that route

So this is of the DOI website on the policy for E-Bikes. I underlined for emphasis.
Excerpt from policy memorandum:
Required Actions
Superintendents are directed to manage e-bikes consistent with this Memorandum under the authority in 36 CFR 1.5(a)(2). This authority allows superintendents to designate areas for a specific use or activity, or impose conditions or restrictions on a use or activity. Superintendents must take the following actions as soon as possible, but no later than 30 days after the issuance of this Memorandum or the introduction of e-bikes in the park area, whichever is later:

1.Insert the following language in the park compendium: The term "e-bike" means a two- or three-wheeled cycle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.). E-bikes are allowed in [insert name of park] where traditional bicycles are allowed.E-bikes are prohibited where traditional bicycles are prohibited. Except where use of motor vehicles by the public is allowed, using the electric motor to move an e-bikewithout pedaling is prohibited. A person operating an e-bike is subject to the following sections of 36 CFR part 4 that apply to the use of traditional bicycles: sections 4.12, 4.13, 4.20, 4.21, 4.22, 4.23, and 4.30(h)(2)-(5). Except as specified in this Compendium, the use of an e-bike within [insert name of park] is governed by State law, which is adopted and made a part of this Compendium. Any violation of State law adopted by this paragraph is prohibited.

2. Comply with the requirements in 36 CFR 1.5, including the requirement to provide adequate public notice in accordance with 36 CFR 1.7. 3.Comply with all applicable laws implicated by the compendium action, including the National Environmental Policy Act of 1969 (NEPA). The compendium action will ordinarily fall within the categorical exclusion specified in section 3.3.D.3 of the National Park Service NEPA Handbook for which documentation is required.6

=========================================================================
So if a land manager does not wish to comply with a Direct Policy Memorandum, I would provide a copy of this Policy and request they respond in writing if their PERSONAL policy differs from DOI. When discussing legal requirements with anyone in government you have to be from Missouri! SHOW ME state so provide the opinion in writing. The Policy Memorandum is quite clear that Superintendents ARE DIRECTED to comply with this Policy memorandum and not being asked nor providing any opportunity to manage E-Bikes different from the Policy Memorandum. I have worked with Local, State and Federal throughout my career and if you do not question their opinions for reference sometimes they will take some serious latitude that is not within their authority to do so.

The interesting legal dilemma I see is the Policy clearly states the electric assist motor has to be LESS than 750 watts (1 HP) whereas most off road style e-bikes state 750 or higher so technically they are not allowed. So interesting thought, maybe this is how they intend to prohibit just by limitation on watts recognizing all OFF ROAD style bikes pretty much claim 750 watts to meet 1 HP. For those who do not have experience in regulations, the letter of the policy is clear so if your bike is 750 watts or more, they are not legal to ride within the Federal Parks unless compliant to state law as a motor vehicle for use on roads. So all we need now is to have specs on bikes state 749 max watts! For example, Quiet Kat, Rambo, Bakcou are 750-1500 watts so they are clearly not meeting the max requirement. The policy seems to be written for the bicycle electric assist not off road fat tire serious E-Bike use. So if you can get by with less than 750 Watts, then you do have legal right to ride according to DOI Policy memo.

Attachments

• PM_19-01.pdf
    303.5 KB · Views: 52
I left out a paragraph discussion which as important where the policy memorandum gives the superintendent authority to restrict use as well which essentially means this policy only provides standard of use ONLY if the the superintendent wishes to allow the use. The policy essentially has no bearing on actual use. So no bikes are allowed then nothing changes.

And Im guessing outfitters, packers and trail ride companies are being pretty vocal to BLM about how EBikes will ruin their livelihoods, lol
EBike companies need a video to send to government officials showing how little damage to the forest floor vs livestock.
These bikes wont be taking over anywhere, they are expensive and batteries are not yet the device we need them to be.
When hang gliders and ultralight planes were developed there was lots of opposition, government saying the skies would be cluttered with these, but we all know that "sky is falling" syndrome didnt play out.
Keep calling and emailing all the right representatives to open up public spaces to the Public again!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts