E-bike

I'm not really an anti-government kind of person but every once in a while I just have to shake my head and say "WHY?"-- I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies. At then end of the day it's resource protection from idiots who, with an ebike, would have easier access to engage in stupidity and we pay the price. But still, I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies!

I hope this doesn't run afoul of the politics rule. If you think it does, I'll delete it.

From what I was told it was a lawsuit from a backcountry horsemans group, which even having horses myself I find ironic since cruising down a trail with electric assistance and fatty tires does less damage by FAR than a string of horses.

Really? Idiots with an Ebike? lol, Like how many of those you encountered...
Just hunters trying to get away from the truck hunters and find some peace in the back country.

I'm not really an anti-government kind of person but every once in a while I just have to shake my head and say "WHY?"-- I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies. At then end of the day it's resource protection from idiots who, with an ebike, would have easier access to engage in stupidity and we pay the price. But still, I hate lazy, one-size-fits-all policies!

I hope this doesn't run afoul of the politics rule. If you think it does, I'll delete it.

I wanted to buy the electric 3 wheel QuiteKat no pedals For hunting. But it seems you cannot use them on public ground anywhere.
I think if I bought a ebike or the 3 wheeler model QuiteKat with no pedals I would force the salesman to show me in writing we're I could use them. The salesman I talked to would not even go there in conversation where I could use one. Not good. That's the very reason sportsman are not buying them. MD

I find it's best just to go to the guy who's patrolling and get it from the horses mouth, in my case he's a good friend and he recently ran it up through command and told me it's a no go on National Forest which is his responsibility.

Yep! The supervisor I talked to also gave their latest recreation and travel map (2020) that reflects their stance on e-bikes.

E-bike MT use restriction.jpg

What everyone is missing...
There are electric bicycles..that have pedals....
then...
there are electric motorcycles.....without pedals...
this can be a problem..as the electric motorcycles can not only fly down the road..they also have linger power supplies.....some go 150 miles on single charge.....SO....a person without this knowledge in a position to say yeah or nea should be notified....
Could make huge differences in where electric bicycles can be used...

Ya, it sucks, I was all geared up to get into some spring bear areas to try to thin it down without dragging the speed donkeys out.
What everyone is missing...
There are electric bicycles..that have pedals....
then...
there are electric motorcycles.....without pedals...
this can be a problem..as the electric motorcycles can not only fly down the road..they also have linger power supplies.....some go 150 miles on single charge.....SO....a person without this knowledge in a position to say yeah or nea should be notified....
Could make huge differences in where electric bicycles can be used...
Pedals or not makes no difference!

Check with state DMV...if it has pedals and chain driven...it is not motorized...thats should be a piece of paper handed to any blm fs or state guy....and the state guy 'has to accept' that paperwork...

...Pedals or not makes no difference!
Check with state DMV...if it has pedals and chain driven...it is not motorized...thats should be a piece of paper handed to any blm fs or state guy....and the state guy 'has to accept' that paperwork...

Actually, there are reasonably clear legal definitions which clearly separate e-bikes from e-motos (as there should be).

The problem with the BLM/NFS, is that they essentially treat all vehicles as "stay on the road/trail", and therefore ORV and bicycle (e-bike or otherwise) are essentially the same in their eyes. This isn't exactly crazy, as I don't think people should just be bushwacking willy nilly around, but at the same time, if you allow a horse on the trail, I think you should allow a bicycle (class 1 and 2 at least).

This is for regular bicycles, not e-bikes, but note the first heading..."Stay on open forest roads".

Perhaps with the new guidance and legislation mentioned by others, things will clear up, and solidify. At this point though, it's a bit of a tangle, as apparently the local public land branches are allowed to interpret the rules how they see fit.

In my experience, law enforcers are rarely out to get you, unless you're doing something stupid or flagrant. That said, I personally err on the side of caution, and will only use my bike where I could use any other vehicle. For me, it's not about getting extra access, it's about getting silent access, and access to places that a quad or truck might not be nimble enough to make it.

I have checked out quiet cat, Rambo and a couple others want one very badly just can't do it right now
They are a trend right now and that means pricy $$$ but with everyone wanting one and everyone making them the price will come down and the features and power will go up🤠 as people get to understanding that if you use a car or truck to get to your hunting grounds the 🦌 will key in on your door closings to pick you out. If you use a Quiet bike they soon key on tire noises. So in a year they're going to be cheap and plentiful 🤠

They are a trend right now and that means pricy $$$ but with everyone wanting one and everyone making them the price will come down and the features and power will go up🤠 as people get to understanding that if you use a car or truck to get to your hunting grounds the 🦌 will key in on your door closings to pick you out. If you use a Quiet bike they soon key on tire noises. So in a year they're going to be cheap and plentiful 🤠
I really like the quiet cat bike certain design features etc. but what really puts it over to the top for me is the trailer that comes with it the weight capacity etc. but the price is what makes it a no go so far

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts